Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Internet browsers  (Read 7420 times)

Garabaldy

Internet browsers
« on: January 07, 2009, 06:17:28 pm »

whats everyone use?  After watching a documentry about microsoft and netscapes browser wars in the 90s i decided to download firefox (its a descendant of netscape navigator i think)  Now i wish i had done it sooner!  Whats googles bowser like? 

Weeds

Re: Internet browsers
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 06:24:31 pm »

I use Avant browser from cnet.com downloads. It has an "Ad Blocker", but I don't know how secure it is. I just assume it's fine.

JohnneyBoy

• Full Mayhemer
    • John's Library
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 06:25:09 pm »

Stick with Firefox, updates happen very quickly if there is a security issue, unlike IE and others!!

There are also a shed load of addons for Firefox, I really like Scrapbook, it allows you to take a snap shot of a web page... Much better than the IE equivalent.

John

PS: Here is a complete list of my current addons I'm using

Application: Firefox 3.0.5 (2008120122)
Operating System: WINNT (x86-msvc)

- British English Dictionary 1.19
- CacheViewer 0.4.7.1
   Allows searching and sorting cache files
- CLEO 4.0
   Create multi-addon install package (Cleopack)
- ColorZilla 1.9
   Advanced Eyedropper, ColorPicker, Page Zoomer and other colorful goodies
- CookieSafe 3.0.3
   Control cookie permissions.
- Distrust 0.8.1
   (Disabled)
   Hide surfing trails that the browser leaves behind
- Download Statusbar 0.9.6.3
   View and manage downloads from a tidy statusbar
- DownloadHelper 3.5.1
   Download videos and images from many sites
- Exif Viewer 1.45
   Extracts and displays the Exif (Exchangeable Image File), IPTC-NAA/IIM (International Press Telecommunications Council / Newspaper Association of America / Information Interchange Model), and IPTC Core (Adobe XMP, Extensible Metadata Platform) metadata, as stored by digital still cameras, in both local and remote JPEG images.
- Extension List Dumper 1.14.1
   Dumps a list of the installed extensions.
- Favicons Downloader 0.2
   Updates your bookmarks with site favicons.
- FEBE 6.0.3
   FEBE - Backup your Firefox data
- Firefox Showcase 0.9.5
   Easily locate any tab you've opened in Firefox.
- Header Spy 1.3.2.2
   Shows HTTP headers on statusbar
- Html Validator 0.8.5.2
   Adds HTML validation to the View Page Source of the browser. The validation is done by Tidy from W3c.
- IE View 1.4
   Open pages in IE via Firefox menus
- Image Assistant 0.2.5.1
   Launches an image in an external viewer, when user selects the context menu item provided, which is titled "Open Image...", and is located under View Image menu item. This allows for zooming and other rich functionality, not available in the browser.
- infoRSS 1.1.5
   Display RSS and Atom headlines in the Firefox status bar.
- Java Console 6.0.11
- Java Quick Starter 1.0
- JavaScript Debugger 0.9.87.4
   (Disabled)
   JavaScript debugger and profiler
- MR Tech About:About 2.4
   (Disabled, Incompatible)
   Adds about: options to Help Menu and Toolbar buttons.
- Nagios Checker 0.13
   (Disabled)
   The statusbar indicator of the events from the network monitoring system Nagios. Information is parsed from Nagios web interface.
- OPIE 1.2.2
   Import/Export extension preferences
- Password Exporter 1.1
   Export and import your saved passwords.
- Plain Text to Link 1.5.20080618
   Handle highlighted text with a right click!
- Save Session 1.3.1.5
   Save Session can save the session only once.
- ScrapBook 1.3.3.9
   Helps you to save Web pages and organize the collection.
- Screen grab! 0.95
   Saves a web-page as an image.
- Stealther 1.0.6
   Surf the web without leaving a trace in Firefox.
- Stop Autoplay 0.7.6
   Disable the autoplay of the embedded music and movie.
- StyleSheet Chooser Plus 1.2.0
   Keeps CSS stylesheet choice for a website and adds an icon in status bar to select style.
- Tab Catalog 1.4.2008052701
   Shows thumbnail-style catalog of tabs.
- Tab Mix Plus 0.3.6.1.080416
   Tab browsing with an added boost.
- UrlParams 2.2.0
   Displays GET/POST parameters in the sidebar.
- Weave 0.2.7.1
   Weave is the Mozilla Labs prototype for online services.
- Web Developer 1.1.6
   Adds a menu and a toolbar with various web developer tools.
- Yahoo! Mail Notifier 1.0.0.16
   This extension notifies you when new messages arrive in your Yahoo mailbox.

barryfoote

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 07:12:01 pm »

I dumped Internet Explorer and have tried both Firefox and Google Chrome. For me it is no contest. Give Chrome a try....Simple to use and has all the bits you will need. You could also try Firefox and after a short period decide for yourself. The days of Internet Explorer are numbered!!

Barry

Garabaldy

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 07:37:57 pm »

I actually had firefox on my last machine and had always ment to get it again for my new machine (1.5 years old now :embarrassed:)  I remember getting add ons for it which told me my weather forecast and what not.  Its brilliant.  According to wiki firefox is the 2nd most used browser in the world.  Obviously internet explorer is 1st.  Yes i agree - internet explorers days are numbered!

BJ

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 08:21:29 pm »

whats everyone use?  After watching a documentry about microsoft and netscapes browser wars in the 90s i decided to download firefox (its a descendant of netscape navigator i think)  Now i wish i had done it sooner!  Whats googles bowser like? 
I have just changed ISP's from Virgin to BT and during a "conversation" with their helpdesk their advice was to use Mozilla's  FireFox (previously I was using IE) - see the posts on this in this forum.
Even my son says it is less memory hungry and safer than IE which agrees with the BT helpdesk callcentre comments.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 08:59:41 pm »

IE7 works OK and seems to be an integral part of Windows. (I am still on XP)
Firefox works well and has useful add-ons.  A good point is the automatic updates.  A bad point is also the automatic updates that want to tell me all about themselves just when I want to do something else in a hurry.  A bit like Blackadder desperately thumbing the instruction book for the cannon and being told "Congratulations on buying a Vickers product".
Chrome just seems to work quickly and well.  I have heard that eventually it can become a memory hog, but time will tell.
I have all three, Chrome for general use, the others for sites that insist on them, Firefox for preference, IE7 because its too much trouble to get rid of.  Disabling it doesn't mean its gone, it just means it can't be used.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

das boot

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 09:04:46 pm »

Never thought about changing mine, I use IE7 with one of them there 3 remote dongle things, but I'm told that 3 and Microsoft don't get on for some reason? Anybody else use a 3 dongle? Just wondered what the the best one for me to use?

Rich

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 11:32:11 pm »

Firefox works well for me.

Johnneyboy, I think there's a couple of plug-ins you've missed  {-) {-)

Peter.

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 10:23:26 am »

I changed from IE to Firefox about a month ago when, for some reason IE became soo...o sloooo....w (zzz). My  local computer shop nerd said to forget trying to speed it up and switch to Firefox - great move! Yet to try any add-ons though.

Rick

JohnneyBoy

• Full Mayhemer
    • John's Library
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 10:42:25 am »

Hello,

Well this morning I tried out Firefox 3.1 beta 2, wow is it quick or what! Once this goes version goes main stream, it will blow the socks off  <*< IE and the rest.. however, quite a few of the plugins I use do not work yet  {:-{

John

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 10:44:01 am »

Hi all, I currently use Netscape v 7.2.  I know it is old but when I tried to upgrade to version 9 I found that it was not dealing with my emails in the same way.  I keep my emails in my P.C.

As far as I could see I would now have to go to my web site to look at my emails.
Have I got this right?

How does my Address book work if I am on line to a web site and sending emails from there?.

I would be happy to move to Firefox if it gets my emails for me.  How does everyone else work with their emails?

Can I easily move my address book to Firefox?

Most grateful for some answers here.

regards to all, Roy

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 10:57:36 am »

I was using Outlook Express for e-mail until the powers that be decided that it would no longer support hotmail free accounts.  I now use Firefox, which has some add-ons that enable hotmail support. 
I have had the hotmail accounts for years n years now, and they remain constant through several changes of ISP, so they are useful and benefit from easy access.
As part of the installation process it asked if it should import my address book, and did so.  No problems.  It also imported all my contents as part of the installation process.
Again, the add-ons update automatically, which is two-edged as having updated quite often they feel the need to brag about it.

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 11:26:44 am »

Although I changed my browser to Firefox, I still use Outlook Express for emails. I've never had any problems with OE, so if it ain't broke, don't mend it!     

Rick

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 12:55:55 pm »

Hi all, I currently use Netscape v 7.2.  I know it is old but when I tried to upgrade to version 9 I found that it was not dealing with my emails in the same way.  I keep my emails in my P.C.

As far as I could see I would now have to go to my web site to look at my emails.
Have I got this right?

How does my Address book work if I am on line to a web site and sending emails from there?.

I would be happy to move to Firefox if it gets my emails for me.  How does everyone else work with their emails?

Can I easily move my address book to Firefox?

Most grateful for some answers here.

regards to all, Roy

Firefox doesn't have built in e-mail. However, there is another Netscape derived browser - Seamonkey - which I believe does include Mail. I've not had much experience with the browser - just used occasionally when testing a Linux distribution. It has the same code base as Firefox. A google serach will find it.

Barrie

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 01:13:31 pm »

When I said Firefox for e-mail I was having yet another silver moment.  I should have said Thunderbird.  {:-{

BJ

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 02:03:55 pm »

Although I changed my browser to Firefox, I still use Outlook Express for emails. I've never had any problems with OE, so if it ain't broke, don't mend it!     

Rick

With you on this one. I did ask about ThunderBird ( see http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=14617.0) but decided to stay with OE. As I said then my ISP's Yahoo mail seems to be very limited in comparision to OE.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 03:26:37 pm »

With you on this one. I did ask about ThunderBird ( see http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=14617.0) but decided to stay with OE. As I said then my ISP's Yahoo mail seems to be very limited in comparision to OE.

Thunderbird has the same if not greater functionality as OE. Unlike Outlook (not Express) it does not have a built in calendar, but neither does OE :-)

Barrie

JohnneyBoy

• Full Mayhemer
    • John's Library
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 04:01:52 pm »

I believe that there is an addon for Thunderbird that allows Calendar integration.

chingdevil

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 05:50:22 pm »

I downloaded firefox version 3.0.5 to see what it was like, yes it was fast but it did not support the Google search bar, which I use a lot. The bookmarks were a nightmare. all my favourites are in folders, so I know where to look for a particular subject, Firefox decided without asking to scatter my favourites around the bookmark section so where in IE I had a folder named boat with about 50 favourites in it after Firefox got hold of it I has twelve bookmarks in that folder the rest anywhere, bye bye Firefox >:-o >:-o

Brian

OMK

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 06:09:04 pm »

My BT Homehub went blooie the other night. The engineer chappie on the phone spent around an hour, with access to my machine, trying to find the fault. During that time he managed to lose everything in my (IE6) Favourites folder, managed to wipe my History folder, then went about installing Firefox without even asking if I wanted it. Bummer.
In the end I pulled the plug on him and set about fixing the problem myself. So while F'fox was on my drive I had a little dabble. Can't say I noticed any difference in speed/memory resources/blah. I'm used to using IE6 - it suits my purposes - so I removed F'fox.

The only time I noticed any major difference in speed (and I'm talking MAJOR difference) was when I dumped the Vista OS in favour of XP Pro.

catengineman

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 06:29:25 pm »

I must be one of the strange one's.
I read so much about how IE was rubbish at this and that and FF was much better I tried it and like chingdevil my folders were altered to ?? I could not get on with it even though I did try hard so it was back to IE then along came the google jobby and again I read the great reviews so tried that  <:(
After a full restore of my system I reverted back to IE  :} so I for one was staying with IE (memory greedy or whatever)

That was on XP and then I cooked the laptop and have now progressed to a new laptop with Vista and at this time I am still on IE.
I use my hotmail through windows live and can get all my accounts delivered in one neat easy to read window. so from me for now I will stay with IE and keep on with live Outlook and OE are not used as I am happy with the way things are  {-) until I read the reviews on another product  :embarrassed:

I think I should really take head from RickF  O0

R,

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 06:39:21 pm »

Windows Live looks good and works well except that it does insist on applying the nicknames when sending - and there is no provision to change this to real names.  I tend to use that field for other purposes, but some folks might have given some contacts lets say "unfortunate" nicknames, which they might regret the recipient knowing.   Thats the main reason I went the thunderboxbird route.

catengineman

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 07:07:41 pm »

Ooo err nicknames just off to check :D

in the add contact menu I just alter it to read the normal name... unless I want to show the tag :embarrassed:

I still like live and with being able to read even my other web mail e-mails I am happy though my virgin.net account took some working out to get it to download to my live account.

R,

Garabaldy

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 08:52:17 pm »

This may just be me or something to do with my machine but firefox displays images/text graphics noticibly sharper than IE.  On a side by side comparison firefox is sharper.  Since i started using firefox i notice the internet has alot more animations.  I can only guess they didnt work with IE.  I really like how FF will open new pages up in a tab instead of a new window like IE.  Doesnt take long before your desktop toolbar gets overcrowded!  The download manager with FF is neat too.  I  havent experienced any problems with bookmarks but then i dont bother with them.  Maybe i should though.......
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.