Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DIY Thrusters  (Read 3310 times)

Garabaldy

DIY Thrusters
« on: January 09, 2009, 01:35:04 pm »

further to my questions about bow and stern thruster electronics here is what im working up on the mechanical side of things.  Hey maybe im overcomplicating things here!  But thats why im bashing my ideas about on here.  I checked on RS components and i can buy all my pulleys, gears ect for about £30 for all 3 thrusters which is far cheaper than using ready made thrusters (are there any this big?)  Its in its early days yet.

What do you think?

Garabaldy

Re: DIY Thrusters
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 01:39:15 pm »

woops forgot this

hopeitfloats

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 07:33:26 am »

they sure are a reasonable size. how big is the boat.  so are the gears in the water flow.  if so could them spinning stir up air and cause cavitation

Garabaldy

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 08:20:32 am »

Its a big boat.  1800mm long X 400mm wide with a displacement of about 42KG.  This idea is totally in its infancy and im not sure if im going to do this or not.  The gears are in the water flow but i think i would probably try and cover them up.

subs1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 08:32:48 am »

There would be no problem having the gears in the water if they are brass or cast iron , and you can have two props on the shaft. One left handed and one right handed .when I fire up the desktop computer I will add a picture that I found .My ship is 3m (10ft )long and I am using two 500GPH bige pumps as thrusters.
Malcolm NZ

subs1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 04:15:58 am »

Here is the picture I mentioned

Garabaldy

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 08:29:10 am »

Is the picture one of your thrusters which you use inyour 3m boat or is it just an example?  I never actually thought on using a bilge pump as a thruster.  I suppose you would need 2 bilge pumps to act as a thruster - 1 to push the boat each way?

subs1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 09:35:10 am »

No I didn't use that type of thruster,I used two 500GPH. One for each direction as they are centrifugal pumps.I drilled two holes through the hull bottom for the intakes and the outlets from the pumps feed through clear plastic pipes to PVC pipes and elbows that exit the hull near the bow.The pumps are not too bad for turning the boat unless the wind is fairly strong.if you would like I can post some pics foryou
Malcolm  NZ

Garabaldy

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 09:52:53 am »

2 big pumps like that mite be alot easier than messing around with gears.

Its defiantly food for thought.

Sure pictures are always helpful although from your description i have a pretty good idea what you mean.

Thanks,

G

Garabaldy

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 03:23:10 pm »

Those propellors on in that picture, does anyone know where i can get propellors like that?

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 03:39:30 pm »

Prop Shop.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.