Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: heathrow wins out  (Read 11423 times)

nhp651

heathrow wins out
« on: January 15, 2009, 01:10:47 pm »

I see this government of ours has sold the people out yet again for moneterial gain.
thank god the other parties have said they'll scrap it when they get into power.
can't come quick enough for me. >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(
if this country gets any worse, gordon the gorgon will be selling his own grandmother and nationalising her. {-) {-) {-) {-)

catengineman

Re: heathrow wins out
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 01:14:25 pm »

In this time of the so called credit crunch how is it that this sort of money can be spent on yet another project.

with all the people now out of work WHO is going to fly on holiday (who can afford to)

R,

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 02:37:53 pm »

Well at least look on hte bright side loads of jobs building etc that has got to be good news suerly.Yes I agree with what has been said BUT one has to think long term here

Stav

KenP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 02:58:26 pm »

Three runways aren't enough for a major airport, not when many airports have 5 or 6.

Answwer would be to convert one of the existing ones, outside London, into a 'super' airport

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 03:24:40 pm »

How about a big super airport near the southcoast, maybe Bournemouth, what do you think of that then KenP?
It does not matter where is suggested, it will always be wrong for someone.
Alan

Rex Hunt

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 04:48:39 pm »

In this time of the so called credit crunch how is it that this sort of money can be spent on yet another project.

with all the people now out of work WHO is going to fly on holiday (who can afford to)

R,

Politicians.......and Bankers!

Rex

nhp651

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 07:44:46 pm »

Stavros, would you be so keen to welcome new jobs if it was the village you lived in all your life that was being bulldozed...........don't think so, especially as the compulsory purchase order is made on a figure of the " AVERAGE" PRICE OF YOUR HOUSE FROM NOW UNTIL THE TIME OF STEELING FROM YOU....NOT THE HIGHEST FIGURE it ever attained.
as prices are now falling.....what price a new runway ???

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 08:52:32 pm »

Why do'nt we do it properly and build it on its own manmade island off the south coast somewhere with say 15 runways and a proper high speed rail and sea links to it then reduce the size of Heathrow and the rest to a small feeder type airports and view it as a national project and to hell with the expense.
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!

Proteus

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 08:54:34 pm »

well I think we have sites for all the new nuclear power stations that are going to be built, plenty of jobs for people etc  O0  . WALES

Proteus

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 09:23:48 pm »

The big issue to me is not whether the runway is needed or not.

It is the pure hypocrisy of a government that says we should fly less to prevent global warming and therefore bangs extra tax's on flying and then allows airport expansion.

I also wonder how many low energy light bulbs will be required to make up for the extra pollution.

Sorry to our friends north of the boarder but the sooner we pack this lot back up there the better.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 10:19:53 pm »

Sorry to our friends north of the boarder but the sooner we pack this lot back up there the better.

Colin H.

it doesn't matter where they come from, what party they are in the bottom line is they are only interested in themself
not you or I...........................................

snowwolflair

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 10:50:56 pm »

Lucky escape for those people in the Hudson.

If Boris gets his way to build an airport in the Thames estuary - Britains biggest bird sanctuary -  we will have planes ditching in the Thames every other week from bird strikes.  Well what do you expect from a bird brain.

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 11:26:59 pm »

Does anyone remember Maplin Sands?

Rick

snowwolflair

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 11:29:25 pm »

Wikipedia

The Maplin Sands are mudflats on the northern bank of the Thames estuary, off Foulness Island, near Southend-on-Sea in Essex, England. They are valuable as a wildlife reserve, with a large colony of dwarf eelgrass (Zostera noltei) and associated animal communities.

A screw-pile lighthouse was built on the sands in 1838, which was possibly the world's first.

A plan to build a third airport for London on the sands was considered. The project would have included not just a major airport, but a deep-water harbour suitable for the container ships then coming into use, a high-speed rail link to London, and a new town for the accommodation of the thousands of workers who would be required. An attractive aspect of the plan was said to be that aircraft taking off against the prevailing wind would do so over the Thames Estuary, thus minimising noise nuisance on the ground. In 1973 a Special Development Order was made under the Town and Country Planning Acts granting planning permission for the project, and the Maplin Development Authority was constituted and began its work. The following year, however, the project became one of the many casualties of the 1973/74 oil crisis precipitated by the Yom Kippur War, and was abandoned in favour of a cheaper plan to enlarge Stansted Airport; the requirement for a container ship harbour was to be discharged by the development of Felixstowe.

The Maplin Sands were at that time, and remain, a military testing ground belonging to the Ministry of Defence - see Pig's Bay.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 08:48:39 am »

Colin H.

You're assuming we want them?

Barry M

nhp651

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 09:01:42 am »

NO ONE WANTS THEM.
The trouble is they are arrogant beligerent and so full of their own self importance they'll be ther till the next general election, sadly?? >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 11:16:47 am »

NO ONE WANTS THEM.
The trouble is they are arrogant beligerent and so full of their own self importance they'll be ther till the next general election, sadly?? >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(
The trouble is, Neil, you have pretty much defined politicians.  Whoever replaces them will almost inevitably be even more arrogant and inflated with their own importance.  They will just as likely have backers with their own agenda to carry out, which will be carried out legally if not legitimately, even if it needs the law inverting somewhere to make it legal.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

gary r uk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 11:44:25 am »

guys
as a bloke that works around the airport i welcome this news it could mean that my job at the airport is just that bit more secure.
you know it is not necessary for all the planes to come into heathrow they have the legs to keep going on into Europe then put that freight onto a thousand trucks which have no need to buy UK fuel and drive it back over the channel to us.
the pollution from all those aircraft that you want to keep going on into Europe is still in the atmosphere weather it comes to the UK or not.
all the councilors & MP's that are protesting are the ones that will lose there jobs if they take a positive stance,its just selfpreservation.
all those people that say there children cannot hear in the schools rubbish are we meant to believe that those schools do not have double glazing.
all those people that will lose there homes the government will compensate them they will make money,after all 90% of them moved to the villages after the airport was built.
and i reckon a good 60% of those very people work or have worked in or around the airport at some stage.
double standards Emma Thompson was in the US for an awards ceremony 2 days before she did not walk she went by plane then got in a chafferer driven limo Doh
and as to noise pollution have you lot heard an A380 land of or takeoff yes that's right you can't they are whisper quite as will all the aircraft that will use heathrow by the time No3 is open in 20 years time.
this is my opinion that i am allowed to have
cheers
gary r
SAILING WITHOUT FAST ELECTRICS PRICELESS

snowwolflair

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 12:44:05 pm »

Gary

Couldnt agree more.  I live in Windsor, having returned here after 25 years and the aircraft noise is now a fraction of what it was then.  Even better the additional regulation required for the third runway is going to be applied to the first two runways so there are going to be even more improvements.

As for it being in the wrong place, an airport at the end of the M4, M40, M3, almost M1, and on the M25  and within an hours drive of 30 Million people seems to be the perfect place to have it.  Join it to the national rail network and its perfect.

TCC

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 11:20:18 pm »

I also wonder how many low energy light bulbs will be required to make up for the extra pollution.

I just start modelling agin and I can't see a bleeping thing in the living room of a night as all we could buy was 40 watt bulbs... it's got better in the last few days with a 20 watt of the new type, it's slow to start but that's as bright as the old 100 watters we used to know.

I'm not against change or green stuff (I recycle) I'm against living in a room with dim light in 2009 passing as 'Progress' and seemingly no options for brighter. As I say, we've ussed it now and got a new fangled bulb that's OK.

TCC

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2009, 11:22:20 pm »

I see this government of ours has sold the people out yet again for moneterial gain.
thank god the other parties have said they'll scrap it when they get into power.
can't come quick enough for me. >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(
if this country gets any worse, gordon the gorgon will be selling his own grandmother and nationalising her. {-) {-) {-) {-)

Other parties? Do you think they'll do any better? It's that old saying, 'no matter which party wins the election, the gov.t always gets in'.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2009, 12:36:46 am »

Three runways aren't enough for a major airport, not when many airports have 5 or 6.

Ken, Hong Kong made do with one for years, at Kai Tak, until Chek Lap Kok was built  :-)

Peter.

snowwolflair

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2009, 12:42:37 am »

In the years I lived there I saw three planes fall off the end of the runway of the old airport.  Nose into the harbour tail up in the air.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2009, 12:56:17 am »

In the years I lived there I saw three planes fall off the end of the runway of the old airport.  Nose into the harbour tail up in the air.
One was a brand new Chinese 747 - oops!  :o

Peter.

gary r uk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2009, 05:26:00 pm »

guys
where did all the tree huggers go??
snowwolfflair lives in windsor (flight path) i live in feltham very much a flight path what about the rest of you lot above!
richmond  reading both way to high to be bothered by noise
staines ashford possibly slough no(used to live there should know)
gary
SAILING WITHOUT FAST ELECTRICS PRICELESS
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.