Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monsoon 900 build  (Read 70018 times)

Sir_Gorg

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Monsoon 900 build
« Reply #125 on: December 28, 2013, 12:57:19 pm »

Voila! My new set of sails nearly ready, fixed temporary to make a photo. Sails are now hanging totally loose, not fixed to the mast and booms at all. As mast is not bent, camber of mainsail looks much too big now. I also need to fix some issues due to a improper measuring of the triangles  :} I need to extend forward front sail boom of about 3cm and move top fixing point for front sail a little higher (maybe 2-3cm). Possibly I will also have to decrease front leech curvature of main sail, as camber seems too big even with mast properly bent back... When done, I have only some decorations to be made and I can wait for the spring  :-)) Total sail area increased of about 250 square cm, so it was good idea to put 2kg of lead to the keel bulb.

Sir_Gorg

• Shipmate
« Reply #126 on: January 07, 2014, 06:36:47 pm »

Wanted to edit previous post... Too late. So I would like to add a newest photo of a ready sails set. I have made new booms moving back also the fixing point of the mainsail servo thread - to the position just over the "horse" on the deck. For now I had to cancel decorations make - special (very thin - just 25 microns) adhesive ploter foil with cutting of the pattern will cost nearly 60$ - so making it is just a... whim  :} Anyway - somewhen I will have to do it, because such sails on the water will be... not visible - I am afraid about observation of the sails position... If that cheap chinese boat will not start to fly with those sails, I will cut myself with a plastic single use knife  {-) Only thing I have to do is to move the keel weight back as boat is now quite oversailed and can dig the bow on stronger winds. I will make CNC machined stainless wings, which will be attached to the aft of a bulb. Extra weight of 300g hopefully will help.

kurakensama

• Shipmate
« Reply #127 on: April 23, 2014, 03:08:21 pm »

I would like to change the internal rigging for fishing line. How do I access the thru-deck fairleads to pass the wire through? There is any guide tube or I must pull off all the servos mounting?

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: April 24, 2014, 12:06:27 am »

@kurakensama:

Assuming your Monsoon is standard, you would need to replace the sheets (winch lines) with something that is a similar diameter. If you use finer line, it will not stay in the sheaves of the winch drum, leading to horrible tangles. Also be very careful removing the white cover from the sail winch, it is quite fragile and breaks easily.

There is no guide tube to the jib fairlead.

Regarding getting the line through the jib fairlead - if you still have the existing line through the fairlead you may be able to use the existing one to pull the new one through. An alternative is to use some fine thread as a draw line. If you already have the line removed from the fairlead, push a loop of fine line or thread down the fairlead and fish it out with a wire with a hook on the end. Use this to pull the new line through.

Use a similar method for the main fairlead, that is much easier to access as it is closer to the hatch.

The servo tray can be removed if you need to get more room to work. Disconnect the rudder link before you start and move it back out of the way. Next, tilt the port (left) side of the servo tray up first, this will get you started. The tray is held in a sort of forked arrangement on the two mounts. Some of the trays are very tight. If the mounting foot breaks away from the hull, it can be easily reattached with epoxy. Many of these were broken away during shipping.

I suggest you do not throw away the original sheeting lines until you have something else that clearly works better.

A number of Monsoon owners have replace the standard winch arrangement with a continuous loop setup that has the sheeting all above deck. Here is an example of a continuous loop setup on my Surmount, very similar boat but a little smaller. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWhI3F_MY74&feature=player_detailpage

Hope this helps....

Amateur at work...

kurakensama

• Shipmate
« Reply #129 on: April 24, 2014, 02:33:25 pm »

Thank you! I'm new to RC yachts, I'm sailed my Moonsoon just 4 times and we are just recently undestanding how everything works. I really like the alternative rigging, but is not a project for this year. Yesterday I just trimmed better the sails, adapted the angles of the sails, added a jib boom topping lift rope, a slider arrangement on the jib boom for changing the jib shape and a sliding arrangement and hold for a little weight on the aft of the jib boom. I bought some turnbuckles on ebay for connecting the stays easier, I hope this works fine. The guys on the pond I sail had been very informative and helpful.

farquward

• Shipmate
« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2016, 11:30:30 pm »

Some interesting and informative reading, having just read cover to cover as it were.  At first, I was thinking, perhaps we'd made a mistake with this choice, (wife and I just ordered 2) but as I read on it seems that all of the tricks I had planned have been validated.  I also have another trick or two left and as ours take shape, I'll share.  We expect delivery in a few days.

Sir_Gorg, do you still make, or have a pair of the masthead cranes?  That is some very nice work indeed, we would gladly purchase a pair from you.

Very good write up by the OP and great conversation all along.

As someone said, weight aloft is bad, or words to that effect, and I also agree, I've been looking for a suitable replacement for the mast and have considered carbon fiber golf shafts and fishing pole blanks.  We'll also be using carbon/foam sandwich batten stock for the booms, lighter and easier to rig the sail controls.

My wife is very competitive and a very good model yacht sailor so our boats will be built as if we are fleet racing.  I'm sure we'll show up to a nearby venue that has invited us to sail in the novice class.
I'd rather be sailing!

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: April 04, 2016, 03:39:08 am »

Hi Farquward

This thread was about the original Monsoon, and it may have changed a bit by now.

It would be really useful if you could add to this thread, or start your own, with your modifications. I am sure that it would be well received. :-))

TT
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Sir_Gorg

• Shipmate
« Reply #132 on: April 04, 2016, 03:18:09 pm »

Sir_Gorg, do you still make, or have a pair of the masthead cranes?  That is some very nice work indeed, we would gladly purchase a pair from you.

Hi  :-)  I still have 2 pcs. of the cranes, but only made off Hardox (20g weight each) and without the small holes for fixing the ropes. You will have to drill them on your own. But as Hardox is a really hard material, really good drill for metal has to be used. They look like on the pix. To balance them you will have to fill the keel bulb with lead pellets in full (nearly 1,8kg of lead per bulb). The smaller pellets, the better fill will be achieved.

I do not sell - I can just send them to you for free. Too small item and too small demand to make any earnings  ok2  Send me your postal address on private message.

farquward

• Shipmate
« Reply #133 on: April 04, 2016, 06:47:09 pm »

Awesome!  :-))  PM sent.  Have you done any more with your sails?
I'd rather be sailing!

farquward

• Shipmate
« Reply #134 on: April 05, 2016, 05:19:45 pm »

Hi Farquward

This thread was about the original Monsoon, and it may have changed a bit by now.

It would be really useful if you could add to this thread, or start your own, with your modifications. I am sure that it would be well received. :-))

TT

Hi TT,
I'd be glad to add to this wonderful tread and share what ideas I have to (hopefully) improve the performance of this hull.  It will be interesting indeed to note the factories efforts to address known issues and compare early hulls to what is available today.  Our tracking number indicates we should receive our kits today.   :}  Needless to say, we're both excited and eager to get back on the water!
I'd rather be sailing!

farquward

• Shipmate
« Reply #135 on: April 05, 2016, 09:52:05 pm »

Our kits arrived today!  The shipping container was a mess, but both boats were quite safe.  However, the same can't be said about the 2 receiver batteries that should have been sent with this order, they're both AWOL.  I've filed a claim with the vendor, hopefully replacements will be forthcoming.  Notice the different graphics on the packages.
I'd rather be sailing!

farquward

• Shipmate
« Reply #136 on: April 06, 2016, 11:41:30 pm »

Claim filed, a somewhat "run in circles" affair, but satisfaction rewards those with patience.  We've decided to rig one of the boats as it came, well mostly, to establish a baseline of performance.  All standing rigging will be replaced with stainless wire, used for control line aircraft.  It's light and strong, much better suited to the task at hand.  For now the standard running rigging (sheets) will be OEM.  I'll also use some bowsies I have on hand.  My hull will be a two tone affair, blue metallic and white, while the wife's boat will retain the fancy factory colors.  She has reserved the right to change her mind.  (She is, after all, a woman) Meanwhile, I'm trying to source a pair of carbon fiber rods for the masts and some carbon/foam/carbon batten stock to use for jib and main booms.  I'm also looking for ring bowsies, to use on the booms for sail shape and sheeting adjustments.  I'm going to eliminate one of the spreaders and stays, and relocate the remaining spreader.  Speaking of which, the newer boats now have an insert on the outer end (of the spreaders) to prevent chaffing the stays.
I'd rather be sailing!

Zbip57

• Shipmate
« Reply #137 on: October 01, 2019, 07:13:39 pm »

Hi all you Monsoon fans.

Before beginning my schooner build, I bought myself a Shunbo Monsoon just to see if I even enjoyed R/C sailing.  I did, for sure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed_7XEsBHPs

Zbip57

• Shipmate
« Reply #138 on: October 01, 2019, 07:25:12 pm »

The first (unintentional) modification made to my Monsoon happened during its maiden voyage.

The mainsail sheet must have snagged on the helm wheels because, when I brought the boat back to land, there they were.  Gone!

The helm wheels had disappeared overboard sometime during the first voyage.

On later sailings I noticed the sheet also snags on the other deck fittings, those little bollards that are meant to look like deck winches.  The sheet winch servo has enough torque that, when the sheet snagged like that, it broke the glue joint on the fairlead which feeds the sheet through the deck.  That opening then allowed to water to get through the deck.

I have since cut off any of the deck fittings that might snag the sheets.  The Monsoon now has smooth decks.  No more worries.   :-))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W__2EsEbVjs

Zbip57

• Shipmate
« Reply #139 on: October 01, 2019, 07:41:40 pm »

This is how I sealed the hatch on mine.

Got rid of the open-cell foam that was under there originally and replaced it with some closed-cell foam.

Then epoxied a brass bolt at each corner.

The hatch then screws down tight using some knurled nuts.  I also added a waterproof toggle switch, so the radio can be turned on/off without needing to open the hatch every time.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.