Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Endurance nearly sinks  (Read 17640 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Endurance nearly sinks
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2009, 04:55:05 pm »

She could be on the way to the Falklands for assisted maintenance, is the Diligence there at the moment as she is normally based there with a full RN maintenance team for such emergencies. But talking of silly money, I know that the MoD originally programmed to refit and upgrade all the RFA Sir class landing vessels at £20mil each instead of replacing them with new. The first one was taken in hand at Rosyth, when the total came to £139mil before completion the secret stamp came down and the rest of the class were not upgraded and were put on the disposal list, then the Bay clas where ordered.
Although I agree with your general gist you are a bit wrong. "Tristram" was brought "home", lengthened and upgraded. She was the expensive one. After that "Bedivere" was upgraded....with cost over-runs. But this has to be seen in the light of the MoD(N) tardiness in signing off the design of the "Bay" class design. If the "Bays" had been cleared for building when first mooted then the "SLEP" of the LSLs wouldn't have been necessary. And of course there was the inter-service rivalry. i.e. were the new ships to be Army orientated or Navy or something in-between? Poor old RFA got caught in ithe in-fighting I think.
Interesting that you brought "Diligence" into the equation though. I may be wrong, but I thought you were on the side of those who thought that she was a bit of a waste of money. I doubt if she will be of any help here as I think she is still re-fitting after many years away from the UK, primarily in the Gulf. But like I said earlier, let's just wait and see. My own preference (if we as a country) could afford it, would be to have a purpose built RN/RFA ship on station rather than buying in a basically commercial vessel and "converting" it to "near" requirements. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2009, 05:49:43 pm »

How long - and how much - to produce a RFA/RN purpose-built? Maybe the RFA could manage it but bring in the MoD and RN and it will be obsolete before it hits the water.

Barry M

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 07:29:31 pm »

Oh,my goodness Barry. You do seem to have an unnerving facility for identifying a basic problem. Typical bloody sailor.
What a pity that "those who know" don't.
Not all that long ago the RN had a sub-rescue ship built at vast expense. A pretty big ship. (her name escapes me) but she sat alongside the wall and never did anything that I am aware of. Typical of the Mod to build a ship designed for one purpose only, and useless for anything else. And you wonder why I hold the "Constructors" in such low esteem.
There is a pervading attitude within the Naval Constructors camp that they are always "the best" (an attitude drilled into all RN Officers) and therefore they will always reject any new ideas that do not originate "in house" until when the light dawns it is too late to catch up. The "Amazon" class of frigates is a good case in point. Because they were designed and built outside of the Constructors "box" they were never given the chance to develop. So we now get to the point where cost-overuns, design changes, re-negotionating of signed contracts et-al makes a shipbuilder wonder if it is worth the hassle (so pump up the price and hope they will go away).
"Diligence" is now getting on in years and has been a "life-saver" for ships needing repairs. But she will not go on forever. A "new" "Diligence"? Who would you choose to design it? Who would you choose to build it? What "other" purposes could such a ship carry out? But my bet is that the poor old "Dil" will be expected to carry on until she falls apart and then she will not be replaced. Not much point really, as by then we will not have a Navy that needs repair further away than 12 miles from the UK coast. And with the imminent closure of RN Dockyards she would have to go "commercial"...if there are any. All very sad. BY.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2009, 07:54:42 pm »

Bryan,
You are thinking of HMS CHALLENGER.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2009, 05:52:20 pm »

Bryan,
You are thinking of HMS CHALLENGER.

Bob
Ta for that. What became of her? Just seemed to vanish. There one day and gone the next.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2009, 05:54:52 pm »

I think the Challenger was sold to a drilling company
or something similar

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 06:11:29 pm »

Last heard of working out of Aberdeen.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

craftysod

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 10:49:24 pm »

The 2 yrs i spent on challenger,we didnt do one diving job,it was always doing trials or repairs,and was maintained (diving section) by civilian crew.
And they said it would be cheaper if we bought a fully functional ship from abroad.
Just after i left the white elephant it was sold off
Mark

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2009, 06:35:01 pm »

After my last post on this subject I recalled that I saw her on the Tyne at the Sheppards (?) cable quay. Anyone got any more updates on her? BY.

farrow

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2009, 10:33:17 pm »

Bryan, I was not talking about the Tristiam, the one I remember has already been sold off. As she was a total failure of the exercise to lengthen the vessel and fit a new complete low radar profile sft upperworks at Rosyth. The name may come back to me, but I strongly suspect no one will know what really happened on Endurance as the RN PR machine will as usuall come out with its usual covering story, like they did with Southampton and Nottingham.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2009, 11:18:51 pm »

Bryan,
Is this the one?

Barry M

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2009, 09:33:28 am »

Sorry, this is what should have been inserted above http://www.shipphotos.co.uk/pages/challenger84.htm

Now diamond mining for De Beers

Barry M

farrow

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2009, 11:14:47 pm »

Getting back to my last posting I believe it was Sir Bedivere, about 1996. As to Endurance it was not down to damaged hull, go onto the RN matelote un-official site "rum ration", you will find some interesting tales etc about other commissioned vessels.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2009, 02:32:15 pm »

Getting back to my last posting I believe it was Sir Bedivere, about 1996. As to Endurance it was not down to damaged hull, go onto the RN matelote un-official site "rum ration", you will find some interesting tales etc about other commissioned vessels.
Yeah, it would have been Bedivere. Very odd all that cost overrun etc. as the did have Tristram as the prototype. Still, that class did us proud for more years than was envisaged. I loved them. BY.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2009, 10:33:44 pm »

It was announced on the BBC news tonight that HMS Endurance is to be brought back to the UK on a heavy lift ship with arrival at Portsmouth anticipated at the end of March.

Colin

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2009, 02:37:46 pm »

Had a Portsmouth naval pilot onboard today and he confirmed that she's on her way.  A 210m heavy lift is bringing her back and will be unloaded at Spithead and then towed in to Portsmouth.

farrow

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2009, 10:40:45 pm »

I hear she has a lot of water/oil damage to various compartments, but no structural damage only that caused by flood water.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2009, 07:34:39 pm »

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2009, 09:34:21 pm »

Goodness me! Doesn't she look small! But she isn't a small ship by any means. It's just that the "lifter" is so huge. Got me to wondering what the biggest lift has ever been. I've seen the huge towering thing being taken out from Norway. We've had 2 examples of navigational competence (destroyers) being piggy-backed home...and "Tristram" (but it wasn't her fault). A couple of pretty heavy jobs in and out of the Tyne recently.......but what is the heaviest (not the "bulkiest") "piggy-back" you know of? BY.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2009, 10:03:04 pm »

Exactly what I was thinking Bryan. I was just a few yards away from her in my boat a couple of years back as she came out of Portsmouth entrance and she is certainly not a small ship! She does indeed look small on that heavy lifter.

Colin

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2009, 04:19:46 pm »

Blimey. A lift of 73000 tons would mean that almost any ship in the world could be piggy-backed....assuming the loading deck was long enough. Width doesn't seem to be a problem, does it? I still cannot understand the maths of the stability though. In my younger days I was quite good at working out stability problems, but these things leave me for dead! BY.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2009, 04:50:16 pm »

hi all

isn't it funny how things come around; when I first began to work for PJ Engineering Co, (a small engineering company near where I live) my first 'away' contract was to work aboard the diving vessel 'Challenger' - unhappily our task was to remove all diving chambers/compression chambers/associated workings from her - also to strip out the really well equipped workshops.  All just to go to the scrapman.   Shame....there was an awful lot of 'money' went into someone's pocket.   The other thing, if HMS Endurance is built the same way as the James Clarke Ross Vessel, which PJs also did a lot of work on the hydraulic motors on her, the engineers aboard HMS Endurance would have had a hell of a time, trying to secure any pipework/valvework in emergencies - because everything was literally lagged aboard the James Clarke Ross for thermal reasons.   Before we did any lifting/shoring work which required any lifting points for lifting gear on bulkheads/pipes we had to remove 3 1/2 inches of thermal insulation and steel meshing before we could get to the steel work.   What would normally take say 10 minutes to set up a lifting point for block and tackle; it would take us at least 3 hours at least to get to the bulk head.   So, if it is set out the same as the James Clarke Ross, no wonder the engineers almost lost her.

aye
john
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2009, 05:50:37 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder_Horse

Thunder Horse has problems working out its stability at times.

Barry McKay

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2010, 08:58:13 am »

HMS Endurance flood a 'near loss' incident, report says

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/8574629.stm
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 22 queries.