Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Transmitter?  (Read 22345 times)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: What Transmitter?
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2008, 03:14:18 pm »

Thanks for that link Guy now you know what im going to do dont you  O0 yup send it to horrizon in the states,they have told me before under no circumstances will they ever advocate its use on water,with all the guys saying ive used it and such i though ok ill ask them again,got the same answer no we dont recomend it.As regards your claims that peoples experiences have been possitive i have to disagree because i have only seen a handfull of users that said it works fine but ive seen a great number say it didnt work for them.While i can see it wouldnt be as bad on say sailboat running at a few knots it could be disasterous in any fast boat travelling from between 30 and 70 mph.It only takes a minor glitch on a fast boat and its history  :o.
Mart
ps if you dont want to believe me email them yourselves on that link and hear it from them yourself.Im trying to save people from spending hundreds of pounds on radio gear that is not recomended by the designers themselves to be used on water,which i did say time and time again if you look back.

wideawake

« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2008, 03:38:24 pm »

Thanks for that link Guy now you know what im going to do dont you  O0 yup send it to horrizon in the states,they have told me before under no circumstances will they ever advocate its use on water,with all the guys saying ive used it and such i though ok ill ask them again,got the same answer no we dont recomend it.

Surprise surprise!  :-)  I'll be very interested to see what the reaction is.

As regards your claims that peoples experiences have been possitive i have to disagree because i have only seen a handfull of users that said it works fine but ive seen a great number say it didnt work for them.While i can see it wouldnt be as bad on say sailboat running at a few knots it could be disasterous in any fast boat travelling from between 30 and 70 mph.It only takes a minor glitch on a fast boat and its history  :o.

What I said was that hundreds of people are using them happily.   I think that if not there would be a lot of adverse feedback to forums like this and to the magazines.   A few weeks ago I was at the Model Boat Show here in the UK and DX5e sets were being snapped up like hot cakes at £60 each.

I did say in my post that a) I could understand anyone who'd sufferd a nasty crash to be suspicious and b) that I'd never recommend anything 2.4GHz or otherwise for fast ic boats as I've no experience or practical test data for these.

[/quote]

Mart
ps if you dont want to believe me email them yourselves on that link and hear it from them yourself.Im trying to save people from spending hundreds of pounds on radio gear that is not recomended by the designers themselves to be used on water,which i did say time and time again if you look back.

As I said, I believe you.  i just don't see the experiences you relate repeated over here either in my own boating or in the pages of the mags.

Cheers

Guy

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2008, 03:54:16 pm »

I spend most of my time on american forums as theres more info on there about my type of boats and theres literally hundreds of guys that have had issues with them whereas very few have actually ever had issues with the Fasst system in fact i can only recall one or two and that was due to the failsafe kicking in because of the battery pack they were using simply been not strong enough.That alone made my mind up when i was looking at changing from fm.For me if a manufacturer themselves says to me they dont recomend its use on water then id say that says it all .I run fast petroll powered boats so for me its fasst or FM only,anyway i posted the reply to let people make there own minds up,if they still want to try spektrum thats up to them but id advise them to contact spektrum not the uk seller and see what they say.Im not bashing anyone here im just giving the facts that were given to me by them.For the record i use FUTABA FASST and it works flawlessly on water.
Mart

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2008, 06:40:14 pm »

It is pretty obvious to me that the crux of the matter is what type of boat you use the system with.   The Spektrum system may well not be suitable for the fast ic type of boat, but it is ideal for the sort of boats that I have,ie, boats that I can sail on our relatively small club water.  Pete M
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2008, 06:50:04 pm »

My Futaba 2.4 set up is still going strong. The RX is in a ally box in the back of the boat with the Aeriel comming out at 90 deg from the box. NO Probs at 40 mph. Ask Martin , steamboat Phil and Stavros. They saw it running at Llanberis this year. GOOD Stuff FUTABA.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

wideawake

« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2008, 09:15:45 pm »

It is pretty obvious to me that the crux of the matter is what type of boat you use the system with.   The Spektrum system may well not be suitable for the fast ic type of boat, but it is ideal for the sort of boats that I have,ie, boats that I can sail on our relatively small club water.  Pete M

Pete has put what I've been saying but more succinctly!   I never was one for using one word when five would do  :-)  Mart has apparently valid concerns about Spektrum gear in the boats he uses.  That's fine, but I wouldn't want others, who have entirely different requirements, to be put off buying a very good value entry level set in the DX5e which will in my experience, perform fine in their uses, by assuming that they will get the same problems.

HTH

Guy

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2008, 09:58:00 pm »

Fasst is the way forward channel hopping avoids blocked signals,oh by the way someone else on another forum called them on the phone and asked if they would recommend any of theire radios even the ones with the modules for use on water and they said most def not.You cannot recommend something to guys saying it works when the people who design and build it say otherwise.Bill your using fasst stop calling it 2.4 lol theres a big diif between spektrum  2.4 and fasst its like night and day.spektrum locks onto one of two channels whereas fasst channel hops all the time so its not locked onto one for any length of time so less chance of been blocked,im no technical guru but thats how i understand it.That ali box seems to have held up well mate  :-)).
Mart
ps rather than use spektrum your safer using fm in a boat ,thats also cheap and i know id feel safer with fm than spektrum

Stavros

« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2008, 10:58:23 pm »

My Futaba 2.4 set up is still going strong. The RX is in a ally box in the back of the boat with the Aeriel comming out at 90 deg from the box. NO Probs at 40 mph. Ask Martin , steamboat Phil and Stavros. They saw it running at Llanberis this year. GOOD Stuff FUTABA.

Got ma Futaba set myself I run it on a 6v nimh set up on a 1 mtr yacht at well over 500 yds and not a problem.I sail for well over 4hrs with no probs at all.Forget all the garbage posted about batts etc even on a 6v gell cell I get over 5hrs with none of this absoloute POO POO about drops in voltage as someone on this forum is saying.Listen,you will only get that kind of voltagae drop if you dont charge your batts before sailing..fact.The fact of the matter is go out there and just sail

Stavros

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2008, 11:24:31 pm »

Latest gem from horizon is yes we are aware it says on the dx6 on the uk site it can be used in bots and boats as technically it can,but we are aware of it having problems on water where a few have said they had to swim to retrieve there boats etc,so we will not recomend its use on water.So thats as clear as mud then lmao  ;D.Stavros as i keep saying futaba fasst is brilliant ,as for spektrum a guy just told me he paid over $400 for his gear so he can use diff modules in his cars and boats and after talking to horizon hes now wanting his money back as they told him the same thing they told me .Its a lot of money to spend on something that might or might not work.As for batterys i use hump packs ,nimmh cells theyre the larger cells than the aa think theyre sub c ? anyway i hardly need to do more than a 1 hr charge the night before i run and they last all afternoon running at 60 mph or more .Lots of strain on the batterys at that speed i can tell you but they last really well and hold a charge for weeks.
Mart

Stavros

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2008, 07:29:40 pm »

Hi mart after reading all the blurb on  Specktrum ,thats why I went for the Futaba Fasst,as for the MINH they are AA in  hump pack from Component shop.

Stavros

craftysod

« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2008, 07:36:47 pm »

I got a spektrum dx6i,no problems as of yet,but its not a fast boat,so cant comment on that
Mark

omra85

« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2008, 08:22:16 pm »

People will buy what they want, that's what makes it such a diverse and interesting hobby. Your best source of information is usually your local club where members have PERSONAL experience. Hopefully they won't "ram it down your throat" that you should buy what they have  >:-o

Right - what's next, tugboats versus lifeboats?

Danny

craftysod

« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2008, 08:28:37 pm »

how about a lifetug boat  %)
Mark

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2008, 08:50:56 pm »

People will buy what they want, that's what makes it such a diverse and interesting hobby. Your best source of information is usually your local club where members have PERSONAL experience. Hopefully they won't "ram it down your throat" that you should buy what they have  >:-o

Right - what's next, tugboats versus lifeboats?

Danny

Not playing with you Danny, I've seen how you drive.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

omra85

« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2008, 08:54:40 pm »

Look - I've already apologised, hitting your wheelchair with the boat was an accident   %)
Anyway, you were only 20 yards from the waters edge, so it's your own fault  ;D ;D

Danny
 :P

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2008, 09:06:00 pm »

Look - I've already apologised, hitting your wheelchair with the boat was an accident   %)
Anyway, you were only 20 yards from the waters edge, so it's your own fault  ;D ;D

Danny
 :P
And I was travelling in the wrong direction as well, I suppose ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2008, 09:17:55 pm »

Sounds  like a good shot danny, bigger boat next time!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

GARY C

« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2008, 09:18:38 pm »

Hi mart after reading all the blurb on  Specktrum ,thats why I went for the Futaba Fasst,as for the MINH they are AA in  hump pack from Component shop.

Stavros
    I feel a lot happier after reading this thread, I was one who went for the futaba FASST system, never had any problems running my ic OMRA boats. My main complaints are, life of supplied batteries and price of an extra 606 / 607 receiver. I was saying on another thread that I wish I had obtained the spectrum dx5 set. Only because of the price.
Iv,e read the attachments from the guys in the USA and now believe I  have chosen the right set for my own needs. I would not knock the spectrum sets, but prehaps they only suit the scale and sail boats.
I will be upgrading my batteries in the new year.

Gary.

Gary.

omra85

« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2008, 09:30:41 pm »

Sounds  like a good shot danny, bigger boat next time!!

Bob

And he was a moving target  {-)

I'll have him next year  :-))

Danny

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2008, 09:33:48 pm »

Stavros

You wont be disapointed with it mate i love mine i just hate the price of the spare rx that i need to buy for my other boats  :o.You seem to be having good run times with your AA batterys but if you decide to change go for the sub c they last for a very long time,when i changed over i couldnt believe how little charge they lost after a days running.Anyway hope everyone has a great Christmas even you Stavros  ;).
Mart

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2009, 04:22:38 pm »

I have the Futaba 6EXA :)  40mhz

as yet i wont go for the 2.4ghz as none have a 5 proportional channels.

Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

andyn

« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2009, 10:11:15 pm »

I have the Futaba 6EXA :)  40mhz

What about the Futaba 14MZ with TM14 2.4ghz module?

omra85

« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2009, 07:34:29 pm »

I've just got the Futaba 7C 2.4 which HAS got 5 proportional channels (I needed a proportional control away from the sticks).
Great set and can be set up to do anything on any control. Also has EPA etc on all channels.
Thanks Santa!

Danny

OMK

« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2009, 09:19:22 pm »

I've just got the Futaba 7C 2.4 which HAS got 5 proportional channels...

I brought one of those back from the States, running on 72MHz - modified it for UK freqs' when I got home.
A great little radio.

Ditto with the Fut' 9C. Pretty much the same as the 7C but with a few extra mixes and other goodies for good measure.

omra85

« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2009, 10:48:50 pm »

modified it for UK freqs' when I got home.

OOOHH!  What would Mr Ripoff say ......    {-) {-)

Danny
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 23 queries.