Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Australia beaten in cricket  (Read 2701 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Australia beaten in cricket
« on: January 07, 2009, 11:15:10 pm »

I'm sure many British cricket followers will be pleased that Australia was beaten 2 - 1 by South Africa, in the just concluded 3 test series in Australia, our first series loss on home soil in about 15 years. Despite what Neil (nhp651) may think, I am not a sore loser, but am full of admiration for a wonderful, young, South African team. We were comprehensively beaten in the first 2 tests, then won the third in a thrilling finish, with a brave Graham Smith attempting to stave off defeat by batting with a broken finger. He has also suffered from a bad elbow throughout the series, but still played outstandingly well to be named man of the series. South Africa have a marvellous side, full of young talent, tempered with some more experienced players, and will be tough opponents for anyone for many years to come.

Australia is struggling following the retirement of players such as Glenn McGrath, Shane Warne, Justin Langer, and Adam Gilchrist, however, the fact remains we were simply not good enough. We have some good fast bowlers such as Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle and Doug Bollinger but, apart from Johnson, they are still gaining experience at the top level. Gilchrist and Warne, on the other hand, are almost irreplaceable. Gilly (a local hero, he comes from Lismore near here) was arguably the best wicket keeper / batsman ever to play cricket, and Shane Warne, love him or hate him, was probably the best leg spinner ever, Muttiah Muralitharan notwithstanding. I believe we will struggle to retain the Ashes in England this year, and while we remain Number 1, due to winning the 3rd test against South Africa, in reality I think we should only be ranked third, behind South Africa and India. We have a hard battle ahead of us to regain the dominance we have enjoyed over the last 10 or more years.

I'm sure the rest of the cricket world will be rejoicing.

andygh

Re: Australia beaten in cricket
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 02:57:29 am »

Rejoicing, not really, these things go in cycles normally, think of the dominance of the Windies during the early eighties etc.

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 07:39:30 am »

Peter,

Excuse me.......Don't you mean English Cricket followers. What on earth has Britain got to do with the England Cricket team???? <*< <*<

Did I say team?????Well after the debacle of yesterday, we may have 11 players but definitely not a team. As for Australia losing, that only helps the world game catch up a bit and that South African team is a cracker :-)) :-))

bigfella

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 08:17:50 am »

I am just greatfull to see a cricket match that is competitive. Don't get me wrong I love Australia and all its sporting teams but when all they do is win and to be frank rub it in to the rest of the world it gets a bit much. I love cricket but over the last few years have only caught glimpses of it on the TV due to its predictability. Loosing this series will bring back the inflated egos of our cricketers back to where they should be. Even the media here played up the winning of the last test by Australia instead of the fact that we had just lost a series 2-1. It was the same with the Rugby League World Cup (thank god we lost the final) the media would of had you believe that there was only Australia in the contest. Some may say that I have a case of "Tall Poppy" syndrome, however I like my sport and I like it competitive. Like the days of the WSC when it was Australia Vs West Indies 30 runs to win, last man in and 18 balls to face.

Regards David

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 08:45:19 am »

I have to agree. Until the retirement of the named characters, watching Australia play anyone was like watching F1 when Schumacher was driving. I wouldn't worry too much about the Ashes if I were an Aussie; with a loose canon like KP in the dressing room the England team don't stand much of a chance. I just wonder how big a town needs to be to accommodate the egos of Pietersen and  Flintoff?
Come back, Fred Trueman - your country needs you...................
FLJ

barryfoote

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 01:23:57 pm »

I have to agree. Until the retirement of the named characters, watching Australia play anyone was like watching F1 when Schumacher was driving. I wouldn't worry too much about the Ashes if I were an Aussie; with a loose canon like KP in the dressing room the England team don't stand much of a chance. I just wonder how big a town needs to be to accommodate the egos of Pietersen and  Flintoff?
Come back, Fred Trueman - your country needs you...................
FLJ

Spot on there Dave.....I had the pleasure of playing against Fred many years ago just after he had retired and what a great man and he still loved the game..

Barry

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 10:36:37 pm »

Excuse me.......Don't you mean English Cricket followers.

Sorry Barrie, I was being diplomatic  ;)
I sometimes wonder what England has to do with the English cricket team, with imports such as Kevin Pietersen, and others over the years.  :-)

David, you say when all Australia does is win, it's a bit much  :o , I thought the object of the game was to win. As far as inflated egos go, I'm reminded of a line from an old Country and Western song, "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way"  {-) {-) {-)
You're right about the media though, it did seem as if we had won the series, instead of saving ourselves from a whitewash. Media worldwide have a lot to answer, and not only regarding sport.

Dave (FLJ), KP may be a loose cannon but, like him or loathe him, he's still a very good cricketer. Freddie Trueman?? Now there was a CRICKETER.

Peter.

bigfella

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 12:33:04 am »

Peter

Yes I agree that the object of any sport is to win. However with top level sport these days it is meant to be entertainment and the punters are certainly not getting it by making a 5 day test match be over by tea on the 3rd day, and worse still by the second day knowing that the other team was done for. Cricket has to compete for the entertainment dollar with computer games and other forms of entertainment and unless it is edge of the seat stuff no one will part with there hard earned just to watch an exercise in how to beat another team. I think that is why 20/20 is becoming more popular because of its unpredictability.

Dave

I used to be an avid fan of F1 until Schumacher started to win all the time. It was OK for the first couple of seasons because you thought the other teams would catch up to Ferrari. One team would suddenly get the edge on the rest with some new technology and then they would all have their own version and be level again. However with the time difference the races would not be shown until 12 at night and by the time the race was over it was 2am and staying up until then just to watch a Ferrari white wash became boring and I lost interest.

Regards David

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 09:13:39 am »

Dave (FLJ), KP may be a loose cannon but, like him or loathe him, he's still a very good cricketer. Freddie Trueman?? Now there was a CRICKETER.
Peter.

O, no - don't get the idea I think he's a lousy cricketer! He's the most exciting England player I've seen since Botham - and that includes Flintoff. It's just that when you get an ego that big in a team - especially at its head - then you've got all manner of potential inter-personal problems. Botham only ever really clashed irrevocably with "Sir" Geoffrey, and I can't say I blame him. When it comes to being a legend in your own mind, Boycott beats KP hands down.

Fiery Fred could be rude, arrogant, bad-tempered, opinionated and boorish - but he was one hell of a cricketer and fiercely loyal to his captain - whoever it was (even Illingworth!). He was certainly on my list of schoolboy heroes.

FLJ

nhp651

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 11:40:09 am »

I met Boycott at his own testimonial at Fleetwood Cricket Club in 1980( ? ) and the chap was so far up his own b*****e with arrogance that he had a runner to run for him because he told the crowd he didn't want to "spoil" himself for a "Roses" match the next week, and would only take part if he didn't have to run.
Now !, that's self opinionation for you!! {-) {-) {-)
I paid a tenner to get in that day..............money well wasted!!! >>:-( >>:-(

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 06:06:31 am »

Neil, that's an all too common fault with "famous" people, especially, it seems, with prominent sports people. It takes a very special kind of person to accept any accolades they may be given, yet still remain with their feet planted firmly on the ground. It would appear that they eventually begin to believe all that is written about them.

David, I do agree with what you say about test cricket, a close 5 day match is far better than one that is over in 3 days or less. However, I believe the popularity of the 20/20 form has a lot to do with the tendency for instant gratification, brought about, in part, by the very computer games you mention. Having said that, I love 20/20, and while I am too far away from a major centre to see any games in person, I avidly watch them on TV.

I happened to be in Brisbane last night, meeting up with our daughter and her boyfriend who had just returned from the UK, and we drove past the Gabba just prior to the start of the Queensland - South Australia 20/20 match where a large crowd appeared to be funnelling into the ground. BTW, Queensland won - by 7 wickets  O0

Peter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 22 queries.