The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Pleasure boats, Sports, Race, Power and Leisure Boats:

Paddlewheel driven Hydroplane!!

(1/4) > >>

Leovilla:
This is the one and only model ever made of this boat. In 1908 famous hydroplane Henry Faber filed drawing at the USA patent office for a paddlewheel driven hydroplane.
I got the drawings and set about drawing up plans. The result is what you see. The full size boat was never built due to lack of funding. 100 years after Henry filed his patent a boat albeit small hit the water.

The paddle is a multi bladed drum in the middle of the boat covered at the top and sides.  It works but I am having trouble with the elctric motors overheating- more work neeeded but the principle works.

Ernie Lazenby

Leovilla:
The paddlewheel. (Before everything got finished but shows you the idea)

Colin Bishop:
That wheel must put a heck of a load on the motor as you say. A very interesting design.

Colin

Martin (Admin):
Very interesting!
How fast does it currently go?
What size motor are you using?

Martin

Leovilla:
Currently I am using a 700 geared down 2:1  on 12 volts.  The fastest boat of that era was around  35mph; at 1/12th scale the model is doing about 8mph and thus is not far off the speeds of the real boats at the time.

I have options available and the drive system is very much work in progress.  I have used artistic licence on all the cosmetics/interior because I had nothing to work to. Fabers drawings were simply line drawings of the basic designs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version