Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jet engined Bluebird K7  (Read 13417 times)

nhp651

Re: Jet engined Bluebird K7
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2009, 02:37:07 pm »

i know it's a silly question, because you have the full length of Coniston lake to "play" on, ernie, but what sort of minimum length do you need for her.
secondly, do the lake district wardens not bother you about exceeding the max 10mph speed limit on the lake. %% %%

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2009, 03:08:00 pm »

Beautiful.

I'm impressed how stable she is, given the wavelts. And compared to the unfortunate original.  :((

One question - how long is she in radio range? And what sort of steering control do you have/want to use at speed?

Ok, so that was two questions. Sorry!

Regards,

Andy #1963#
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Garabaldy

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2009, 03:24:03 pm »

Do wren have a website?

Garabaldy

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2009, 03:26:50 pm »

Leovilla

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2009, 03:46:08 pm »

i know it's a silly question, because you have the full length of Coniston lake to "play" on, ernie, but what sort of minimum length do you need for her.
secondly, do the lake district wardens not bother you about exceeding the max 10mph speed limit on the lake. %% %%

Its not a silly question by any means.    I raised the issue about Windermere and the 10mph speed limit with the oranisers of the annual Windermere Model Boat show. I used to demonstrat my racing boats which were doing over 30mph and some over 40 mph. The organisers said the parks authority did not see model boats as a problem ( I rather suspect they did not realise how fast some were going)

Its usually run early morning before the tourists etc are around and it either gets run on Ullswater or Coniston. I think we will work on the basis that until someone chases off we are okay.

We need a minimum 0f 400 yards to run it.

Leovilla

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2009, 03:49:34 pm »

Beautiful.

I'm impressed how stable she is, given the wavelts. And compared to the unfortunate original.  :((

One question - how long is she in radio range? And what sort of steering control do you have/want to use at speed?

Ok, so that was two questions. Sorry!

Regards,

Andy #1963#

I am happy that it will be within range 300 yards either side of where we stand. Its got two failsafe systems on board to ensure the fuel pump shuts down upon loss of signal. At slow speed off the plane it needs full rudder to get it to turn.  At full planing speed minute rudder movements are all that is needed ; any more than that and she will flip.

Stavros

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2009, 05:36:30 pm »

4000hp turboed with Phil on the oars

Stavros

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2009, 06:05:10 pm »

What a wonderful model :-)) Thanks for the video, she runs very nicely. Put a nappy on the driver and let's see her really opened up when you have flatter water.

Leovilla

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2009, 05:51:53 pm »

My son has asked me to drive it for flat out runs mainly because hes no experience of model boats. I think he did well to drive it at the speed he did.

I may also get brown trousers if something goes wrong at high speed!  Sadly I think major damge will occur if the boat flips at the speed you saw and major damage will be done to the Turbine if there is a sudden influx of a large volume of water.

About 6 years ago I say a mono hull powered by an AMT Jet engine flip over and the engine had to go back to AMT in Holland for major repairs.

Its a risk like anything just a more expensive risk.

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2009, 10:08:08 pm »

Megga, loved the video footage from inside the cockpit  :-)) :o :o
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2009, 12:18:51 pm »

Hi LeoVilla,

Just beautiful- that is a truly great model, and i'm so glad when someone with the expertise you have doesn't just shove them into a museum- to see that on the water was quite emotional- have you seen the clip of Anthony Hopkins in K7 in the tv drama 'Lady Of The Lake' (its on youtube) - could have been your model!!!

If you ever fancy a free trip on Gondola just bring that down, you'll be made more than welcome!!!

You should model the Albatross that Donald used as a tender to K7- if you do fancy modelling it let me know, i'm currently modelling a steam launch (see 'intro new member' thread in the steam section on this forum) for the current owner of said Albatross- a lovely boat in itself (all aluminium monocoque with (I think!) marinised Coventry Climax engine, still good for 40mph) but even better for being painted in Bluebird's colours!!!

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.