Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SPLIT-SHIP  (Read 2811 times)

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
SPLIT-SHIP
« on: January 15, 2009, 02:40:46 pm »

Been down to the waterways museum today for a spot of lunch with the wife , and whilst browsing there i came across this .
Now i have done a google search and found this , which is a biger design but based on the same thing
http://www.marinetalk.com/articles-marine-companies/art/New-Split-Ship-Design-10549T.html
Quote from the literature,
split ship - inovation at its best
powered by twin pump-jet units to give maximum manoeuvrability, split ships two half barges, which operate indipendently on the waterways, have been designed to give maximum displacement with minimum wash generation.
For sea going operation the two barges are linked on the centerline in a ten minute process which uses hydraulic clamps to lock the barges together.
Once at sea, split ship has been given a sea-kindly,easy driven hull form for reliable operation and fast transit times .
daz

I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: SPLIT-SHIP
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 04:15:20 pm »

With half a bow like that, they must have been a bitch to steer when under way.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 06:19:45 pm »

Not sure exactly , the info i have is all from the museum as is the model on display, i have taken a load of pictures today  it may be a concept ship.
But this could be an interesting model to build .
daz

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 06:37:19 pm »

There was a shape ship a few years back of similar shape that slit in half but remained joined at the stern.
It was was intended for oil pollution collecting.

Another ship had flooding bow and mid section, which transformed itself into a mobile drilling or oceanographic
survey vessel....
                       ...or in my old brain box playing tricks on me again?!  O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

catengineman

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 06:55:39 pm »

I worked on two split hoppers the NASH 5605 and the NASH 5603 the 05 would steer straight when pumped shut and the 03 would steer straight when it was cracked open slightly.

I think I have some old video of the 5603 dumping chalk for a berth at Shell Haven in the Thames, If I can I'll dig it out and try to get it on to the lappy then post it to my photobucket.

R,

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 08:55:11 pm »

just had a word with one of the lads at the club ,and he remembers the idea as a concept about 30 years ago but it was dismissed as the waterways would have had to replace all the little bridges that cross the canal to allow the split ships to pass .
The half bows would not cause to much problem with steerage apparently , still a nice model .
daz
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.