Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paint source?  (Read 13594 times)

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
Re: Paint source?
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2006, 10:52:58 pm »

Hi Colin H..

What brand of promoter are you using.  It it the 3M version?

I just obtained some from my brother who works for a big car dealer franchise.  They use it on plastic panels as it helps the paint to adhere better - apparently  ;D

Declan

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2006, 10:55:05 pm »

Me finks it was Stavros who was kind enough to enlighten us to the wonders of paint and promoters on the MB forum.

Declan

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2006, 10:56:32 pm »

This is all a bit worrying! I must admit I have stayed clear of Plasticote to date because of the phrase "Plasti" which suggests possible incompatibility. However, as was stated in the old MB thread, many problems are caused by leaving insufficient time for the underlying coating to cure which can be surprisingly long in some cases. Has anyone got any wisom on the possible use of a heat source e.g. hairdryer to speed up curing times?

I tend to leave any spray undercoated models in my kitchen once the fumes have almost completely dispersed ( my father has Empysema(sp?) and the smell of tin spray paint makes him ill ) and I leave them on a table about 4ft from the heater for at least 24hrs. I would NOT reccomend you try to speed up the curing of the paint. The car repair people have a car sized autoclave which heats the entire car up after spraying , but here's the thing about that , its a totally even heat , constant and regulated for 6 hours so any attempt to use a hairdryer only means uneven heating/curing which could lead to the paint flaking off later on.

Davie
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2006, 11:29:05 pm »

Thanks for that Davie, it sounds entirely sensible. You just have to let things take their natural course and use the product within the quoted temperature parameters. I suppose it's all about chemical reactions really. Trouble is, most of us are too impatient!

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2006, 04:11:40 pm »

Hi Declan,

You are quite right it was Stavros (wonder where he is).

The stuff I obtained was Plastx 2 Adhesion Promotor from Unipart. ?12-06 for large rattle can. I did some tests on spare bits before applying to the hull. Sprayed one piece with promotor and one with out. Then did drop test etc the promotor certainly made a difference. I would expect to get at least four large models out of the tin. and would reccomend it use to anyone.

yours Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

dennisw100

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2006, 10:29:55 am »

http://www.spraypaint.co.uk/Site/

All the plasticote colours listed there.

One think it is good for is where heat is involved. I've sprayed car brakes with the stuf and it's never burnt off and is resistant to even brake dust.
I'd say it would be excelent to paint say an IC boat as the exhaust heat wont affect it. They even do a 'hot' paint that resisits about 2000deg C so you could paint an exhaust with it.

If found with my car spraying if you try and make plasticote dry quicker with a hair dryer etc, then you lose some of the gloss. Let it cure at it's own rate in a warm dry area then it gives a really good gloss.

Daryl

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2006, 12:03:33 pm »

To use up the can I have just sprayed Plastickote clear on top of white, in places it has reracted by blistering. I'll wait until it has dried fully strange stuff it reacts when it feelds like it

I'll never use this stuff again.

Daryl

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2006, 11:10:54 pm »

Hi,
I have used toplac with great success, but it did need several coats with lots of rubbing down with fine wet and dry. One thing I did though was warm the tin in hot water for a while before starting, it helps it flow out.

I have also had success with humbrol tins thinned 50/50 with white spirit and put through an airbrush.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Stavros

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2006, 12:54:06 pm »

I am back took the huff from model boats for a while due to some one who from the Gwynedd model group sank my Robbir Paula 111 wiht his tug bloomin bully!!!!! wont name and shame him but hey the wheel will revlove.As far as the reaction are in the question it is all to do with using oil based paints and overcoating with cellulose or acrilic the two will not mix.Oil baased paints will go over any substance but try overcoating with any other product and sxxt will happen,if it does well one has 2x options start again by scraping off or what the trade do,sand down,and seal the surface with a propriatory sealer or do as I do cheat and paint over with 2 pack clear laquer building up with dust coats finishing with a full wet coat aloow to dry and hey presto we are in business.Any questions feel free.It was so good to read that someone has taken heed of what I was saying opn the other forum and advocating the use of 3m adhesion promoter,good swag ;)

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2006, 05:18:25 pm »

Hi Stavros,

Glad you found us and welcome. Got a good catapult and some marbles that should sort out the tuggie.

Yes I took your advice about the promotor and darned good advice it was to. You only have to look at my Atlantis hull in the yachts section, not he best paint job in the world but for me I was more than satisfied. I put it down to starting the job correctly. The promotor seemed to help the primer go on smoothly and without runs or maybe I am starting to learn a little.

Many thanks Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

flag-d

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2006, 09:31:45 pm »

Hi all

I recently finished a 1/24th WWII MTB.  I brush painted Humbrol all over.  I used several of the tinlets, carefully mixed, then poured into a larger screw-top container and mixed again to keep the shade the same.  I considered spraying but then thought that as the original was probably brush painted, so would my model be...complete with a few runs and uneven lines here and there (or is that because I'm actually useless at painting?)

I looked around for an alternative to the Humbrol, but couldn't find much and I only needed two greys, black and white!

Mike

Frodoro

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2010, 04:45:48 am »

Check out Google my friend. There are many companies that provide this paint product. My suggestion is after you painted your car, you must apply paint protection film to prevent the paint from dirt and unnecessary things that can affect the quality of your paint.

Mikasa

• Shipmate
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2010, 01:51:28 pm »

Hi T model train outlets they seem to have a large range and in bigger quantities in the jars ideal for air brushing. Brian

sailorboy61

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2010, 02:53:49 pm »

Toolstation do some acrylic spray cans, very basic colours and a couple of primers...grey/red etc...... no fancy range, but cheaper than halfords.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2010, 08:26:39 am »

Any opinions on Rust-oleum brand "Painter`s Touch" spray cans from B&Q ?   I recently tried one and it seems to be enamel, covers well  to a smooth  very high gloss.
..well can you land on this?

des321

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2010, 10:28:56 pm »

I used it on a fibreglass hull. Seems OK after 6 months. I finished with several clear coats and a final rubdown with Meguiare's rubbing compound (Halfords) to achieve a satin finish.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.