Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VENDEE GLOBE YACHT RACE  (Read 3261 times)

Roger in France

VENDEE GLOBE YACHT RACE
« on: January 06, 2009, 05:57:28 pm »

Bad news today, one of the yachts is capsized off Cape Horn and the skipper is trapped inside.

An ocean going tanker is providing some protection from the heavy seas and another competitor has left the race to assist. The latter has made voice contact with the trapped skipper. Rescue efforts are underway by the Chilean Navy.

Keep everything crossed; send out your thoughts; pray; whatever you do on such occasions,please.

Roger in France

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: VENDEE GLOBE YACHT RACE
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 06:14:46 pm »

I heard the report this morning. He was on the phone to his team and said the boat was going over and then the phone went dead. Sounds like the keel broke off. I think a lot of these boats (if not all) have swing keels which have to take tremendous stresses and there have been a number of failures.

Let us hope for a successful outcome.

Colin

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 07:30:39 pm »

Been following the race via the website from the beginning. There seem to have been quite a few bad mishaps this year, what with many boats having to retire through broken equipment, one skipper has already been rescued after breaking a leg, now this capsizing; let's hope and pray that the rescue attempts are successful in the shortest time possible under the circumstances.

Danny

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 08:03:03 pm »

Sorry, people; but this sort of single-handed long range racing stuff goes against every tenet of common sense, good seamanship and legal requirements. Not to mention that the cost of rescues is enormous but treated as a "given right" by those involved. Many are the unreported cases of ships having to be diverted many (sometimes 1000) miles from where they should be. Just because "they" like challenging the roughest seas in the world for some fleeting "glory" should not entail relying on a "free" rescue service to bail them out when the inevitable happens. If the sponsors, builders and "sailors" can afford the total of millions of £ to hold these "events" then they should also be able to afford a reasonable back-up and rescue service. I got fed up to the back teeth either shepherding or rescuing some of these people and very seldom were we thanked. In on infamous case we were actually berated for not saving the bloody yacht as well. Try to see this from my angle and you may well see the folly of some of these "races". BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 08:37:25 pm »

Flippin eck Brian we agree on something. Thats twice isn't it ?

Still hope the yachtsman is OK though.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 08:56:00 pm »

He's just been picked up by Vincent Riou in PRB.

The helicopter and tug are returning and the ship that was standing by is continuing on.
Jean Le Cam looks to be ok

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 09:01:55 pm »

I do agree with Bryan too. I'm not sure what these races really prove, after all it's all been done before now so what is the point really except to indulge some people's thirst for "adventure" at a huge cost even if nothing comes apart. When it does then it ties up scarce resources in effecting rescues which can put others in danger.

Colin

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 12:35:40 am »

It's all a long way from the first SHTAR which was for a half-crown bet, and included a "no rescues" agreement. Still, full marks to Riou, who did the Right Thing and by doing so put himself out of the race. Now all the freighters can get back on course and stop wasting the owners' fuel, and the Chilean Navy can get back to whatever they do.

Roger in France

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 06:28:14 am »

Of course there is an argument that such risks should never be taken. It applies to all hazardous ventures from mountain climbing to deep sea diving. I do not think all rescues are free and unpaid for but I do accept many who go to the rescue will be unpaid and may be unappreciated.

However, where would we be without the adventurous spirit in man? I do think we can learn from such events even if they have been done before. There are trials of new materials; improved navigation aids; improved communications etc.

Not all the boats are paid for by wealthy companies, there is one boat in the race built and paid for by the skipper and his friends.

The cost of all those who put themselves in jeopardy and hazard others by smoking, over eating, over drinking, driving recklessly etc. is far, far greater.

I lean towards supporting the bravery, skill and exhilaration which this race demonstrates.....but coming from the Vendee I would!

Roger in France

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 08:26:02 am »

Thank God he's safe, having said that - I'm with Bryan's school of thought. I think most professional seafarers hold a similar opinion since these mass lone handed races became popular. Many is the discussions I've had on board as to how these people manage to flaunt the legal requirements for navigation on the high seas.

Mike

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 10:44:08 am »

I understand that solo long distance yachtsmen cannot get insurance cover as they are unable to comply with the requirement to keep a good look out at all times.

Roger has a point about couch potatoes of course and rescue costs are indeed recouped in many cases. In fact I believe that the French lifeboat service will charge you for being rescued unlike the RNLI. (Maybe why all the French sailors head off down to the Antarctic  ok2).

I have only been a "weekend sailor" in coastal waters but have experienced enough "what the hell am I doing out here" moments to seriously wonder about the mindsets of those who choose to take on the Southern Ocean. These are not balanced people, they are driven individuals where everything is subordinated to their own personal goals. Many, if not most top sportsmen are the same. Yes they can "achieve" a lot but there is frequently a cost to the people around them.

Colin

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 07:00:29 pm »

I am absolutely amazed! To get DickyD, Colin Bishop and Mike K all agreeing with me has to be worth a few "Brownie Points".
If any of the newcomers to this forum are even slightly interested, may I point you towards a post I put in "Nautical but True" that describes "our" experience on board RFA "Olna" in 1976. It may read as a "funny"....but it cost all of us tax-payers a lot of loot.
But being serious for once, if this type of "race" is allowed to carry on in their present form then there will be unwarranted loss of life. I will salute bravery and valour and perseverance against all the odds....but this sort of thing really is off the wall and needs either curtailing or pretty stringent regulating (e.g. no more "single-handed"). Again, if no-one else stirs my lower sinuses then I have said my bit on this subject. by BY.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 07:22:09 pm »

Bryan,
Are you sitting down, I agree with your stance too, so you can add my name to the list!!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 04:24:27 pm »

Bryan,
Are you sitting down, I agree with your stance too, so you can add my name to the list!!!

Bob
Wow! Enough! You'll be equating me with a certain Mr.Clarkson if I'm not careful.
But isn't this forum interesting. "Stuff" ranges from downright stupidity to high legalese, from cellar humour through to Shakespeare and all points between. And yet there is (usually) a coming together of the disparate members. Remarkable. What did we all do before Martin had his "eureka" moment? Cheers. BY.

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 05:08:19 pm »

Just to set the record straight, International Maritime Law says that a vessel must answer a distress call regardless of the type of V/l But on receiving a call the V/l should report to the closest MRCC and report or relay the distress and the name and position of the distressed V/l  and her own position  The MRCC will then Alert the Nearest rescue agency to the casualty and may will ask nearby v/l's to assist Under IML if your vessel is able to assist you must comply or have a bloody good reason for not going to assist. If you do not go you can be prosecuted in an international court (I doesn't happen very often but it has happend) so the poor seaman has no choice but to comply... his ship and company may loose days weeks or even months (as happended to some of the ships who picked up the boat people in the china sea ) So even if these yacht men (& Women) do pay for there own rescue boats the Poor old Seamen will still have to assist --- AND MOST ARE HAPPY TO HELP BECAUSE IF THE GODS AND THE SEAS ARE UNKIND IT MIGHT BE THEM ONE DAY WHO NEEDS HELP!!!

Jimmy Retired Ships Officer
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 05:55:16 pm »

Jimmy. I think that many of us on this forum Know the "rules" of the sea and so I reckon you are preaching to the already converted. But your reply strayed a little from the main thrust of the discussion. It wasn't the fact that people should be rescued but why they needed to be rescued in the first place. I iterate, let these "racers" organize their own rescue service for starters, and only then, and if, they prove inadequate should "others" be brought in to help. But really, the whole concept of this sort of "race" needs to be re-visited and better regulated. BY.

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 09:03:29 pm »

Whilst I can understand your point of view Bryan, having been RN for 25 years, and called on several times to rescue yachtsmen, I still admire the courage and determination of these sailors.
If we are to ban these types of event, why not also ban mountaineers, pot-holers, fell walkers and the like, all of who rely on unpaid volunteer rescue organisations to get them out of trouble when things go wrong? Then there are swimmers, surfers, skiers, the list goes on and on.

Danny

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 09:13:13 pm »

Agreed Danny

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 06:05:45 pm »

Sorry Old Man But after spending well over 50 years at sea Both in the Navy ,Merchant Navy, Fishing Fleet, Whaling in South Africa and the southern ocean, Sailing Full Rigged ships  and more Yachts than I care to think about ... I think you are wrong    The people who organise these Races often, in fact usually have very strict safety rules But the one thing they can not make safe is the sea... According to insurance company's  Seafaring is the 2nd most dangerous occupation (Next to Mining) in the world ..
It matters not how large or small your ship is or how strong and safe it is ..If the Old Grey Widow Maker wants you you have no chance .. if you don't believe me ask the people who sailed on the Titanic (The safest ship of her day).. Maybe no one except professional drivers should be able to drive the family car .. Its next thing to ban..I don't think so..
Sorry to get on my high horse, but thats the way I see it and so do a lot of seamen
Jimmy (Freebooter)
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.