Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anchor Stowage - advice needed  (Read 8861 times)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Anchor Stowage - advice needed
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 08:07:40 am »

Colin,
Is the deck the printed overlay from the kit?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 09:31:59 am »

Yes it is Bob but I added the joints between the ends of the planks in pencil. The printed positions of many of the hatches, fittings, mast etc. were off centre which were just some of many errors in the kit I have had to compensate for. The deck overlay is sticky back vinyl but I replaced the styrene deck itself with ply which weighs about half as much.

Colin

kno3

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2009, 03:10:01 pm »

Hello, Since I'm also planning to add an achor to my steam tug, what would be the most appropriate type?
Think about a small steam tug from before WW2, even earlier. This is the one I mean:
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11688.50

amdaylight

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2009, 09:15:44 pm »

Collin,

I just received a set of plans from the San Diego Maritime Museum and the plans include both the as built drawings and how she is configured today. In regards to the anchor it looks like she had a set of removable cat heads just a little behind the windlass and then the davits for the anchors even with the middle of the forward companion way. The cat heads overhung the rail by about 2'. The drawing shows the fisherman's style of anchor siting on the rail, but this cant be right, too much chance of the anchor coming adrift in a storm. It would have made it convenient to deploy the anchor from there though. Also it does not seem right to just have the anchor chain coming back over the rail so maybe they did sit on the rail. If you want I can scan the relevant parts of the drawing and e-mail them to you.

Andre
over yonder in Portland Oregon

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2009, 10:36:56 pm »

Andre, Thanks very much for that information, it's always interesting to get further detail like that. If the anchor chain was brought back then it's almost certain that the anchor would be mounted at rail level, probably on a cathead as you say or reinforced mounting as was naval practice in the late 19th C. The problem I have is that the kit isn't all that accurate anyway and what there is isn't all that well executed so I took the decision to modify it to my own requirements so that, while based on the Medea, I will treat it as being a generic steam yacht of the period and give it another name.

As far as the anchors are concerned I will just leave it as per my last illustration except that I will rig some block and tackle in a logical way. That way there will be nothing hanging over the side to snag on anything the model hits!

The plans you have sound very interesting and I would imagine would make a great basis for a 100% scale model of this very attractive ship. I did visit San Diego in September 2001(!) but never got to see the Medea as our travel arrangements were completely disrupted due to the World Trade Centre tragedy. We were due to fly to Las Vegas but all flights were grounded and we had to drive there instead. The phone system more or less crashed and it took two days to get approval from the car hire company in San Francisco to drop the vehicle off at Las Vegas airport. We did have an enjoyable three days in Vegas though with a chopper trip over the Grand Canyon and another along the Strip at night. Not something to be forgotten!

Colin

Proteus

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2009, 10:42:08 pm »

Hello, Since I'm also planning to add an achor to my steam tug, what would be the most appropriate type?
Think about a small steam tug from before WW2, even earlier. This is the one I mean:
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11688.50

there are some nice pictures in the middle of the latest model boats mag showing just that , its the steam tug portwey www.stportwey.co.uk/ 

Proteus

amdaylight

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2009, 11:22:00 pm »

Collin,

Looking good  :-))

And yes that is why I ordered them, as you said the Dean's kit was not that accurate. You missed seeing the Star of India and the rest of the nice ships that they have at the San Diego Maritime Museum, oh wait they have changed their name to Maritime Museum of San Diego . . .

I remember being out past Point Loma when they had the Star out for a sail, what a sight that was. They try and take her out at least once a year for a sail, it would really be nice if they took her out for a week or so instead of just for the day.

Andre
over yonder in Portland Oregon

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2009, 11:57:43 pm »

Andre, we did see the Star of India and I took a couple of pics from the quayside. Beautiful ship, as was the Balaclutha in San Francisco. Seems like we have to rely on the USA to preserve our ships! We stayed on the old Queen Mary at Long beach on our drive from san Francisco to San Diego. A real experience as the last time I'd seen her was in 1967 at Southampton.

Colin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2009, 06:34:41 pm »

I've been doing some other work on the model and left this for a bit. From previous comments and some more googling I think I have now got the principles sussed. The smaller thicker "davits" are in fact catheads used to take the weight of the anchor between the deck and the water surface. Thus, when raising the anchor the windlass would be used to bring it to the surface. It would then be shackled to the cathead which would be used to bring it up to bulwark level. The thinner conventional davits (fish davits) would then be used to bring the dangling flukes up so that the anchor was horizontal and could be lifted over the bulwarks and lowered onto its bed on deck. The reverse procedure would have been used when lowering the anchor.

Of course the kit instructions and plan explain none of this so deciding what rigging to show is a bit problematical. At the moment I have rigged the fish davits with two blocks and brought the line down and aft to a staghorn bollard near the foot of the davit and will coil the end of the line and hang it on the inside of the bulwark. That looks reasonably convincing. However, the catheads have single sheaves built into their outer ends so you can't obviously rig a conventional double block system. On the actual vessel there would probably have been a substantial multiple sheave block tackle fitted from the cathead to take the weight of the anchor which would have been rigged when required and this would have been led back in some way to the drums on the windlass. As it is by no means clear how this would have been done I'm tempted to leave the catheads unrigged and stowed inboard. As previously suggested, it seems quite likely that the fish davits would have been used for general hoisting purposes.

Thanks to all for comments to date, I'll post some more pics when Iv'e finished sorting out the fish davits.

Colin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2009, 03:51:40 pm »

I happened to be up at the London Science Museum yesterday and took the opportunity to take pictures of the anchor handling arrangements of over 40 of the older type models for future reference - hardly any two appeared to be the same! The one that came closest to my current model is shown below.

Colin

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 22 queries.