Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internet browsers  (Read 7417 times)

omra85

Re: Internet browsers
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2009, 09:40:25 pm »

When I did a redesign of the OMRA webpage I used MS Frontpage. It worked fine with IE but I got complaints that the others (Netscape, Opera, Firefox) would only display the links and hotspots as jpeg graphics - they didn't DO anything!
I then remade the site using Serif Webplus and everyone can now make everything work.
Maybe there's a similar thing working the other way round Garabaldy??
Danny
PS once you've tried tab browsing - you never go back  :-))

JohnneyBoy

• Full Mayhemer
    • John's Library
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2009, 09:43:09 pm »

I downloaded firefox version 3.0.5 to see what it was like, yes it was fast but it did not support the Google search bar, which I use a lot. The bookmarks were a nightmare. all my favourites are in folders, so I know where to look for a particular subject, Firefox decided without asking to scatter my favourites around the bookmark section so where in IE I had a folder named boat with about 50 favourites in it after Firefox got hold of it I has twelve bookmarks in that folder the rest anywhere, bye bye Firefox >:-o >:-o

Brian

Google bar works fine, I have and know of 10+ infact more machines with it working fine (freinds), suggest you have another issue with your machine... Also I'd rather spend some time sorting my favorites, I think I have around 500, than have an insecure browser (IE). Spend some time, not just five muintes, and it will pay off. I know of some very large organizations 10,000+ machines that will not allow the use of IE due to it's ability to wreck the OS! as it's more like a colander, as MS are so slow to sort out their bugs... some have been in the wings since the release of XP.. oh and before... I have worked in the security dept of some very interesting orgs... thus... etc etc...

I'm not just a part time computer bod! Please Please take heed.

John

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2009, 10:40:27 pm »

The Google bar works for me too, using Firefox.

Peter.

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2009, 02:31:33 pm »

A recent report by ofcom has stated that most internet users in this country are not getting half and some not even a quarter of the speeds advertised by internet service providers!!
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!

BJ

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2009, 03:09:41 pm »

I downloaded firefox version 3.0.5 to see what it was like, yes it was fast but it did not support the Google search bar, which I use a lot. The bookmarks were a nightmare. all my favourites are in folders, so I know where to look for a particular subject, Firefox decided without asking to scatter my favourites around the bookmark section so where in IE I had a folder named boat with about 50 favourites in it after Firefox got hold of it I has twelve bookmarks in that folder the rest anywhere, bye bye Firefox >:-o >:-o

Brian

Sorry Brian but it DOES support Google - I use it and my FireFox does open to Google.
I have not yet resorted my favourites into folders, that is a job for a "rainy" day. You will have gathered that I am NOT a YaHoo fan which was the search engine at the point of installation of FireFox.
At the top of my screen there are 8 alternative search engines listed and headed by Google, it also includes "Chambers UK" (whoever they are!).
In reply to Bartpuss, he is right on speeds. My former Virgin modem always declared a speed of about 5.2 (line max is 6 per BT).
Using http://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband-speed-test.jsp and http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/ both today say I am running at 4.7, BT's checker says I am at 4.6K. The service claims 8 is the max. My norm is usually about 3kbps.

Garabaldy

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2009, 03:11:23 pm »

how do you actually find out what speed you are connected to the internet with?  With the BT homehub it just tells you what speed your are connected  to the homehub which is usually around 58mb/s

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2009, 03:57:37 pm »

Try this site http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/

It calculates the actual speed of downloads and uploads. Need to run it a few times to get an average. It's also interesting to run it at various times of the day. Mine (download) varies from about 6Mbits/sec to less than 300kbits/sec when the kids in the village come home from school.

Barrie

Ther are other checkers about - just Google Broadband speed checker.

chingdevil

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2009, 05:48:05 pm »

Well BJ

I downloaded Firefox on Monday, and it told me it did not support Google search bar so it disable it. There was no mention that they might have a plug in to get round this. As for the favorites/bookmark section, I tried Firefox some time back and it had no problems keeping them in the correct section, this time would not work thats progress for you. If the software can not do a simple thing like copy folders, makes me wonder what else it can not do, so Firefox was deleted by Tuesday. With all its faults, IE still works for me.

Brian

BJ

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2009, 06:15:21 pm »

how do you actually find out what speed you are connected to the internet with?  With the BT homehub it just tells you what speed your are connected  to the homehub which is usually around 58mb/s

You can find BT's checker at http://speedtester.bt.com/. All you do is enter your phone number.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 22 queries.