Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blue Lights  (Read 7667 times)

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
Re: Blue Lights
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2009, 11:33:43 pm »

Just a thing with these white/blue head lights ,i had a pair for my old car and i thought them to be rubbish on rural roads until i drove on a clean road with clear lines ,then the lamps came into their own and lit everything white up like a xmas tree . i quicly changed them back to the halogen type as i didn't doo much driving on clean roads .
Where we lived 3 out of 4 vehicles were tractors and the like ,lots of mud  :}
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Proteus

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2009, 11:56:30 pm »

There is a massive difference between changing bulbs and having a HID system also about £1500 the bulbs are just for boy races the hid system you would never want to drive with standard lights again if you had them.

Proteus

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2009, 01:16:23 am »

While I have a lean to agree with you TT there is a few point I can mention,
If your windscreen is smeary then the wipers are NOT doing the job required (change them)
As for a motorcyclists visor regular replacement is a good thing (its your life)
AGREE they should be changed, but fog lights are part of the problem, especially if it is only raining.

Driving in rain with the rear Fog lamp on is I believe illegal, and if you are in poor visibility (fog/heavyrain/snow) ask yourself IS IT REALLY necessary to "overtake" even if it is a perfectly legal operation.

AGREE, but I am taliking aboutwhen it is raining but visibility is still reasonably good. Just normal rain an be a problem, or there is spray from the vehicle you need to overtake (which has the fog light on). This is especially a problem on dual carriageways and M ways. Where over taking, even in the rain, is normal.

And a final note. Even if the person overtaking maybe shouldn't be, or even if others do need new wiper blades of visors; it is still thoughtless and dangerous to drive with fogs on in the rain. And by doing so peoples lives are being put at additional risk.

You cannot control others, but you can control how you behave on the road.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Roger in France

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2009, 07:21:48 am »

To answer the question about France....

No, it is not required to keep your lights on at all times.

Many French drivers put their lights on immediately it rains. Incidentally, it is not well known to you "foreigners" that in France all speed limits drop by 10kmh in rain except 130kmh on the Autoroute (Motorway) drops by 20kmh.

No answer to my question above about blue lights appearing to change to white?

Roger in France

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2009, 08:37:52 am »

Here in the US, fog light lenses spread the light wide, almost 90 degrees to the direction of travel.
Driving lights are more like high beams. Both are supposed to be aimed. At 25 feet, Fog lights should
hit a vertical wall 4 inches below their height measured from the ground to their center.
Driving lights are supposed to be aimed 1.5" below their height from ground to center.

I would guess that most of the annoying lights you see are people that slapped them on the guard, and
didn't bother to properly set the lights at all.... :((

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2009, 09:00:26 am »

Hi Umi

Even the factory fitted ones can be annoying.

But then they may just be maladjusted, like me  :o {-)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2009, 09:18:14 am »

No answer to my question above about blue lights appearing to change to white?

I think it is the way they are constructed Roger, from dead ahead they appear blue but as you get out of the centre of the beam they become white. The problem around here on the rural roads is that every other car seems to be a massive 4x4 with the lights mounted higher than on a normal car and when they come up behind you it's necessary to apply suntan lotion to the back of your neck. Also, far too many cars have badly adjusted headlights which must be apparent to the driver as they are illuminating the whole of the vehicle in front from the rear and provoking retaliatory flashing from approaching vehicles.

Colin

Roger in France

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2009, 11:15:38 am »

My Renault Espace has had the main beam tested 3 times as I am constantly flashed by other drivers when I am definitely dipped. But the French are strange, they expect you to dip long before necessary, on approaching a rise with a vehicle coming towards you (but as yet invisible other than for its lights) if you do not dip until appropriate they get highly agitated.

Mind you they are generally poor drivers, it is largely due to low density traffic and significantly less travelling as the French do not "go for a drive". I think I have told the tale before, but a few years back there was a driving campaign, "Drive like the English"!!!!

Roger in France

catengineman

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2009, 12:43:35 pm »

You cannot control others, but you can control how you behave on the road.

I agree TT ps: may have seemed in the wrong tone in my post and If I did please accept an apology. I was not inferring anything to anyone, just saying the way I drive. (yup I'm the old fart in front )

For several years now vehicles have been fitted with a little switch/knob that alters the aim of the headlights it normally has numbers 1 to 4 this will drop the beam when you have passengers or cargo in the rear. I tow trailor's and I have my lights set LOWER than the rule states so that when I go for the M.O.T the chap says your lights are low (too high is a fail too low is a fail but I get mine to the lowest so that when I turn my switch to laden and tow my lights do not dazzle.

Again just the way I am.

R,

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2009, 08:21:54 pm »

AND what about the one eyed cars with one head lamp out, or one rear  light out  :police: >>:-( >:-o

catengineman

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2009, 08:41:07 pm »

AND what about the one eyed cars with one head lamp out, or one rear  light out  :police: >>:-( >:-o

Illegal and that just shows what type of driver they are (not looking after their own car or even abide by the laws)

say no more  >>:-(

R,

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2009, 09:08:17 pm »

I nearly slammed a one eyed car thinking it was a motorcycle turning right! yeeek
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

catengineman

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2009, 09:16:03 pm »

In Linconshire the local bobby's stop you if you have alight out, my father-in-law found that out ! was prosecuted using a vehicle that was unfit for the road. Thats how it should be! if you take your car to the Continent you have to carry spare lamps (but not in this country?) I do and have even managed to get my son and daughter to check their lights on a regular basis, and put it right if there is any out!

Carry a full set of spare lamps, they are not hard to change and on some vehicles you dont even need to have tools.

R,
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.