Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Monsoon 900 build  (Read 70020 times)

martin-R

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Monsoon 900 build
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2009, 04:43:41 am »

George, although the factors you've listed do have some bearing on stability and are the most readily available, probably the biggest factor is only available from the lines of the hull, i.e. the waterline section at the various angles of heel. However, it is a subject for a separate thread and should probably not be included in one in a build log of a model.

olhasoueu

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2009, 06:11:02 pm »

hello i also both one of this, but i have a small problem , how can i put, or what is the correct way to put the cord in the sail winch servo,sorry for my English i`m Portuguese

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2009, 01:29:55 pm »

I think that you have unwound it. Is this correct?

It should work that when you pull the stick on the remote controller back wards, the line is pulled in. That is the direction.

Be careful that when the line is pulled all the way in there is still a little loose line. If it pulls tight it may damage the boat.

Sorry I did not reply sooner, I have been on a trip.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

olhasoueu

« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2009, 06:10:58 pm »

I think that you have unwound it. Is this correct?

It should work that when you pull the stick on the remote controller back wards, the line is pulled in. That is the direction.

Be careful that when the line is pulled all the way in there is still a little loose line. If it pulls tight it may damage the boat.

Sorry I did not reply sooner, I have been on a trip.

hello again please see the photo, black or red, what is the correct, and  the stick on the remote must be how, this is my big problem since this is my first RC yacht, and this part i donīt

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2009, 12:23:31 am »

Hi

I am still not sure what you mean. The red line and black lines do not help me understand.

If you do not have the lines unwound, but when you pull the stick back it lets line out, then look for a channed reverse button. This will make the servo go the other way.

If you have unwound the lines completely.
The lines should be wound around the outside of the drum, but inside the white cover. More like your black line.
If you have the radio on, and the stick pulled back the line should wind in.
With the line wound in there should be enough left to tie the line to the booms.
The trim control on the radio should also be pulled back when you do this.

I hope this helps.

olhasoueu

« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2009, 11:43:37 am »

If you have unwound the lines completely.
The lines should be wound around the outside of the drum, but inside the white cover. More like your black line.
If you have the radio on, and the stick pulled back the line should wind in.
With the line wound in there should be enough left to tie the line to the booms.
The trim control on the radio should also be pulled back when you do this.

I hope this helps.

hello yes i have the lines unwound completely, i now that when i pull back the stick, the  line should wind in and then i should tie the line to the booms ,---------the booms should be how ???

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2009, 05:52:01 am »

...the booms should be how ???

Hope this helps

olhasoueu

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2009, 09:24:15 am »

tank you very much , you are the best  O0

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2009, 05:33:23 am »

I have been sailing my monsoon consistently now some months and can give you some feedback.
The long term road test if you like to call it.

Sailability/performance
She is very responsive, perhaps over responsive, to any joystick movement or wind changes. In other words twitchy.
You cannot take your eye off her for a second.
OK in the hands of an experienced sailor but will not be 'fun' for a beginner.

She is for light airs only. With a light breeze she does sail fairly well and looks good on the water. But this window of wind speed is very small. She has little heeling stability, so as the breeze picks up she will start to heel and get even more twitchy.

If you sail on waters that have consistent wind speeds she will be OK. Where I sail the wind can change in less than a minute or two. This is a problem.

Reliability
There have been too many annoying, sometimes heart stopping, problem that has almost left the boat stranded. I have nearly lost it on a number of occasions.
Lines got caught in deck furniture. This made the boat un-steerable, even wearing the boat (turning in the opposite direction to tacking) the lines did not always run free, and so evenmore deck furniture was removed.

The jib boom jamming itself on the deck, my fault for over extending the sheets, when the jib reversed itself. But is basically a design fault with the rigging. The result was that the boat was stranded and would not steer as the jib was now acting like a weather vain. She drifted off and luckily the collision with a bridge unjammed the jib boom.

Healing to far and taking on water. Last time out my Monsoon took on a some water and now I don't have a functioning RX. The wind picked up while I was out. The boat was just going around and around in the water and drifting down the canal, not getting closer to either bank. In the end I had to go over to the boat club. Lluckily somebody was there that afternoon, and somebody rescued her for me.

What I like about this boat
For me it was cheap, I paid much less than 200 dollars.
It looks good on the water when it sails in light airs.
The hull is fibreglass.

What I don't like
You need to make too many changes just to make the boat seaworthy (see build log above).
You may have to change most of the RC gear like I did.
The window of sailable airs is too small.
Too many problems on the water.

Overall impression
I think it is safe to say I have given the monsoon a fair go, and I don't think I am criticizing out of hand.

Not really a pleasant feeling from this boat on most occasions. I have had too many problems, even on the water, for me to enjoy ownership. Unlike my other boats (Thunder Tiger Victoria and Victor Models Mary J Ward) which have been fun and much more reliable (every boat breaks BTW).

It really is light airs only, and even then not problem free.
Having said that, I now have a better idea on how not to design a boat and So when I work from plans in the future I will know which side of things to ere on.

So what will I do with the boat?
I may put in a new RX and keep it as a third boat in case I have guests who want to sail. At least until I build another boat.
After that I may be giving it away, or cannibalising anything I can (not much).
As I do not race there is little point in completely re-rigging the hull, and I have not idea if the hull would comply with the rules.
I am not sure if adding more weight to the keel would fix the heeling problems as at some point she will be too low in the water.

Would I recommend the boat?
What do you think? %)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2009, 02:57:56 pm »

Final Chapter

Today I did a couple of small repairs.

Then I gave her away.

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2009, 12:56:23 am »

Awe, looks like you threw out the baby with the bath water too soon.   :((

Ian in Shanghai has modified his extensively with continuous loop sheeting, PJ fittings, carbon fiber mast & jib boom (a cheap telescoping fishing rod from Decathlon) & proper mylar panel sails (home made).  He routinely beats our IOMs on the course in the light wind we typically see here but still gets blown over once the breeze picks up over 10mph.  A heavier bulb is certainly needed but I'm not sure if anyone plans to be casting lead bulls in their kitchen to do this last improvement.  Mine is undergoing the same mods & will be kept as a club boat for those who don't own their own equipment.

All-in-all, Shunbo makes a decent hull for what we paid.  Modified, as Ian has shown, they will sail rings around a stock TT ENTZ & can compete with IOMs under the right conditions.

Chuck
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2009, 03:07:44 am »

I agree a good hull for what WE paid. But we did buy in bulk ex-factory. This is not open to other chaps.

To be honest, I just grew tired.  :(( :-X

Tornadon

« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2009, 07:17:03 pm »

:-))  i have ordered the new Monsoon 900  hope the finish of the boat kit will be better  than in the older version of monsoon that in those pictures
Good job :-)

Hornet05

« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2010, 11:55:44 pm »

would any one have a wiring diagram for the electronics, my boat ( monsoon 1 ) filled up with water, got swamped and it all rusted.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2010, 02:40:26 am »

You will most probably need all new.

At the very least you will need a receiver. I don't know where you can source one to replace the original. You may need to buy a new transmitter/receiver set.
The transmitter and receiver need to be the same type and brand really.

You possibly will need two new servos as well.
With the sail servo, check the dimensions on the casing, and buy one with the same dimensions. The rudder servo is a standard servo.
Any brand will work, but you may need to modify the plugs to fit the receiver. With Futaba this is just a matter of filing of a plastic lug.

See figure for suggest wiring. It is really just plug and play.

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Monsoon 900 build - replace parts
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2010, 06:10:41 am »

If you do end up having to replace your servos, I wanted to let you know that I was able to order replacement servos for my Monsoon from Hobbyking.com. They were very inexpensive. ** Do not discard the white cap that covers the servo hub, as they do not supply one with the the new sail servo. It took patients, tenacity, and more time than it should to get your goods. Their staff are pretty much order processors and have little if any product knowledge. I had to send them photos showing exactly the items I wanted. Since they were spares and not critical, the time it took to get them was not really a factor, just aggravating.

These are the prices for the items I ordered: 1 X ballast pod @  $10USD, 1 X rudder servo @ $2.20USD and 1 X sail servo @ $20USD. I am sure you can do the conversations.
I ordered two sail servos and one rudder and a ballast pod and the shipping charge was $14.00 USD to Southern Ca. from Hong Kong. They are charging me $7.59 USD for the cap and shipping to me.

Just and FYI - I ordered an extra ballast pod so I could make it heavier than the original pod  to improve the boats stability in heavier winds. When I got mine boat, like most of us, I read their suggested weight to add to the pod but it struck me that it would not be enough, so I added a bit more to it. The boat sailed very well with the little extra lead shot I put in. The 2nd pod even heavier. Works like magic!

The wiring for sailboats is very basic and logical, and even I understand it. So any normal person should have no problems.

Hang in there.

Windchaser
Windchaser

Prophet

« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2010, 03:50:47 pm »

I have just read this with fascination i have recently in the past 14 days got hold of the brother the surmount 800 and had piratically every issues the same. i have made numerous modifications to getting it just right and pleased to say once i had done them she sailed like a dream! if only i had seen your post a few weeks earlier i would have spent less time in getting it right!!

just a question did you swap the lines from the kit to braided? and did you alter the lines entrances into the hull for the jib and boom?

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2010, 11:44:36 am »

Hi Prophet.

Sorry for not relying sooner. I have been away, still am.

In answer to your question. I did not need to change the sheeting cord, or where it enters the hull.

Prophet

« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2010, 01:15:41 pm »

thanks for your reply although late, on the cord inlets for the boom and job i have altered mine if case your intrested, i have widened the holes on the plastic parts and slipped in a 2mm hollow tube thats bent on one edge to allow a smooth curve on the line and not let it rub on the hard plastic edge, this will reduce wear a lot, on the top of the exit i have rounded the tube to a smooth extruded bulge this will also help wear the line on the surface, i have found that it also helps the sails move more freely in conjunction with the movement of the winch.

if thats any help to you feel free to use the idea  :-))

bobjeffreson

« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2010, 04:40:52 pm »

Superb tread.
 Purchased a Monsoon 900 last week here in Sydney Australia. Online retailer had an option to "make an offer". I offered AU$176 and they accepted. It came complete RTR. Nothing at all to be added other than batteries. I will be using all the tips and improvements in this thread to build my boat. As it's a Christmas present from my family it will not hit the water till December 25th.........theoretically... ok2

Edit colour change.
Blue is reserved for the moderating team.
Hope you like brown.

bobjeffreson

« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2010, 07:44:31 pm »

Hey Guys,
I've been using all the tips in this thread to rig my Monsoon 900. Can anyone give me some clues on why the mast on my Monsoon seems to be raked back. Just cannot seem to get it to sit straight up and that's with no tension on the back stay at all. Doesn't even appear to be close to straight.  What am I doing wrong.
Also the sheet through the front of the jib seems to be way too short. All I can do with it is go straight to the cleat on the mast, which to me seems wrong. Should it not go through the loop on the mast , then back down to the cleat. Do I need to rethread it with a longer sheet  and if so what's the easiest way to get it through.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2010, 11:39:38 am »

Hi there.

With the first problem, has the base of the mast been cut off square?

Ref the second problem.
Hard to tell what you mean.

Any chance of a photo?

bobjeffreson

« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2010, 11:06:19 pm »

Hey Tiger,
 Mate thanks for replying. My mast comes with a fitting already installed, to fit the recess in the deck. I'm assuming this would to on straight...looks OK. Still the mast looks too raked for my untrained eye. I'll check it with a spirit level and maybe take some photos to post here for your assessment!
 This is the section in your build to which  I was referring..........
" The head of the sail comes fully rigged with a loop and an adjustment bowsie. I ran these through the ring at the front of the mast and then to the cleat. This may be wrong. I think I should have run it from this ring up to the hole in the mast head before returning to the cleat." Mine was just way too short to go anywhere!!!!!
 I did manage to cut the old line out of the jib and re-thread a new, longer heavier line. All is good now.
Thanks for your superb build thread. I used every tip you suggested. This is my 1st effort in RC Yachts, after racing RC cars for 30 years.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2011, 02:00:01 am »

Hi Bob

I am not sure what part of my build you refer to. But if you look for the 'reply #' at the head of the post, and use that for reference, it will help a lot.

Have you looked to see if I have a photo. Then you can compare the apparent lengths of the sheets, as well as the routing.
If it is running rigging, it is also possible that unwinding one turn of sheet from the winch drum may fix your problem.

Hope this helps.
Happy New Year BTW.

Old Tube

« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2011, 05:46:46 pm »

Thanks for all the useful information about the Monsoon 900 build, just wish I had seen it before I purchased one in the UK end of last year from Howes Models.  Started the build but had to stop as too cold in the garage which I use over the past couple of months. Hopefully will finish in a couple of months once I have in-corporated the modifications shown.  then be interested to see how she sails.

Old tube.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.