Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: very sad and stupid === ME.  (Read 2420 times)

catengineman

very sad and stupid === ME.
« on: January 12, 2009, 10:30:49 pm »

OK I know some of you out there are fly boys (and girls) so as a ball park figure what is the cost of a easy idiot proof plane? do they come in kits or is it a case of scratch build (mmm may need a bit of know how there)

I like to make tugs, I build from kit and also alter prebuilt ones to suit, I think I will diversify as I have destroyed my Tito Neri !

Well not quite but in increasing the props to 5 blade brass and also increasing the power from the motors to FULL and then taking the tug to the lake to play with the ice I jambed one drive with a shard of ice which has damaged the top drive and shaft bearing support.
I now have to purchase a complete drive (graupner asd) and I also need to increase the strength of the steering servo's without increasing the actual size of the servo ??? not sure that is possible.

So TN will be cast to the back of the garage while I cry for a few weeks or so. If I went into planes then my local club, which I cant find but has a nice field to themself's that I cant get onto. would mean I could not fly and therefore the plane would not get broken, and it would not weigh as much as the TN so I would not need such a big car, Spanner would be happy then. (at the moment she is not talking to me on the grounds that I appear to be in a f###### foul mood?

Thats it I will get a plane! put the tx on charge and just sit in the garden twiddling the flappy bits and that will be it.

R,                                                                   

Stavros

Re: very sad and stupid === ME.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 10:55:01 pm »

Nah planes have a nasty habit of comming back in a bin bag at least you can carry your TN

Stavros

catengineman

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 10:59:29 pm »

CARRY TN  :embarrassed:  I have trouble lifting it from its stand! (without the four SLA bat's in it  {-) )

andyn

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 11:09:12 pm »

You've asked the right question, and thus I have the right answer.

I have the Freeair Jerry, sold by Robotbirds. It is absolutely superb, took half an hour to make, is smooth and easy to fly on low rates, and pushes your adrenalin right out on high rates. Best of all, its £15. plus gear but you only need 3 channels.

Any of the Freeair series would be perfect for you.

http://robotbirds.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=29_40

Also I do not have one but Combatwings sell spectacular stuff too, but are a bit priceyer

I believe a flying wing is the way to go as myself and many others have proved they are absolutely indestructible unless you really try to break one. The Combatwings DVD that was sent to me free from the states shows one being smacked into the floor at 109mph and it only has a few dinks in the tape covering.

If you like these, give me a shout and I will guide you through step by step how to make them.

Andy :-))

catengineman

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 11:48:26 pm »

Hey Thanks andyn may go that route

There's a shop down town called hewiz (I think) and I'm sure I have seen something like them on the shelve behind the counter, they sell mostly helli stuff and no boat bits so I havent gone in there since the first time, even the Tx is 2.4 or some ???? no  40meg again no good for me at the time.

R,

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 12:59:52 am »

I also need to increase the strength of the steering servo's without increasing the actual size of the servo ??? not sure that is possible.

Hi Catengineman

Futaba, and others, do a sail arm servo that is the same size as a standard servo. I think it is about 7kg/cm torque on 6v. (standard are about 3kg/cm on 6v)
They also do anothe one that is about 2-3mm bigger all round the S3802 which has about 11kg/cm torque on 6v
Figures are from memory so don't quote me as my memory is getting worse.

Re planes
There are lots of cheap foam type flyers, that can be crashed many times, on the market.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Max Power

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 10:39:03 am »

If you just want a bit of light relief from the Tito try some of the foam models from Flying Toys.
http://www.flyingtoys.com/
They are sold through a wide variety of outlets and they do fly well. I have a fleet of the and can fly them in the open area behind my house. Best of all they come complete with radio etc and can be pick up at prices from £15 to £30 :-))

catengineman

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 12:30:59 pm »

Hi TT,
Well another day and I am even calmer now!  {-) I have the S3802 servos fitted  <:( they are about the biggest I can get to fit the frame and position I had to change the screws that hold the frame as they were not 'man' enough to hold the strongest servo in place.
I did like the drives and now that they have had some use and the newness has worm a bit I am getting problems, the first being the lower shafts and props. Daft 'C' clips to hold the prop on (lost three props) and then one shaft came out when I lost the last prop so I did a mod and then had 5 blade brass (std type) instead of the plastic 4 blade (thruster type)
In a way I caused the problems myself  O0 putting brass props on and then going for it on the ice (OH but SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo much fun with the noises etc) the ice was starting to refreeze and I reversed a little and the stern climbed onto a sheet of semi submerged ice where a shard could and did enter the Kort jambing the prop I went ahead (on the wrong prop) and the result a loud blood curdling BANG followed by what can only be described as a machine gun burst and a morris minor missing a gear combined  <:(.
I am lucky or unlucky in that I know my drives have bronze gears inside where as all the others I have had dealings with have plastic, and if I get a new drive then I will have to modify it to take my shaft and prop or get two and return to the plastic props  <:(
Or as I am considering take both out and fit fixed shafts with Kort's and rudders or steering Kort's, I cant use the Kort's I have as they are the wrong shape for steering with a fixed prop.

Hi Max Power
Took spanner for her blood tests and had a little look at some of the low cost fly jobby's   :-))
Could be going to try one soon :-))

R,
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.