Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anchor Stowage - advice needed  (Read 8857 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Anchor Stowage - advice needed
« on: January 13, 2009, 05:55:00 pm »

I am in the process of trying to complete my Deans SY Medea but the arrangements for stowing the anchor aren't at all clear. It's an old fashioned setup whereby the anchors are stowed on deck and handled using two anchor davits each side. What I cannot work out is exactly how to rig them. The stock fisherman type anchors themselves stow flat on the deck as shown in the photo. The locations of the two davits are indicated by the position of their bases.

I want to run the anchor chain from the hawesholes back up over the bulwarks where it would presumably connect directly to the anchor. There must however be some additional rigging to both anchor davits to allow the anchor to be hoisted over the side and subsequently recovered and I can't find any illustrations on the Net or in my books which show this. I have found some pictures of naval vessels but these show the anchor being stowed outboard of the bulwarks on a cathead which is not the same arrangement as on Medea. In any case I don't want fittings hanging over the side of the model where they are likely to be easily knocked off.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Colin

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Anchor Stowage - advice needed
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 08:59:13 pm »

Colin,
On our vessels that had that type of anchor.
The chain came out of the hawse pipes and over the bulwarks.
The anchor was attached to the davit with a small strop which allowed it to be lifted.
Recovery was the same but reversed.
The anchor was recovered to the hawse pipe and a strop fitted round it.
The anchor winch could be used to dragthe anchor up to the gunwhales where the davit strop could be attached and anchor recovered.
At sea the chain would be stopped off on the foredeck and not connected.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 09:10:26 pm »

Thanks Bob that's pretty helpful. When you say the chain was stopped off on the foredeck, do you mean it was simply disconnected from the anchor on deck and secured with a loop hanging over the bulwarks back to the hawsehole?

I still need to find out where the smaller davits come into it. The plan indicates them as being swung outboard. maybe they simply help take the weight when deploying and recovering the anchor.

Colin

catengineman

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 09:25:32 pm »

When shipmate60 says that the chain is stopped off I would say it is removed from the anchor stock and fastened to the fore deck (to stop it running back into the chain locker)
I would say the small davit would lift the anchor clear of the bullworks and then the swinging davit would be connected to bring the anchor inboard before stowage.

R,

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 09:26:56 pm »

Colin,
The chain wasnt stowed over the bulwarks, it had to be fed out with the anchor winch and a rope or small wire.
The only time the chain was led over the gunwhales was when the anchor might be needed quickly, it would then be rigged but layed on the deck.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 09:38:18 pm »

Thanks guys, getting clearer now. I have seen photos where the chain is led back to the anchor which is stored outboard on a cathead but this is a slightly different setup. So it seems that while at sea:

1. No chain should appear at the hawsehole
2. The anchors should be secured flat to the deck.
3. Both davits should be rigged with blocks and line with the ends secured to a deckbolt.

Maybe I should show a light line rigged from the hawsehole back over the bulwarks which would be used to bring the chain back to the davit for rigging the anchor?

Colin

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 10:13:17 pm »

You could do if you had a lazy crew.
Simple operation with rope and a boathook to rig.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 03:39:49 pm »

Colin, I suspect the second smaller davit would be to enable the anchor to be lifted over the bulwark horizontally rather than have a very tall single davit, which you would need to recover it vertically.

Just a thought.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 04:05:24 pm »

Yes Bunkerbarge, I think you are right there.

walktheplank

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 06:35:55 pm »

Hi Guys, sorry to ask but could someone put up a picture or a draw(ing)  :-) for us newbes, don't think i quite got the hang of it,  %% Sonic.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 07:05:50 pm »

I hope to finish the anchor bit in the next day or so - will put up a picture then.

Colin

amdaylight

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 09:54:30 pm »

Collin,

No problems, no davits, you have the wrong type of anchor, see the photo.

Andre
over yonder in Portland Oregon

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 10:00:57 pm »

Andre, the kit depicts the ship at an earlier stage in her career. The anchor arrangements have since been modernised. Having said that, the kit does have a lot of other errors which is why I am now building it as a generic steam yacht.

Colin

catengineman

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 10:23:00 pm »

In the top pic is that NESSIE ?

R,

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 10:26:42 pm »

Looks like it!  :-)

catengineman

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 10:35:32 pm »

Aee thar wee beastie get aroond laddie

Sorry could not resist that, by the by the build is coming on

From the picture it would look like the anchor is laid just inside the bulwork with the stock bar still rigged? but this would make some very awkward walkway on the bow.

R,

catengineman

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 10:41:48 pm »

I've had another very close look at the painting and the anchor is sat ontop of the bulwork rail
One point is out-board and the other is pointing inboard, it then looks like the tall davit's handy billy is connected to the base of the anchor. not much help to you as to the position of the smaller davit sorry.

Oh do you notice the  crew are looking away from Nessie but the dog isnt

R,

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 10:58:58 pm »

Yes, I didn't want to rig the anchor like that as it would be too vulnerable on a working model. The plan with the kit shows the anchors stowed on deck which is what I am doing. I glued everything on tonight and now just have to rig up some convincing blocks and lines to simulate the stowage being in the "at sea" state. That way there is nothing sticking out over the side although I do quite like the impression given by the anchor chain being led back the way it is shown in the paintings.

Colin

catengineman

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 11:07:06 pm »

The tall davits and handy billys would be in line with the bulwarks (in my opinion) you could have the lower block still connected to the base of the anchor, but good seamen would stow and make fast to cleats, well you never know when you may use a davit for other duties. and if the davits are like I think then they to would be removed and stowed inside the bulwarks (as was on an old tug I worked on) we never did get the davit away from its stow clamps  :embarrassed:

As suggested in an earlier post would it be better to have a "rope" messenger from the hawspipe to a cleat on the bulwarks

R,

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 11:21:36 pm »

As suggested in an earlier post would it be better to have a "rope" messenger from the hawspipe to a cleat on the bulwarks

Yes, I shall do that. Also, as you, and others have said, the davit would be unlikely to be rigged to the anchor unless it was expected to be used. Might come in handy for lifting Edwardian picnic hampers over the side! I shall make off the lower blocks to ring bolts on deck. There was a problem with the small davits as they were not tall enough to reach over the bulwarks(!) so I have had to mount them on plinths. The whole setup will be a bit rough and ready but it isn't a super scale model so as long as it looks in keeping with the rest of the build it will have to do.

Colin

Proteus

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 11:58:19 pm »

these may give an idea.no not my boat I wish

Proteus

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 09:02:06 am »

...why did the shipyards make anchor stowage so complicated?!?!  :((
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 09:45:59 am »

It was to do with the anchor design Martin. Most ship anchors of the period were of the "fisherman" type as shown in Proteus' helpful pictures above. As you can see, the flukes and the stock are set at right angles to each other to ensure that the anchor would dig in when dropped. But this made it impossible to draw up into a hawsehole or to stow flat on deck. In the days of the sailing navy the anchors would be lashed to a cathead projecting over the side of the ship (as on HMS Victory). Early steamships continued this practice but later the anchor design evolved to that shown by Proteus above. As you will notice, one of the arms of the stock has a right angled bend at the end with a ball on it. The centre of the stock was secured to the shank of the anchor with a pin. When the pin was withdrawn, the stock could be slid through an eye at the top of the shank and turned so that it would lie parallel with the shank which enabled the anchor to be stowed flat on deck. It still wouldn't fit up the hawsehole though so you had to have a davit to hoist it on board.

Anchor design is quite a scientific business as different types are best for different sea bottom conditions, sand, rock, mud etc. Generally, the fisherman type is considered to be rather inefficient these days and all large vessels are fitted with a stockless type where the shank can be drawn up into the hawsepipe. Smaller vessels like yachts may have a variety of types but most are either based on the Danforth or the Plough designs.

Colin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 08:00:34 pm »

Not able to rig the davits at the moment as there aren't enough blocks in the kit to do these and the lifeboats so I've ordered some more from Mobile Marine Models. Meanwhile, the story so far...

catengineman

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 07:36:58 am »

:-))

Now that looks great Colin

:-))
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.