Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I stop over spray  (Read 6305 times)

Lezz

How can I stop over spray
« on: January 12, 2009, 04:14:25 pm »

Hello all, I spray in a 8ft sq part of my garage which I have a small gaz heater, when spray painting using Halfords paint I cannot stop the over spray,
so I have a rough surface most of the time, also I use a electric fan to disperse the over spray.I spray item then move into other part of garage but still it happends {:-{ {:-{
What can I do to stop this problem? {:-{Many thanks

Stavros

Re: How can I stop over spray
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 06:11:07 pm »

Right then where do I start,well please for your own sake switch the GAS HEATER OFF when you are spraying...WHY dammed dangerous for starters,if by any chance that you accidentally turn and spray towards the heater then one word springs to mind BOOM or even bye bye Lezz and we cant  have that can we.

Right then it odes not sound to me like overspray but it sounds more like DRY spray especially as you have stated that the surface is rough,now how can you prevent this,well there is a couple of ways one has allready been mentioned and is usually the main culprit in causing dry spray..........heat,in other words the paint has dried before it has reached the worksurface.Another cause of dry spray of course is poor technique......Holding the aerosol or spray gun too far away from the item in question,but alas holding it too near will cause runs(another story)The ideal distance to hold a rattle can is approx  9ins away making sure that the next pass of the can is 50% over the first coat thus making sure that the item is wet,any overpray will then be absorbed into the wet area.Another reason is not shaking the can for long enough this can also lead to dry spray.But personally I think that you should also not have the fan on when spraying as this can lead to the paint being blown away from the job.
By all means have the heater on before spraying to get the place warmed up,but make sure hter is not a great cloud of paint in the atmosphere after painting before you switch it back on,any probs then just ask away

Stavros

Lezz

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 06:47:15 pm »

Thanks for that it makes sense, how even when spraying a hull I will spray 1 side first, then the other when first has dried,this side then becomes rough ( the first side).
I do get better results in summer months as I will spray out side, this is why I was thinking it is over spray.
All so when using the fan I will have it pointing away from me so I spray towards the back of it , thus hoping it will pull the overspray away from job? {:-{

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 06:54:47 pm »

Right then you should be spraying the hull in one go what I mean by that is do one side first then do the second straight away don't wait for it to dry just go for it.As for the fan sorry to be rude but what you are doing is suicidal...............WHY ........Paint is thinned in an aerosol with thinners.thinners and electricity don't mix what you have got  seriously is an accident waiting to happen.The electric motor is sparking all the time,thinners and sparks well work it out for yourself.................BIG BANG

Stavros

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 06:59:20 pm »

I'm with Stavros on this one. You have to spray the hull all in one go.

Two halves is asking for overspray. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

regiment

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 07:27:57 pm »

when my friend sprays his boat he hangs them up by a coat hanger and walks round it a good job he makes of it  he worked in a garage repairing dented cars  regiment

Lezz

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 09:08:31 pm »

Thanks all, see your point, will get rid of fan ASAP can see what I am doing wrong, will be doing more spraying this week so I will add to this later.
once again thanks don't fancy blowing my self up, feel a bit daft now :embarrassed:

Stavros

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 10:08:03 pm »

No dont feel daft at all,it is by asking questions that you gain knowlage we all haev been there got the t shirt etc

Stavros

Bwalsh

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 11:40:51 pm »

Taking on board what everyone else has said, its practice that gives the best results so always try out the paint in the same conditions before commiting to model.  The trick seems to be to get an even wet film thickness without overdoing it and getting runs and the best indication is the sheen of the wet coat. Check this with each pass, looking against the light to check the gloss.  This is easier if the surface is as near to horizontal as possible so for hulls in two sessions (never found overspray a problem if un painted side is facing down) as any over coating tends not to run too much.

Bill W

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 11:01:30 pm »

Enamel spray paints would take longer to dry so it would be easier to cover the whole model before the drying process begins. Trouble is, most spray's these days are acrylic based and tend to dry rather quickly, especially primers!

A question for Stavros if i may  ok2

Apart from Halfords, who else makes/sells good quality spray paints that you'd recommend???

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 08:29:09 am »

Hi Voyager you've been gone a while, Stavros has left the forum.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 08:34:32 am »

Hi DickyD, yep...it's sure been sometime sinse i've been on here!
It's good to be back on here with the ole gang again  :-))

He's gone??? Had no idea he'd left the forum.

Voyager/Wayne

Proteus

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 08:40:17 am »

I use   http://auto-paint.co.uk/carpaint/  I think they do mail order they will mix whatever type you want acrylic ,cellulose, twopack etc all in cans ,if you use an air brush they sell the touch up pots , all mixed to exact colour, they did some old BS colours for me and they are not that expensive, but dearer than halfords.

Proteus

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.