Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Name that product?  (Read 22290 times)

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
Re: Name that product?
« Reply #125 on: January 22, 2009, 09:20:48 pm »

Hello,

Who used to say,    "Give him the Money Mabel "

Old 'uns only need apply.

John.  O0
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

omra85

« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2009, 09:21:59 pm »

I cheated - Wilfred Pickles  :-))
http://www.tintagelweb.co.uk/Have%20A%20Go.htm
Danny

omra85

« Reply #127 on: January 22, 2009, 09:23:30 pm »

BIG glowplug for ic boat  :D

Now there's an idea .....    {-)

Danny

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: January 22, 2009, 09:31:44 pm »

Tilley heater????
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #129 on: January 22, 2009, 09:35:45 pm »

Danny
Don't tell me you are still using those old heater's.
I remember being taken out with a friends Dad delivering paraffine he was the Esso blue boy in his Blue Thames van.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

omra85

« Reply #130 on: January 22, 2009, 09:45:09 pm »

BB - Nope. Longer name??

Bill - no I don't use them (nor am I a collector) just "stumbled" across these.  I used to be terrified of them, especially the type where you had to invert the full tank to get it back in  :o :o

Danny

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #131 on: January 22, 2009, 09:53:59 pm »

Danny They was not very good as a heater but as an accident waiting to happen they was Brillo.
The best thing to go out of fashion me thinks
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

chingdevil

« Reply #132 on: January 22, 2009, 11:00:42 pm »

Danny
When I was a kid we used to have the heater where you used to invert the tank of oil in the back, it had like a needle valve that filled up a trough in the back this fed through to the front as the oil was used the trough was refilled. The heater used to make an awfull lot of condensation. Also when I was a kid acroos the road from us was the shop where we brought the parrafin, hugh tank in the shop that he used to measure out the parrafin health and safety eat your heart out.

Brian

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2009, 01:10:12 am »

Our hardware shop had one of those tanks as well, at the back of the shop. Not outside in the back yard, but inside the store.
That is a scary thought.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2009, 09:55:43 am »

Yes we had a hardware shop which had a paraffine pump Like a small petrol pump at the rear of the shop. He also sold by the pint Meths so I could run my Mamod steam engine. He used to put it in an old fairy liquid bottle to make it easy to get it onto the burner. OH happy Days.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2009, 11:50:01 am »

I seem to remember the Pink paraffin truck used to have two glass tanks on the back and a very large wooden lever.
If memory serves, the man used to pump from the main tank into the glass tanks and then drain into my mums pink
5 gallon drum?!?! Is that right?

I also seem to remember the paraffin heater burning away silently then every now and then buble like my empty stomach,
I guess for a  'chicken hopper' tank? Correct?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2009, 11:56:00 am »

Yes, we had a paraffin heater when i was a kid. Must have put out more water in condensation than it did heat. My Dad worked for the Electricity Board so he wouldn't have gas in the house and he couldn't afford to run the electric heaters.  The coal fire didn't work all that well either and was a s*d to clean out and lay every morning.:((

Colin

catengineman

« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2009, 12:03:23 pm »

I seem to remember the Pink paraffin truck used to have two glass tanks on the back and a very large wooden lever.
If memory serves, the man used to pump from the main tank into the glass tanks and then drain into my mums pink
5 gallon drum?!?! Is that right?

I also seem to remember the paraffin heater burning away silently then every now and then buble like my empty stomach,
I guess for a  'chicken hopper' tank? Correct?

Your right about the truck we used to have one come to us, each of the glass tubes held 1 imp gallon and the big wooden handle was a semi rotary pump to charge the glass tubes from the tank.

As it has been said Oh those were the days
R,

Roger in France

« Reply #138 on: January 23, 2009, 12:35:45 pm »

You are quite right about those fuel pumps. They were also used for petrol in the early days until it was decided that having gallons of a highly inflammable liquid up in the air in a glass container was a bit risky!

If you know where such a pump still exists, snap it up, they sell for a fortune to collectors.

Apropos tanks inside buildings....rather better than one tank I knew when I was a trainee Insp. of Weights and Measures. To test the pump we would take several gallons of paraffin into our heavy copper and brass measures and then return the fuel to the tank. This particular tank was round and cantilevered out over the railway track at the back of the shop, I had to climb on top and pour the fuel back!

Roger in France

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: January 23, 2009, 06:10:12 pm »

Weren't there "Alladin" paraffin heaters?

My granny used to cook on a pair of paraffin stoves - once she was chatting so long to my sister that the tanks ran dry, the wicks burned and every ceiling in her flat was black. By the time they'd cleaned the place up, Gran's silver hair was glossy black!

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2009, 07:19:38 pm »

Dear Tobyker,

Absolutely right, had a couple up until three of four years ago in a store somewhere, heaven knows where they are now. Not small, but not big, round base with a 2.5ft chimney with a round surface at top to put things on if wanted. They were very good heaters.

Roger mentioning those petrol pumps jogs my memory. Saw two in passing at a haulage yard somewhere (about ten months ago) - at the back of a building with brambles over them. Tall things with glass at the top. Will have to go that way again and see if they are still there - if the mechanics haven't put them to scrap when the price was high of course!

Regards, Bernard

omra85

« Reply #141 on: January 23, 2009, 10:42:32 pm »

So Bernard - just out of casual interest - roughly where is this haulage yard?   %) %) {-) {-)

Danny

catengineman

« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2009, 10:50:13 pm »

Yes come on Bernard tell me where so I can take a photo then post it on here so that every one can see what they looked like ok2
 {-) O0 {-)

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #143 on: January 24, 2009, 10:00:03 am »

Dear Omra &C.man,

England! Unfortunately it was an area where all scrap and 'dead things' from the workshops was put, so most of it was heavy stuff and would have fetched about £100 p.t. when the price was good. Nobody bothered with it when the price was about £10 - £15 p.t., but I doubt it went unnoticed when the price was high. Will ring them on Monday and ask discretely: if still there will let you know, but if I don't Post again, presume gone. Wish I knew then what I know now! However, such is life............

Regards, Bernard

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: February 07, 2009, 11:52:20 pm »

******* is good for you - just see what ****** do?

garston1

« Reply #145 on: February 08, 2009, 01:14:09 am »

Does anyone remember the Richards Shops advert? oooerr missus, quite an ad for a teenager growing up in the 70s! Also the Pound Power Man? But that one wasn't very interesting to me.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: February 08, 2009, 03:24:57 am »

Does anyone remember the Richards Shops advert? oooerr missus, quite an ad for a teenager growing up in the 70s! Also the Pound Power Man? But that one wasn't very interesting to me.

Richard shops also had a massive radio advertising campaign on Radio Luxemburg (home of the first big alternative UK chart).
To the tune of 'Hey! There Pretty Thing'
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: February 09, 2009, 03:49:03 pm »

About heaters. I seem to recall that either VW or NSU produced a car with a heater that worked by dripping petrol on to a hot element. Way to go..in more ways than one.
Notes from a simple seaman

olly

« Reply #148 on: February 09, 2009, 04:21:44 pm »

Re ******** good for you:-

Guiness and Toucan, but do we remember the guy carrying an RSJ over his shoulder.

What's that smell? Must be nostalgia.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.