Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Patrick Mcgoohan is Dead  (Read 4585 times)

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
Patrick Mcgoohan is Dead
« on: January 14, 2009, 09:06:24 pm »

RIP

The Prisoner threw down a televisual gauntlet that few programme makers since have dared to try to pick up, and is even more relevant today than it when it was first shown.

" I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."

nhp651

Re: Patrick Mcgoohan is Dead
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 09:13:21 pm »

I watched every episode of that "cult" tv prog as a kid in the '60's because all my mates did, and didn't want to feel isolated.
i have just watched the re runs................and still can't b........ well undestand it 41 years later.
any one who says they could or can must have a very warped mind. lol {-) {-) {-) {-)

The long Build

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 09:14:21 pm »

Thought you were joking when I read this but I see Unfortunately you were not. I personally thought that this was an absolute fantastic series in a lovely village where I stayed as a child in a few of the "cottages there" , hell I was even a member of the Prisoner society for a few years "Until they had a typical club falling out amongst the committee"   I bought the tapes when they were first realeased even the cd album (yes there was a album produced in the 90's) and now have the dvds.

R.I.P  No.6  ...He is now a free Man...

http://www.sixofone.org.uk/

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 09:16:30 pm »

He was NOT a number.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 09:19:08 pm »

The entertainment world needs another who refuses to be shoved into a niche.
Looking back at the series, and what I could remember of the endings, I reckon the moral was that authority would always have you by the balloons whatever you did.  As true today as it was then, but I could just have a twisted mind.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

nhp651

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 09:45:05 pm »

I far prefared him as Dangerman in the series of the same name............Now THAT was good. O0 O0 O0 :-))

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 09:54:53 pm »

I'm not a number, I'm a free man!!!!

Another superb actor who'll be sadly missed, RIP Patrick  :((
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!

barryfoote

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 08:35:31 am »

Another era ends......very sad.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 09:35:20 am »

Did anyone ever see Patrick Mc Goohan smile at any timewhilst on screen, thinking back, I can't say I ever have.
Good series Prisoner, didn't understand it but always watched it.

nhp651

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 09:48:00 am »

Dont know whether it was WIND or a grimmace {-), but I saw him smile once when he played the "baddie" in Silver Streak with Richard Prior ( and the other guy who can't think of the name.) O0 O0 :-))

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 09:59:44 am »

Dont know whether it was WIND or a grimmace {-), but I saw him smile once when he played the "baddie" in Silver Streak with Richard Prior ( and the other guy who can't think of the name.) O0 O0 :-))

The other guy was Gene Wilder, and I think  I saw PM smile when he played the prison governor in that Eastwood movie about escaping from Alcatraz. He was also in a Hammer movie back in the sixties where he played a clergyman who was a smuggler in his spare time. He may  have cracked a cruel smirk in that one as well, except I've forgotten the name - Dr Something?

I think you had to be smoking a certain substance to understand the last episode of The Prisoner. I imagined he  was when he wrote it!

Shall we start a Dead Pool here? Much more fun than running round the playground shouting "bum".............

FLJ

Roger in France

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 10:00:31 am »

I am not sure anyone was ever intended to understand "the Prisoner". It was meant to intrigue and challenge your imagination.

Much like many of the pictorial and musical arts, if you strive to hard to find a meaning you are defeating the object. It is not intended to have a meaning or be representational but to be intriguing, pleasing, beautiful, challenging, stimulating.

If it does none of that for you then suspend judgement and pass on.

I too have visited and occupied some of the cottages in the village where "The Prisoner" was made, delightfull place and full of mystery and intrigue itself. I particulalarly enjoyed the tower which had an inverted laundry boiler for its dome and the mural of Shakespere on a balcony (he was so real I said, "Good morning", to him!).

Roger in France.

The long Build

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 01:07:01 pm »

Did anyone ever see Patrick Mc Goohan smile at any timewhilst on screen, thinking back, I can't say I ever have.

Yes in the 2 episodes in Columbo he Starred in..At Least I think they were a smile , also a few Prisoner actions in them as well.

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 01:41:50 pm »

Yes in the 2 episodes in Columbo he Starred in..At Least I think they were a smile , also a few Prisoner actions in them as well.

He was also in 'Escape From Alcatraz', where he played the Prison Governor - it's just dawned on me that this is quite ironic, given that he previously played the title role in 'The Prisoner'

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 02:14:40 pm »

how old was Pat mc.Goohan?
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 02:16:45 pm »

Shall we start a Dead Pool here? Much more fun than running round the playground shouting "bum".............

FLJ

would this make it a dead end thread?

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 02:20:12 pm »

how old was Pat mc.Goohan?
According to Wiki, 80
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 02:22:43 pm »

thanks malc

Stavros

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 02:35:38 pm »

Bob sorry to contradict you but he ddi have a number as stated No6 see below

Patrick McGoohan dies
Jan 15 2009 by Eryl Crump, Daily Post

Patrick McGoohan

TRIBUTES were paid last night to The Prisoner star Patrick McGoohan, who helped put a North Wales tourist attraction on the map.

McGoohan helped create and starred in the cult 1960s TV show, which was filmed at Portmeirion near Porthmadog.

He died aged 80 on Tuesday in Los Angeles after a short illness, his son-in-law Cleve Landsberg said.

The Emmy-winning actor played the character Number Six in the surreal 1960s show, which merged spy fiction with science fiction.

The plot follows a former British spy who, after resigning from his position, is held captive in a small village by the sea by an unidentified nation that wishes to establish the reason for his resignation.

Portmeirion, the Italianate village created by architect Clough Williams-Ellis, was the perfect backdrop for the series.

Williams-Ellis’ grandson Robin Llewelyn said last night: “McGoohan visited Portmeirion while filming an episode of Danger Man and thought it ideal for The Prisoner, and asked my grandfather’s permission to film.

“Clough said fine as long as you don’t bother the guests. They filmed here in September and October 1966 and returned in March and April the following year.

“The first episode had already been completed and McGoohan hired the Coliseum cinema in Porthmadog to show the film to all the local people he’d hired as extras. I went along with my sister and was spellbound.”

The 17-episode series also had an instant effect on Portmeirion, with attendances doubling. But McGoohan never returned there.

Mr Llewelyn said: “He always said he would like to, and 10 years ago we discussed the possibility of remaking the show here.

“He planned to visit but he was always busy. The proposal fell through and he never did make it.”

Several appreciation societies have sprung up, and one will stage its annual meeting at Portmeirion in March.

Paying tribute on an online forum, a Prisoner fan wrote last night: “A great big white bouncing ball is said to have carried him away from the hospital. In the end, though, he was a man, not a number. Fare thee well, Patrick.”

Another fan said: “What an amazing person and such a life he led. I learned so much from him.

“May he rest in peace, and God's blessings to his wife and family.”

Born in New York to Irish parents, McGoohan moved to Sheffield when he was a young boy.

After leaving school at 16 he had various jobs before landing a job as stage manager at Sheffield Repertory Theatre.

When one of the actors became ill, Patrick filled in, launching his acting career.

The actor came to screen prominence in television series Danger Man, in which he played a secret service agent.

McGoohan was later considered for the role of James Bond for the movie Dr No.

He won two Emmy awards for his work on TV detective series Columbo, playing different characters opposite his friend Peter Falk.

In more recent years, McGoohan played King Edward Longshanks in the 1995 Mel Gibson film Braveheart.

ITV has completed a new Prisoner series, starring Ian McKellen, to be screened later this year.

Stavros

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 03:24:42 pm »

He was also in a Hammer movie back in the sixties where he played a clergyman who was a smuggler in his spare time. He may  have cracked a cruel smirk in that one as well, except I've forgotten the name - Dr Something?

FLJ

Nearly right Dave.

It was Peter Cushing who played Dr Syn (alias the Scarecrow) in the Hammer ' The Night Creatures' film about smuggling on Rhomney Marsh (based on the Russel Thorndyke novels)

Patrick McGoohan played the role in the Walt Disney Version - a series called Dr Syn, Alais the Scarecrow which they have recently re-released on DVD. ok2
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 06:43:04 pm »

Good straight actor. I am glad he managed to sell his idea about filming the series "The Prisoner" to Sir Lew Grade

I always thought the last episode of The Prisoner was rushed to start on Ice Station Zebra.

Believe one of his friends was Peter Falk (Columbo)

Also remember him in "Hell Drivers" with Stanley Baker

Proteus

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 07:05:33 pm »

The Prisoner ITV4 7pm tonight, it has been on for the last few weeks.

Proteus
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.