The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Steam

Boiler water

(1/3) > >>

john54:
Does anybody know whether water from a dehumidifier would be suitable for a model steam plant?   I know people with steam models and it would be a shame to waste the water as I'm getting approximately 5 pints a day from it. I can't really get a straight answer from anyone and it would be a shame just to throw it down the drain!

dreadnought72:
Interesting question.

Technically, the collected water had been "distilled", since it's been through a vapour state before being returned to liquid. But it's not reached the temperature of boiled water, or even tumble-drier water (which isn't at boiling point). So could there still be micro-organisms and other junk in it?

Andy #1963#

Bunkerbarge:
I've been thinking about this and was basically going to say pretty much the same as Andy.  It is technically 'distilled' but being a vapour in the atmoshphere it will almost certainly contain dissolved impurities that it has taken from the air.  This may or may not be a problem depending on the quality of the air that the water is being recovered from.

I would suggest that you set up a pan, prefferably a large frying pan to give you a larger surface, and boil off a reasonable quantity of this water.  If you are left with a residue then that is what you are going to get deposited in the boilers.  If the pan remains clean then you should be OK.  I guess any bacteria remaining will be killed off in the boiler but the problem could be the developement of this bacteria in your feed system such as the feed tank, pumps, valves etc. where you may end up with a slime over time. 

I now use water recovered from a tumble drier which, although not as good as distilled, is a pretty good substitute.

Martin (Admin):

--- Quote ---  I now use water recovered from a tumble drier which, although not as good as distilled, is a pretty good substitute. 
--- End quote ---

Do you have to do anything else to it before use?

oldiron:

--- Quote from: john54 on January 07, 2009, 10:23:50 am ---Does anybody know whether water from a dehumidifier would be suitable for a model steam plant?   I know people with steam models and it would be a shame to waste the water as I'm getting approximately 5 pints a day from it. I can't really get a straight answer from anyone and it would be a shame just to throw it down the drain!

--- End quote ---

Myself and people in my live steam club have used dehumidifier water in our live steam locos for many years with no adverse affects. I agree it may contain some minor amounts of solids, however, a periodic application of TSP (trisodium phosphate) will be enough to keep that in suspension and allow its exit at blow down time.

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version