Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 777 Motors  (Read 8613 times)

andyn

777 Motors
« on: February 18, 2009, 05:58:07 pm »

Where can I get a pair of 777 motors from, and speed controllers for them. Shall be running on 6v Jellys

Please bear in mind I have no money, so they will need to be reasonably cheap...

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 777 Motors
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 06:27:58 pm »

Andy,

It just happens I have a pair of 777 motors sitting doing nothing. You can have them for free, pm me your address.

Just a note, dont try and run two of these motors through one action controller, they wont work, thats why they are in the drawer. I think they may be ok with an esc each, but you may have to take advice on that.

Some people have issues with these motors, my only problem has been as I said above.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 06:47:06 pm »

Just a note, dont try and run two of these motors through one action controller, they wont work, thats why they are in the drawer. I think they may be ok with an esc each, but you may have to take advice on that.

I tested one recently, kindly lent to me by Guy Baggley. It worked just fine on a standard Condor ESC. I have heard, though, that the specification of what is labelled 777 can vary quite considerably from one purchase to the next.
As with everything, caveat emptor.
FLJ

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 09:50:42 pm »

I've two 777's from Model Motors Direct driving Graupner Schottel drives in my Nangee hull, with Mtronicks 15 amp ESCs (one each), not blow the ten amp fuses, yet :-))
They came with brass toothed thingys which fits the red connectors......

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 10:37:46 pm »

Oops - forgot to mention you must use at least 12v for these motors, irrespective of what else you might read. On this voltage I couldn't slow the thing down enough to get it to pull more than 2.5A, but the speed and torque on 6v are pants. "Skin", "rice pudding", "pull" and "wouldn't" spring to mind, among other words.

Stavros has plenty of other words................  :o

Suit yourself.

FLJ

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 10:44:50 pm »

Model Motors direct ARGH SPIT ETC ther are far better motors on the market,I would not polute my boat with them Garbage,my opinion and i stand by it Fitted them to various models teh man sellign them sorry to say this  psihgcapsn vsoivnsgpohnvcsrin vs[rtimvaymv sorry can't say it I would get moderated.All I can say is that I have been there had the tee shirt and thrown them away they are so appauling.I must admit one thing though Alistair doen not half have the gift of the gab.Years ago when he sold PROPER motors they were good,now well ........................................................

Stav

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 10:50:55 pm »

SO THERE !!!  :} .

daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

DARLEK1

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 11:01:50 pm »

Well chaps, I have to say, that just about a year ago, MAYBE 18 months, I had a batch of 40 of these motors all aquired at once from Alistair, I do not have any left right now, but, on 6 Volts in my Arleighburke class destroyers, I built a 6 at 1/96th, these motors made them fly, I have used them on 12 Volts also, no problems and in both instances on Mtronics 15 amp marine or the newer Viper ESC, the two I have left are in my Daring type 45 and she puts some fast electrics to shame with the same set up!

So, the question I have! Are the described 777s as above not the same as the ones being supplied by MMD now, the same any more? As I was just about to order a new batch.

Paul...

Ron1

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 11:07:23 pm »

I  have had no problems with the 2 in my DD USS MOFFETT.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 11:11:19 pm »

I have 2x 777's in my type 23 1/72 scale what is just over 6Ft I run it on 6v and use the old Hitec gold brick speed controllers
and I get a good turn of speed. On 12v my friend who has a 1/72scale Type 42 and found it was planing accross the water

I have found the 555's to be a problem I have a pair and they are not very "controlable" on 6v a waste of time
12v a better turn of speed but still not very "controlable" {:-{

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 08:29:08 am »

Are the described 777s as above not the same as the ones being supplied by MMD now, the same any more?

Paul
I have no idea, but I don't personally have an earlier (or later?) one to compare it. My perception was that the particular motor which I tested seemed flaccid on 6v but was much better on 12v.

Gingyer
I have a 555 in my workshop (thanks, BarrieW). I'll give it a try on 6v and report back, although I can't promise to use an MTroniks ESC.......  :o
FLJ

andyn

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 10:10:31 am »

I think upon reading all your responses, it'll get some 12v jellys. I haven't bought them yet, was just thinking that for the same size, weight and price of 12v 7ah jellys I can get 6v 14ah from Component Shop.

Thanks one and all :-))

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 10:38:53 am »

You can always try these http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=14857.msg150248#msg150248 they are real powerful
Catch me in a good mood and I can do you a discount for you....................... who said that!!!!!!!!!

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 11:13:15 am »

Oops - forgot to mention you must use at least 12v for these motors, irrespective of what else you might read. On this voltage I couldn't slow the thing down enough to get it to pull more than 2.5A, but the speed and torque on 6v are pants. "Skin", "rice pudding", "pull" and "wouldn't" spring to mind, among other words.

Stavros has plenty of other words................  :o

Suit yourself.

FLJ

Mine are working fine on 6 volts

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 11:40:38 am »

Funny that, isn't it? Here's another conundrum:

Following my promise to Gingyer Colin, I've just tested a '555' on a 6v regulated bench power supply, using a standard 10A Condor ESC and a Hitec Ranger 3 radio. With the link on the ESC in the Soft Start position I could control the motor down to 30RPM quite smoothly. Yes, that's THIRTY revs per minute (at that speed you can count 'em!).

Doesn't sound like this motor is the same as his "not very controllable/a waste of time" ones, does it?

Suit yourselves.

FLJ

andyn

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 12:02:22 pm »

FLJ, get the soldering iron on the 'soft start', I'll be needing some controllers in a couple of months :-))

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 06:52:11 pm »

Funny that, isn't it? Here's another conundrum:

Following my promise to Gingyer Colin, I've just tested a '555' on a 6v regulated bench power supply, using a standard 10A Condor ESC and a Hitec Ranger 3 radio. With the link on the ESC in the Soft Start position I could control the motor down to 30RPM quite smoothly. Yes, that's THIRTY revs per minute (at that speed you can count 'em!).

Doesn't sound like this motor is the same as his "not very controllable/a waste of time" ones, does it?

Suit yourselves.

FLJ

Very strange this {:-{

Thanks for testing FLJ looks like differant batches differant quality/ spec of motor

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 08:59:03 pm »

I have 2 x 777's in my Schutze.
On 6 volts too slow. On 12 she flies, too fast, this is on 35mm brass props.
She is about 4 foot long.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 10:36:05 pm »

These 777 must be like Marmite!   O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

warship1

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 05:56:07 am »

I have two in my Flight IIa Burke and two in my Type 45 both running on 6 volts and not had any problems with either.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.