Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: HISTORY OR PC LUNACY  (Read 29839 times)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: I'm Appalled
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2009, 04:43:56 pm »

I also think it's time we stuck to BOATS..... then there would be less problems

Proteus

Absolutely.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2009, 04:48:16 pm »

I'm always getting stuck to mine... {:-{

JohnneyBoy

• Full Mayhemer
    • John's Library
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2009, 04:49:35 pm »

I also think it's time we stuck to BOATS..... then there would be less problems

Proteus

OK, sounds good... but...  :D

I used to fly model aircraft, that got stopped too much noise... so go electric = not the same.  {:-{
I used to run IC model boats, that got stopped too much noise and pollution.  >:-o
I wanted to run fast electric.. too fast for the wildlife  <:(

OK, I like scale...  

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2009, 04:50:50 pm »

OK, I like scale... 

Too slow, you don't get enough exercise.  :}

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2009, 04:53:47 pm »

You aren't appalled at all, just trying to make it difficult for those of us who give up our time to try and help run this site. You should know better!  <*<

Colin

No Colin...
I AM Appalled...
I appreciate the time and effort put in by those that run and maintain this forum... and I am not being 'difficult' at all.

Guy Gibson fought and lost his life so that you and i are able to live the life we lead. His dog's name is  / was a point of History.

If that name is used out of context, then it deserves to be ***Moderated***...

On this occasion, it was used in the correct context.

JohnneyBoy

• Full Mayhemer
    • John's Library
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2009, 04:59:54 pm »

OK, I like scale... 

Too slow, you don't get enough exercise.  :}

Given up on the exercise... gyms don't like me.. I'm full of electronics! So it's to the streets or nothing...

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2009, 05:00:22 pm »

toesupwa,
Unfortunately it isn't what was meant it is how it is TAKEN.
This has led to the plethora of problems that this causes.
But unfortunately it is the Law of the Land.
If it was guidelines it could me modified over time but it isn't.
But unfortunately it is a comment on societies values and not just this Forum.
With the situation in the US too I find it rather strange that you should be "Appalled"
Is there anything left now worth discussing on here?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2009, 05:13:10 pm »

toesupwa,

But unfortunately it is a comment on societies values and not just this Forum.
With the situation in the US too I find it rather strange that you should be "Appalled"
Is there anything left now worth discussing on here?

Bob

I agree Bob....

I'm British by birth... and realise that Millions gave up their lives in WW2 so i can live the way i do.

I also realise that History needs to be changed so we dont offend anyone.  <:(

No, there is nothing more worth discussing here....

Ralph Kings
Vancouver, WA 98694 USA

Currently crying .. and i think Guy Gibson would be too

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2009, 05:14:30 pm »

Why bother to mention Guy Gibson at all, just an excuse to use the N word I think. I had an Uncle who would sometimes come out with really appalling comments. He meant nothing by it, it was just they way they spoke when he was a boy. Didn't mean that I had to put up with it though and he soon took the hint.

Colin

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2009, 05:16:30 pm »

Going back to the Royal family and what Harry was supposed to have said, is that not a short version of the county's name where the person came from, i.e Pakistan ?.
Is it any different to me being called a Brit, Pom etc ? or an Irishman being called Paddy, i don't have any problem with it.
As for Guys dog, as long as its used in the context of its the dogs name it shouldn't be moderated, in my opinion

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2009, 05:24:15 pm »

What about if I personally find that word offensive.... even within context?

We can't change history, the dog was called N****, ( I guess because originally the word in Latin means "black"),
we can't change that, but that name now has a whole new set of connotations in the current world.

Weather you like it or not, Model Boat Mayhem is a model boat forum FIRST and yes there is lots of off topic banter
on here which all adds to life rich tapestry...... but this is a closely monitored forum, which 99% of member agree is
necessary.  We never going to achieve 100% moderation satisfaction because we're all different, so if I or the other
moderators say enough is enough then that's it. We try, if fact go out of our way to be as accommodating as possible
but even we have to be "politically correct" some times........ if you don't like it, leave the forum but before you do,
remember, we're here to talk model boats not "political correctness in the 21st century!"

"Free speech and expressions of personal opinions on this forum.

This Forum provides an opportunity to express opinions on a whole range of topics, not just model boating.
However,Martin (as the Site Owner and the one person who must ultimately carry the can for everything
that goes on in the Forum)and the Moderators he has appointed, are determined to ensure that all opinions
are expressed reasonably.

The Forum does not offer the right of uninhibited, free speech.

.....Lets play nicely everyone..... and Martin won't go to jail!"

Martin - Mayhem.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

JohnneyBoy

• Full Mayhemer
    • John's Library
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2009, 05:25:07 pm »

, in my opinion

We don't do opinions in the UK any more... sorry, last out... put the fire out, the cat out, and lock the door

JohnneyBoy

• Full Mayhemer
    • John's Library
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2009, 05:26:11 pm »

Make it easy, shut the Chit-Chat section

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2009, 05:28:33 pm »

Where would be the fun in that!  ok2
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

JohnneyBoy

• Full Mayhemer
    • John's Library
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2009, 05:31:14 pm »

:D

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2009, 05:38:33 pm »

Right. Good.
We all done now?

What did you get or more rightly, buy yourselves for Christmas presents?
And what are you hoping to build or finish off in 2009?

Me first:
Graupner Pegasus.
Bismarck made of sticks, brass and swearing.
Sheerline Akula.
... and they should be finished before Spring!

JohnneyBoy

• Full Mayhemer
    • John's Library
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2009, 05:41:47 pm »

A nixie tube clock!

das boot

« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2009, 05:42:46 pm »

The PC types would have forty fits if ever they came to our yard...nobody goes by their name. Everyone has a nickname and nobody takes it seriously...we have a slightly off colour chap known as Denzil, we have a Gobby, Twiglet, Pasta, Pecker, Wingnut(the boss), Romeo...etc. The list goes on..

Personally I don't give a t*ss about this PC stuff, I've been known as Sophie since I've been there(when I first went to work there I had a ponytail)and it's never bothered me. I've been called a lot worse at times and it's just water off a ducks back.
All the fuss about HRH Prince Charles is a load of tosh, he calls his mate Sooty and he gets called Big Ears in return...does he ever complain about it? Does he heck as like.

Come on people, folks have had nicknames since the year dot and nobody has complained until all this PC stuff arrived on our doorsteps...my father worked with a dwarf who was known as Six Foot, that was back in the 1930's. He never took offence...

Sophie

hollowhornbear

« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2009, 05:43:27 pm »

Hi all not wanting to stir up any trouble and being careful how i word this, as i don't want nor intend to offend anyone, but,
am i the only person that has noticed when broadcast on TV Guy Gibson's dog's name is now not mentioned at all, I.E. cut out.

K. Coombs
Surrey
England

wideawake

« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2009, 05:48:57 pm »

First and foremost - this forum is Martin's.  He makes it available to us and carries responsibility for it.   That means if we choose to be here then we accept whatever rules and conventions he requires.    That's as it should be.

Secondly I wasn't following the original thread so am not aware of the previous context in which the name of Guy Gibson's dog was used.   Hence I don't know whether it was intended to be provocative.   However in general terms I do not believe that we should be expected to rewrite history, whether from WWII or any other period.   Certainly the word is considered offensive in modern usage and I would not use it in those circumstances.  However if I needed to discuss the Dam Busters and the fact that the word was used as the code word for the destruction of one of the dams, at Gibson's request, because the dog was killed just before the raid, I would do so and not expect to be considered insensitive or racist but simply being historically and factually correct.

I think there is a very real difference between moderation and censorship.   To broaden it to another recent example.   I was amazed to see the term Bunting "idoit" moderated.   AFAIK this has been the naval slang term for a signals rating for probably at least 100 years.   It refers of course to the fact that signals ratings ran flag hoists up the halyards or "tossed bunting" rather than that they indulged in a form of self-abuse allegedly liable to cause blindness.   That's what I mean.   Moderation should take the context into account and not just ban words willy nilly.

Anyway that's my two penn'orth.   While I do feel that this topic is important, the most important thing is the continuation of this forum as the most valuable internet resource for boat modellers.

I'm off to make a donation to the running costs!

Guy

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2009, 05:53:05 pm »

Hi Guy

It looks like your bunting thrower got caught by the software. As without the Bunting in front of it the word has another meaning. So it is/was automatically changed.
Not moderators actions but website software.

Regards
Mark

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

wideawake

« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2009, 05:59:33 pm »

Hi Guy

It looks like your bunting thrower got caught by the software. As without the Bunting in front of it the word has another meaning. So it is/was automatically changed.
Not moderators actions but website software.

Regards
Mark

So I see.  I think I knew it had another meaning taken on its own ;)     In that case apologies to the moderators but "null points" to the software for not being context sensitive.    Maybe given that Bunting T****r is a perfectly acceptable Naval term  and that no one on this forum would ever dream of accusing another member of self-abuse, t****r could be taken off the "naughty words" list   :-)

Guy

catengineman

« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2009, 06:00:48 pm »

I agree with you there Guy.

This thread brings to the front how you have to be very aware on every thing you say of even infer

I was modded on a different forum for using the nick name for my wife. I now tread very wearily on that site in case I slip up with the wrong key strokes.

R,

JohnneyBoy

• Full Mayhemer
    • John's Library
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2009, 06:01:06 pm »

The trouble is... that there is too much bunting abuse going on...  {-)

Reade Models

« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2009, 06:11:08 pm »

I really am appalled....

This TigerTiger guy seems to be a law unto himself, and having complained to Martin about him on a previous occasion, AND not even been granted the courtesy of a response, I am frankly appalled that we are now not apparently allowed to freely quote from English war time history.

Guy Gibson and his Dambuster's were brave men, many of whom gave their lives so that we might enjoy free speech.  What a truly stupendous waste of life that turned out to be!

I've had enough...

Goodbye all.

Malc

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.