Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this possible  (Read 7940 times)

Garabaldy

Is this possible
« on: January 08, 2009, 03:11:21 pm »

i have a stern thruster to install but not a channel to operate it from.  What i was thinking about doing is putting 2 microswitches on either side of the rudder servo so when i turn full rudder the servo clicks the switch and turns on the stern thruster motor.  There would be 2 switches - 1 either side of the rudder servo.  But is this actually possible?  i cant quite get my head round how this could complete a circuit?

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Is this possible
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 03:41:09 pm »

Perfectly possible. This method was (is) used to provide simple forward/reverse control for the main drive motor without using an ESC. I'm pretty sure there is a circuit diagram on the Mayhem site.

Barrie

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 03:45:36 pm »

Garabaldy,

Perfectly possible :}

First you might like to consider the wonders of FLJ's gadgets - some of which are intended to do EXACTLY what you describe.  You may well know this already - and indeed he does like a modest amount of cash for these wonders

So if you are going to do this - you can do exactly what you suggest - probably using microswitches
Assuming that the thruster is a normal DC motor what you need to do is to turn it on one way with say, full left rudder and t'other way with full right.  

The weapon of choice is  microswitches, and to reverse a motor you need basically two connected as a reversing crossover - I will find the circuit and post it if it would help.
You do not want the thruster running all the time so the switches need to be arranged to (as you say) function only at the ends of the servo travel.

As a say of simplicating the installation remember that you can drive the switches off a second servo plugged into a Y lead on the rudder servo - you can then do all your switchery on the slave servo, and mount it wherever seems convenient, and don't need to fit anything near the rudder or servo.

I will hatch a switch diagram.  I won't tell FLJ if you don't

andrew

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 03:49:41 pm »

Yes, quite possible, it's how we used to enhance twin screw handling before electronic mixers arrived. In this case, one way to do it would be to buy 4 microswitches and mount them on top of each other in two in pairs, one each side of the rudder arm so that each pair is triggered simultaneously when the rudder is put hard over one way or the other. One of each pair carries the positive lead from the battery to the motor, the other the negative lead. Wire each pair the opposite way around and your thruster will run one way or the other depending on the rudder position. Put a fuse in each line of course.

Colin

Pepé Le Pew

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 03:54:17 pm »

Yes, quite possible, it's how we used to enhance twin screw handling before electronic mixers arrived. In this case, one way to do it would be to buy 4 microswitches and mount them on top of each other in two in pairs, one each side of the rudder arm so that each pair is triggered simultaneously when the rudder is put hard over one way or the other. One of each pair carries the positive lead from the battery to the motor, the other the negative lead. Wire each pair the opposite way around and your thruster will run one way or the other depending on the rudder position. Put a fuse in each line of course.

Colin
Do you mean this?
The  four diodes prolong the life of the two microswitches switches

S&y

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 04:08:14 pm »

Not quite, S&y, mine was cruder, your's is more elegant and better.

Garabaldy, S&y's diagram  would be cheap, simple and effective! Just ensure that the microswitches can handle the motor current - shouldn't be a problem.

Colin

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 04:10:16 pm »

:-))What I said :-))

Neat and brilliant, Pepe - looks indistinguishable from a 2-way light circuit, too

Does this rotate your boat, Garabaldy?
I'm sure you know that screenwash pumps rotate both ways and act as modest bow (or stern) thrusters.  
No need to worry about the 12V rating, run them on 6V or 7.2 or whatever you have in the boat (but NOT the 6S6P lipo pack, please).  If the motor seems miserable it is often possible to replace it with something else more suitable (many car motors are 380 types - or derivatives of the same)
andrew

OMK

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 05:24:31 pm »

"Not quite, S&y, mine was cruder, your's is more elegant and better."

You have to be kidding. Take another butcher's, follow the flow of current. Not one eeny-weeny electron will reach that motor since the wiring connections at one of the micro switches are iffy. Moderated...

Garabaldy

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 05:53:32 pm »

excellent!  Cheers guys!  The Y lead is exactly what im going to do.  That will make things much easier.  I did consider windscreen washer pumps but the boat will be quite big (1800 and with a hefty displacement i havent bothered to work out yet)

I may be getting ahead of myself with this as im still building the hull and im not sure if theres enough room in the stern for the thruster but if there is - i will be installing this lot.

Fair point about the load on the switches.  i will double check the rating the ones i bought have.

(watch this space on thrusters as i think im going to need advice as i am DIY all 3 of them.....)

Peter

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 06:30:18 pm »

Instead of the servo/microswitch setup, why not use a Y lead from the rudder channel, to an esc for the thruster?
The motor polarity can then be set to give the direction of movement required.
I have used this sytem for a bow thruster in friends boat, and it works fine.

Peter

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 06:37:57 pm »

Take another butcher's, follow the flow of current. Not one eeny-weeny electron will reach that motor since the wiring connections at one of the micro switches are iffy.   

Is the diagram wrong?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

OMK

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 06:42:06 pm »

Sure it's wrong. Just as wrong as wrong as you moderating my perfectly reasonable post, go figger.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 06:54:52 pm »

Personally, I see nothing wrong with the circuit.  The microswitches are shown according to the convention that such things are "as in the box they came in", so the current through the motor will be zero until one of the mircoswitches operates at the end of the rudder throw, when the motor will run.  When the other operates at the end of the other throw, the motor runs the other way.
Switches would be better than an ESC because you dont usually want the thruster running with small rudder deflections, and with an ESC you would be stuck with just the deadband as a non-running time for the thruster.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

catengineman

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 07:02:34 pm »

Hi Garabaldy,
I know this may be a tad late in the day to ask but you say you have not got a channel to operate the stern thruster.
Please let us know what channels you DO have
What you are operating with the above

the reason I ask is there are ways to switch between services so that *say channel 1 normal operation = port drive but when switched over will operate say stern thruster*

just a thought like

R,

Garabaldy

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 07:13:49 pm »

hi there i should have explained my channel usage from the start - sorry!

i have futaba 2.4gig 6 channel radio

the 4 proportional channels are taken up by rudders, throttle (coupled with a mixer) bow thruster, winch

the 2 on/off channels are for the fire monitors and possibly lights or a horn or some other on/off type function

G

OMK

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 07:15:26 pm »

Look again. Check his normally-open/normally-closed connections.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 07:17:30 pm »

Looks OK to me, ignoring the diodes.

catengineman

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 07:44:14 pm »

the 4 proportional channels are taken up by rudders, throttle (coupled with a mixer) bow thruster, winch

the 2 on/off channels are for the fire monitors and possibly lights or a horn or some other on/off type function

G

Thanks now this may sound a tad on the complicated side but it can be done,
The "fire monitor" switch /  controlled via a switch on the trany, then you can have a change over in the vessel which will swap out the current to other items
now if you use a six terminal double poll switch you can have say *fire monitors * in one switch position *stern thrust * in the other.
If you build a servo operated switch that has two six terminal double poll switches operated then you can have fire monitor and stern thrust or lights and ??? .
I an not that great with the tec side and have done just what I suggested in a boat so I know it works, sorry I have not got a picture and I could sit and draw a sort of diagram though the symbols would not be right and people of greater knowledge would know Im as thick as a plank of pine when it comes to this building stuff.

R

OMK

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 08:20:26 pm »

You don't have to ignore the diodes. Just follow the pos/neg current direction - concentrate around the n.o/n.c  connections.

Garabaldy

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 08:44:40 pm »

G

Thanks now this may sound a tad on the complicated side but it can be done,
The "fire monitor" switch /  controlled via a switch on the trany, then you can have a change over in the vessel which will swap out the current to other items
now if you use a six terminal double poll switch you can have say *fire monitors * in one switch position *stern thrust * in the other.
If you build a servo operated switch that has two six terminal double poll switches operated then you can have fire monitor and stern thrust or lights and ??? .
I an not that great with the tec side and have done just what I suggested in a boat so I know it works, sorry I have not got a picture and I could sit and draw a sort of diagram though the symbols would not be right and people of greater knowledge would know Im as thick as a plank of pine when it comes to this building stuff.

R

sounds interesting.  although i do not follow :embarrassed:  the problem i thought arrised here was because the on/off switch on the tranny can only set the servo to 2 positions.  with this servo operated switch surely that would mean if you harnessed it with 2 functions, there would always have to  be one function on.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 08:45:39 pm »

Well, the two triggering options look like this to me:

OMK

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 09:08:40 pm »

That's it. Electrically, that is exactly how it should be. The only snag is that you should have written n.c where it say n.o on just one of your microswitches.
Compare your sketch to the one above.

NOW do you see why his wouldn't work?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 09:13:30 pm »

No, only one switch is triggered at a time so the other reverts to  the NC position. When the rudder is centralised both switches are NC so no current flows. Still can't see it PMK.

OMK

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 09:29:59 pm »

Put it this way...
Refering to your (lower) sketch, look at the switch on the left-hand side of the motor. You have it that the motor is connected to the negative rail, via the normally-closed contact, right? All good so far.
Now look at the switch on the r/h side. It completes the circuit because the switch is closed, making contact to the positive rail, right again? But you made the mistake of writing n.o there.
In other words, the circuit would not be complete if the switch were open.

His circuit shows both poles of the motor connected to ground, hence why I said earlier that not one teeny electron would reach the motor.

craftysod

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 09:32:05 pm »

I think what pmk is saying top diagram shows both triggers  show nc wheras yours shows the correct way
You beat me to it, trying to be clever again
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 22 queries.