Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kyosho Fairwind III  (Read 5489 times)

amdaylight

Kyosho Fairwind III
« on: January 03, 2009, 03:41:31 pm »

Greetings Friends,

I have just purchased the Kyosho Fairwind III and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them? I picked this boat because I liked the way it looks, more like a scale model than a racing boat. The next question is it possible to rebuild boats like these to have two sail winches and remove the jib boom, I used to own a full size racing sail boat and the boom under the jib kind of bugs me. So I was thinking of changing the rig to a three channel radio with one servo for the jib, one servo for the main and the third for the rudder or should I leave it the way it is and just enjoy it?

Andre :-)

over yonder in Portland Oregon

pneumatician

Re: Kyosho Fairwind III
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 11:23:54 pm »

I have owned a Fairwind for about 3 years. I just sail it as is, as I am quite content to poodle about on the pool.  But upon consideration a dont see any reason why sail winches could not be installed there is plenty of room and access is not to bad.

I thought it quite big untill it sailed way out on lake Thun in Switzerland. Orientation then became quite a problem.  Ie:- was it coming or going ??

Nice big boys toy.

Steve

andyn

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 11:13:45 am »

How about using the third channel on a sail winch to hoist a spinnaker? Just a thought

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 12:16:38 pm »

Hi Amdaylight.  In practice the sails run in and out in parallel.  You can tune the jib / boom relationship with a simple bowsie hand adjustment on the jib at the lake side.  Otherwise go for the 3 ch. option, have the main sail winch control both sails but have a 3rd. ch servo to give additional jib movement in and out for tuning..

If you want to remove the jib boom you will still need to have an 'invisible' boom there as the jib will just fold up as the wind gets behind it.
You might like to try a not too stiff length of piano wire inserted into the lower seam of the jib.  I have used this and it works fine.

I built an early Fairwind about 12 years ago and this used an arm winch and it worked very well.

By the way have your sails got serious folds in them, as mine had?  If so let me know and I will post my solution to this.

good luck
regards Roy

AndyT

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 05:29:59 pm »

Hi Roy ~ re your serious folds solution ~ please explain solution
Rgds
AndyT

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 11:36:49 am »

Hi Andy.  I found that the sails I had in my Kyosho Farwind kit had been folded.  I hung them out but the folds persisted.  The material is a man made fibre so should respond to limited heat application.

I turned on the iron to a low setting and then laid out the sails on an ironing board. I covered the sails (in part) with  a wet handkerchief and ironed over the handkerchief until it dried out.

The wet handerchief is only there as a temperature indicator.

If the folds are still there, wet the hanky again and repeat.  Keep on doing this until all folds are gone.  Mine came out after several goes.

I was worried that if I used the iron too long and the sails got hot that they might shrink.

There were no problems using the above method, just remember that as soon as the hanky dries out the temperature can rise above boiling point very quickly.

Hope this helps,
regards Roy

amdaylight

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 02:16:34 pm »

I noticed that same thing (the crease lines in the sails) from being folded in the box, I have set them on the mast and was hopping that they would hang out (the creases), we shall see. If they don't I will use the iron and wet handkerchief method that you described.

Andre
over yonder in Portland Oregon 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.