Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 13310 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Windows 7
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2009, 11:51:17 pm »

I have to say I have not experienced any particular problems with Vista since I have had it. Mine was a clean install and I have heard that most problems have been experienced when upgrading from XP or from drivers for older peripherals such as printers not being available.

Windows 7 seems to have advantages over Vista in having a lower memory footprint and considerably improved user interface.

Don't worry FLJ, I'll probably go for a mixer in my next model. very happy with the speed controller you sold me last time round.

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2009, 05:43:32 am »

2014   :-)) apparently .. Only thinking about upgrading as I can get W7 Ultimate it for £60.00

:o - where?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

barryfoote

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2009, 07:47:39 am »

That sounds a dodgy buy to me. %) %) %) %) I have just ordered my update to 7, and it is free as I have only recently bought my PC. I will be very happy to get rid of Vista.

The long Build

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2009, 08:08:13 am »

No it is completely legitimate, However you must have someone in education. I have checked out the company with the school , microsoft where there is a link and they are legit.(as far as I can Tell)
Bought a complete office 2007 for £ 35.00. Genuine disk.

http://www.software4students.co.uk/

Roger in France

« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2009, 08:13:48 am »

I certainly, legitimately benefited from this scheme when I was an OU student.

Roger in France

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2009, 05:06:01 pm »

here's a thaught, what would things be like for those still using Windows 3.11?
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2009, 05:12:06 pm »

here's a thaught, what would things be like for those still using Windows 3.11?

Well Ghost, I reckon the biggest risk is of the spring breaking when you wind up the computer.

You aren't admitting something here are you......?  ;)

Colin

ActionWeb

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2009, 05:12:44 pm »

I'm Reading a lot of conflicting reports at the moment this being 1.

Windows Vista can be upgraded to Windows 7 with an in-place upgrade if the processor architecture, comparable edition, and language version are the same. Windows XP can only be upgraded to Windows 7 via a clean install. However, in some countries, Microsoft has recommended a clean install regardless of whether going from 2000, XP, or Vista, with reasoning which has not been made clear.

%% %%
Sorry, there is an upgrade path from XP to 7, but it's long winded.  You must upgrade XP to Vista (and then to Vista SP1 if your version of Vista isn't slipstreamed with SP1 pr SP2), then you can upgrade Vista to 7.

The reason for this is architectural.  Things like the location of user profiles changed between XP and Vista, but not between Vista and 7.  I've done about 20 of these so far since February on various Betas, Release Candidates and the actual release.  Works fine as long as the hardware is supported by 7.

Roger in France

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2009, 05:37:10 pm »

I am no anorak, IT talk bores me and confuses me. I am just a simple old user.

Please tell me, I have XP on a 2 year old Dell, I am happy. Do I need to do anyting? Should I do anything?

Roger in France

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2009, 05:40:02 pm »

No Roger.

Maybe you could buy an anorak though.... And then you could upgrade to a Barbour.  %)

Colin

Roger in France

« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2009, 05:44:04 pm »

Ha, ha very funny as I have just become soaked in the rain walking the dog! Mind you this is the first rain since 18 Sept.

Still there is little a good glass of red will not put right ! Unless you tip it over the keyboard.

Roger in France

ActionWeb

« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2009, 08:08:36 pm »

I am no anorak, IT talk bores me and confuses me. I am just a simple old user.

Please tell me, I have XP on a 2 year old Dell, I am happy. Do I need to do anyting? Should I do anything?

Roger in France
I agree with Colin.  Do nothing, stay happy.

The long Build

« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2009, 08:56:37 pm »

OK
I Received the windows 7 disc a few days after the official launch, from the software4students site and after  a few minor hiccups or as are IT dept put it "User Error" I have , I HOPE successfully installed this on the new drive, along with Windows 2007. Everything I had attached seems to have been intergrated into the software , Email Package found all my settings etc, even connected it's self to the Internet which I had problems doing on XP
Only gripe is that there is no Email package supplied  (something to do with a problem with anti this / that or something)  However this can easily be downloaded from MS , or you can install another, in my case it came with the 2007 package so no problems and it has IE8 as inbuilt which is naf.

One thing I think that should have been explained a bit clearer is that Yes you can upgrade from XP BUT it has to be done from a clean Install Loading XP on first and then running W7 as a new (custom)install and not the upgrade which is just for Vista users.

So at the moment I am happy with the results , brings the pc up to date a bit .

Larry

ActionWeb

« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2009, 09:39:25 pm »

OK
I Received the windows 7 disc a few days after the official launch, from the software4students site and after  a few minor hiccups or as are IT dept put it "User Error" I have , I HOPE successfully installed this on the new drive, along with Windows 2007. Everything I had attached seems to have been intergrated into the software , Email Package found all my settings etc, even connected it's self to the Internet which I had problems doing on XP
Only gripe is that there is no Email package supplied  (something to do with a problem with anti this / that or something)  However this can easily be downloaded from MS , or you can install another, in my case it came with the 2007 package so no problems and it has IE8 as inbuilt which is naf.

One thing I think that should have been explained a bit clearer is that Yes you can upgrade from XP BUT it has to be done from a clean Install Loading XP on first and then running W7 as a new (custom)install and not the upgrade which is just for Vista users.

So at the moment I am happy with the results , brings the pc up to date a bit .

Larry

As per your bold bit, that's not necessary.

You can upgrade XP to Vista and then update Vista to 7.  It works.  Honest.

The long Build

« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2009, 09:52:01 pm »

Not if you don't have Vista ,

I am Dealing with this upgrade purely from an XP point of view, ..Why would I want Vista !! near my machine.....I have to use it at work and that is all I will say about Vista... :D

class37

« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2009, 10:14:33 pm »

laptop came with vista and was so awfull I cleared it and installed XPPro.

now none of the issues which occured with vista, periferals work, and to bo honest I'd now rather stick with what I know will work than change to another unknown system.

if it ain't broken, just oil it and carry on !

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2009, 10:46:27 pm »

Well, my current PC came with Vista a couple of years back and apart from not being able to get a driver for an ancient printer everything works OK.

Colin

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2009, 07:29:49 am »

My 5 year old desk top PC has XP with SP2, while our laptop is running Vista, SP2. I much prefer XP, the main reason being the lack of backward compatibility for many older, but still useful, programs under Vista.

Vista has generally been poorly accepted by business, and the current thinking is that many businesses will wait for SP1 before taking up Windows 7, given Microsoft's poor track record with many of their other operating systems.

Peter.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.