Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Speed Up Your PC  (Read 3424 times)

BJ

How to Speed Up Your PC
« on: January 10, 2009, 05:01:14 pm »

So we have covered AntiVirus and Browers recently, so let me now throw this into the ring for discussion....How to Speed Up Your PC
Go to  http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Gaining-Speed-Empty-Prefetch-XP.html and read on......

I was advised to do the following by those "friendly" ISP Help Desk people

Go to <Start> (in bottom Left Hand corner of the screen) and click
Select <Run> usually found within Help&Support and Search area
Type in <prefetch> and <press <Enter>
You should now have a screen of icons or files.
Select <Edit>  and <Select All> from drop down menu.
Then hit the <Delete> button.
This gets rid of all inbuilt garbage per the ISP's help desk team.

Over to forum.......

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: How to Speed Up Your PC
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 05:53:32 pm »

If anything, you are likely to have the opposite effect - especially if your usage is 'repetitive'. It just speeds up finding items you (the system) use regularly. Before deleting, sort the list on date (Click on the date header) and I think you will find that over half the items were 'modified', in other words accessed, in the last two days.

Barrie

The long Build

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 06:02:33 pm »

My file only showed items from the last week and nothing else, does that mean my pc auto cleans !!.

In regards to the temp file.. My seems to be taking up a fair bit of space  (never cleared it ) as I am not totaly convinced my pc won't die if I do it..  Exaclty what does the temp file do..  as i seem top have a lot of additional files wthin them starting like this   "gdggfgdfg6666cfhcgfdh"  whats all that about.?

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 06:10:39 pm »

Are you using Internet Explorer?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 06:15:23 pm »

Are you using Internet Explorer?

Bob

Bob, The Prefetch list is not directly connected to the Browser - its a list of programs or parts of programs that are used regularly but not normally kept in memory.

Barrie

The long Build

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 06:15:37 pm »

I use  Ie7 on xp prof .

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 06:20:56 pm »

Internet explorer will do it for you, just clear out the temp files.

Just right click on TOOLS in the top toolbar.
Click on Internet Options.
Click on DELETE.
DELETE ALL
Another box will open to delete all browsing history, tick the box.
Click YES the box will close.
Clivk DELETE ALL then OK

Done

I do this every time I log off.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

The long Build

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 06:38:55 pm »

Hi Bob
In my Case I dont mean the Temp files relating to online stuff but the temp files from when I have loaded up programs etc , I have been told that it is quite safe to delete anything that has a file date later than 2 weeks from the actual current date..

One thing I did do which speeded up the start up time of my computer was to gointo sysconfig  or something similar and cancel the auto start up of a couple of prgrams which ran in the background , Kodak picture software being one of them which really slowed the start up, afterwoods it was quite fast.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 06:45:29 pm »

TLB,
They are in the same folder, just in sub folders within.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 07:25:41 pm »

err, I think you'll find more that 1 Temp folder in XP the IE files are normally in something like C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\

and in Vista C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\

These are different from the temp files used to keep all the install files etc.

HTH
Richard

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 07:34:55 pm »

I also use a utility on XP called Ultra Wipe which will clean out the directories chosen.
Once the PC has been restarted, if any files are required they will be installed.
Temp Files are what they say.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Garabaldy

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 07:55:20 pm »

When i saw this i thought it was about the speed of the actual pc itself rather than the internet connection.  I delete all my temp internet files every so often just to tidy things up.  I dont notice much difference with internet pages loading up afterwards.

Has anyone had any experience with turning the clock speed of their CPU up?  I havent personally but i know its risky as the heat sinks cant disperse the extra heat quickly enough.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 07:56:24 pm »

Sorry about this post....but it is computer orientated. This is NOT an advert!  I have recently had to ditch my long serving and reliable Canon i950 printer but am left with loads of ink cartridges. Some empty, many are full. I hate to just chuck them away if they are of any use to anyone else. No charge. Just pay postage to wherever. Sad to see an old pal go, but I've just bought a new Canon iP4600 that will see me through a few more years. Answers either here or via my profile address.BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

craftysod

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 09:39:28 pm »

Garabaldy,it is easy to overclock your cpu,if the cpu will overclock,some can depending who made it.It is safe to some extent,i have overclocked plenty of cpu's,but you will need a software program (usually on motherboard install disc) which measures tempratures,which will shut down comp before any harm is done.
Just go into bios and speed up cpu speed and/or ram speed all depends on your system your running
Mark

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 11:59:34 am »

Another item in the Windows clean-up (somewhere under "advanced") is to remove all but the latest registry back-ups.  This was really clogging up the hard disk in my laptop, and has given it a whole new lease on life.
Regular cleaning of the registry helps, as does regular scanning for malware, and using something like Startup Inspector For Windows to shut out the startup crapware that many software vendors insist on installing.
Making the CPU run faster might help, but if the bottleneck is elsewhere it won't.  I use a magical system monitor called "Rubber Ducky" which is freeware from an outfit called "Mimarsinan".  In the space of a stamp it shows memory usage, CPU activity, net traffic, hard disc access, and probably plenty of other stuff, all with a rubber ducky swimming in an aquarium.  It caused me to increase my memory and cured one source of slowness.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

dan

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 12:11:44 pm »

i speed up my PC by doing a "disk defragmenter" found in the system tool in Accessories, it also help to tidy your desk top and move all the icons that you do not use in to a separate folder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.