Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Under-water hull red? finding LWL on hull? and plating hulls query.  (Read 5737 times)

TCC

Hi
What humbrol colour is the red on hulls under the waterline? What number is it or nearest? I'd prefer not to mix it as I'll probably need to repair it years later and hence, buying a new tin. (My experience with mixed paint is they go hard)

Is the red paint under the hull supposed to be 'red lead'?

If Humbrol don't do a tin of the right colour, do WEM or others like them?

LWL: In books, I read something like 'The armour finished 16 ft above the LWL' and/or 'the gun barrel axis was x feet above the LWL'. I look on my plan and I can see the top of the boot topping, the bottom and in between the 2 os the 'waterline' drawn on the plan.

I know LWL means 'Low Water Line' but how can I find it?

Mt last query is I'm plating my hull and drwing the strakes myself. I know the approx. arrangment of them and where the stop and start. [The LWL query above could affect this arrangment.. but not pattern] On the orig plan, all the strakes on the side of the hull, above the keel, are level and are parallel with each other. The only curves to them are the strakes around the keels, the strake directly above each sides keel and those below it get progressively more curved as they go towards either extreme and as they go towards the centreline.

My query is about those above the keel on the hulls side, the ones that are level and parallel with each other. Is that right? The stakes at the bow and stern are level with the waterline? Of course, when I cut them out of whatever material I'll use, these strips will be decidedly un-square.

I know the plan is wrong as the author notes nder 1 section of it 'approximate position of plating', inspection of images shows the plating to be very different... but I need to know if the strakes at either extreme are 'level'?

Cheers

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
  • Very passionate about ships
Re: Under-water hull red? finding LWL on hull? and plating hulls query.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 06:33:14 am »

Hi TCC,

The low waterline can be found in the specifications of the ship.

I thought that LWL means length waterline, but in this case it doesn't help you any further if it would mean length waterline.

I can't help you with the other questions.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.
A day without learning is a lost day

nhp651

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 09:58:23 am »

LWL ( I am almost sure) is Length Water line, but some say "Load Water Line"
I could be proven wrong though! %%

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 10:02:39 am »

LWL = Length of waterline from point at which stern touches water to point where bow touches water

BUT!!

LWL = Load Waterline, i.e. a particular draft at which a vessel is floating depending on its loading condition. In merchant ships this will be dependent on time of year, location and whether in fresh or salt water. (Plimsoll Line). How the Grey Funnel Line measures it, I don't know

Thus, your references to heights above LWL.  

Low Water Line I have never heard of.

Hope this helps,

Barry M

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 10:09:33 am »

And of course a further complication is introduced by the displacement state of the ship i.e. is she running light or at full load with maximum fuels, stores and ammunition on board. There can be quite a difference between the two.

Colin

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 11:14:28 am »

WEM/Colourcoat paint - RN 19 (RN ANTI-FOULING RED) - would appear to be the answer to one of your questions.

As to the plating, are you referring to the plan of HMS Lion by Ough as sold by MacGregors Plans? The best advice I can offer you is to beg, borrow (but don't steal) the AoTS HMS Dreadnought book. If it's info on RN plating for capital ships you want, that's probably the easiest source to check out how it works.

LWL - load waterline, when discussing heights above it, surely?

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 11:16:14 am »

I suspect that LWL for RN will be when fully stored and manned but there must be enough expertise on this Forum to confirm/deny that?

TCC

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 02:40:04 pm »

Hi lads, thanks... yes it is LOAD water line, sorry... Brain fart! I'm suitably embarrassed.  :embarrassed:

Right now I'm scanning my book (again) for a reference as to how to find it. The answer should be in 'height from LWL to axis of guns' or 'Freeboard as designed from LWL (for stern, midships & bow)' and 'Depth (moulded)'  But when I measure all these out on the plan, i get some vague point in the boot topping somewhere that's different to stated in the book. That's why I wanted to know what the LWL is on the plan... or supposed to be.

I'm starting to think the 'waterline' drawn on either side of the bow/stern is the LWL. Agree? Think about it, the author has drawn the ship, he's drawn the level (waterline) where the ship as designed should sit at... and no ship would sail unloaded.

Put another way, what does the waterline denote if it's not the level the ship is designed to be sailed at? (and ships sail fully loaded)

What is a ships 'Draught'? Where is it measured to? (off to wiki... )

If I had a clea image of the roman numeral depth markings, I'd not need to ask

By the way, when I was talking about keels above, of course, I meant the bilge keels. Sorry!

Cheers for the wem paint ref... is the red underwater colour supposed to be red lead? Or is it a proper anti-fouling paint?

Re: the plating runs, I'm starting to think they are level.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 04:09:35 pm »

Red Lead was "proper anti-fouling paint" at the time you are taliking about and still is today for some vessels.

Barry M

TCC

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 09:21:30 pm »

Red Lead was "proper anti-fouling paint" at the time you are taliking about and still is today for some vessels.

Barry M

Hi bazza
I remember red lead' from the trailers of artics and we'd have had everything in me dads shed painted with it... it was either red lead or 'council green/aquamerine blue or battleship grey. I kid you not!

Red lead was a flat, heavy red colour... like the red of a post box/london bus but darker. Right?

So you think this is PRINCESS ROYAL with a coat of it?

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 10:56:37 pm »

Barry M

Hi bazza
I remember red lead' from the trailers of artics and we'd have had everything in me dads shed painted with it... it was either red lead or 'council green/aquamerine blue or battleship grey. I kid you not!

Red lead was a flat, heavy red colour... like the red of a post box/london bus but darker. Right?

So you think this is PRINCESS ROYAL with a coat of it?

Now you're asking! My memory is of something a bit lighter than postbox red when first out the tin. Perhaps the linseed oil had some bearing on it or different manufacturers produced varying shades or the bosun added his own ingredient if mixing on board.. 

Put it this way, who's going to tell you you're wrong? Paint weathers and changes over time and red pigment is well known to be most affected in this respect, i.e. it gets progressively darker.  Slap it on and to hell with the rivet counters!   O0

Cheers,

Barry M

PS. Bazza!!!!!!  >>:-(

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 07:44:31 am »

There are reports that the Cunard orangy red funnel colour was based on red lead antifouling paint as, in the early days, it was the only coloured paint that could cope with the heat of the funnel. As most other ships in those days appear to have had black funnels there may be something in this.

Colin

nhp651

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 08:00:15 am »

I thought Red lead was no longer available or even manufactured, for health an safety reasons :o :o

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 08:21:24 am »

The newer anti-fouling paint changes colour after immersion in water for about 24 hrs.
When painted on it is quite a bright red, but after immersion it changes to a Brick Red (a browner colour).
That is why I use Humbrol 70 Brick Red as it is VERY close to the wetted colour.

Bob
Officially a GOG.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.