Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Health & Safety  (Read 4978 times)

Damien

Health & Safety
« on: January 07, 2009, 10:17:23 pm »

While prepairing dinner last night I thought i'd try the new vegie slicer we aquired the day before, this thing takes 5mm slices.
Well 4th slicce of potato also included 5mm off th tip of my right thumb "ouch", a nice Lady Doc, has sewn it back on but dosen't expect it to take and thinks it will die and fall off, not allowed to get it wet fot at least 10 days and have to keep hand above heart height for a week.
Bad punishment for a momentary lapse in common sense and concentration.
Not doing too bad one finger left hand typing seeing as i'm right handed, no workshop for several weeks it seems, by then we'll be in full summer heat and too hot in w/shop ooh well such is life. Time to dream of next project.
Damien.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Health & Safety
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 12:46:46 am »

Funny thing about these 'mandolin' slicers. Perhaps named because if you don't strum properly you slice your finger tips.

But the odd fact is that H&S outlawed the old wooden ones, as wood is unhygienic compared to plastic or all steel.
But because the wooden ones were heavier I was always more 'aware' of them in my hand and you could bear down on them to get a better grip on the veg without them distorting. As such I had very few near misses.
However I find the plastic ones are lethal.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 05:03:00 am »

Bad punishment for a momentary lapse in common sense and concentration.

Dont tell the manufacturer, they will sue you for mis-use of their product... bringing their firm in to disrepute (sp).. and quite a lot of mental anguish...

You expected sympathy?...  ;D

barryfoote

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 07:35:13 am »

Quite right toesupwa.....clumsy so and so.....The instructions clearly state that these items are not to be used when under the influence of alcohol or caffeine.....

Mind you I bet it hurt like h**l. Unlucky or what!!

MCAT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 09:28:24 am »

watched a Rick Stein program last night he had one, and whilst explaining the danger of the 'mandolin' slicers
promply cut himself. when the program continued he said that noise you can hear in the background is the 'mandolin' slicers going in the bin.   those blue plasters to look colourful .

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 09:30:40 am »

watched a Rick Stein program last night he had one, and whilst explaining the danger of the 'mandolin' slicers
promply cut himself. when the program continued he said that noise you can hear in the background is the 'mandolin' slicers going in the bin.   those blue plasters to look colourful .

I remember that scene. An absolute TV classic  O0 O0 O0

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 01:14:30 pm »

Damien,

Mate I can sympathise with you as two weeks ago I stepped over my back
fence to cut some grass seed stems for our birds, and on the way back
forget to lift my right leg high enough, it hit the top of the steel post
resulting in a scratch 5ml wide 5ml deep and 105ml long, which added
up to fifteen stitches from the ankle up, and it still smarts......
Watch out for your pinkies mate.........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

catengineman

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 07:20:39 pm »

Funny thing about these 'mandolin' slicers. Perhaps named because if you don't strum properly you slice your finger tips.

But the odd fact is that H&S outlawed the old wooden ones, as wood is unhygienic compared to plastic or all steel.
But because the wooden ones were heavier I was always more 'aware' of them in my hand and you could bear down on them to get a better grip on the veg without them distorting. As such I had very few near misses.

May find that that is slowly being reversed in by people who know better,   Wooden boards are far better than any plastic, wooden spoons are far better than any plastic, do you see a sort of pattern emerging? (wood is organic and is digestible, plastic is a poison)

When I did my Safety course the first few words from the instructor *"Good morning lets start by telling you all that common sense does not exist"*
I was told to look upon every occurrence with the view the person's were not trained properly?
(I am not a safety officer any more) they are blinkered #############  >>:-( >:-o say no more.

I hope you get better quickly Damien & cbr900

R,

Damien

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 08:41:43 pm »

toes, no i wasn't after sympathy so much as publicly berating myself.
Thanks for the info and kind words guy's, real cross with self, my health causes me to work so slowly on everything i do, i really don't need forced breaks.
Back to Doc's today she will decided whether it is taking if not i'll lose the end of thumb , it feels ok though only throbs when i have the hand below shoulder height.
Roy i assume you didn't get that instruction ?
Still not as embarrasing as when my son was showing off to a car load of sexy young women and dropped his ZZR1100 & the gals had to lift the bike off him lol
Damien.

Damien

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 12:01:40 pm »

The Doc is pleased with the repair of my thumb,  the section i severed is a normal pink skin colour with no sign of infection or decay  looks like I got lucky and keep the thumb tip, stitches out next wednesday, not allowed to get it wet for another week (shower with plastic bag gaffa taped over my hand) or any hobby/w/shop stuff for a month. I'll go stir crazy with ideas swirling around with no outlet.
I guess Jo will get lots of attention!!!!!
Damien.
Ps; How's the leg Roy, hope it's healing well.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 12:17:17 pm »

Damien,

Good for you mate, the leg feels reasonable but when
the stitches came out they hurt like hell, apparently my
system rejected the stitches, the ankle and foot selled to twice
the normal size but has started to shrink slowly, should be
ok in a week or two..........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 05:31:00 pm »

Tiger: that is a very odd comment about wood. During a re-fit of "Fort Austin" all of the thick (and long and heavy) Beech or Ash workbenches were removed from the Galley and replaced with nice shiny white man-made units. Naturally the wood was snaffled (by us) pretty sharpish and cut up into "domestic" sized chopping boards. A couple of months later the H&S outfit deemed the new ones unhygienic and demanded that the "old" wood ones were re-instated. Ah. Well. Tough. Cost a fortune (again....blame the MoD "overseers"). The bits I brought home 20 years ago are stil doing sterling service. Natural fibre, can't beat it! BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Roger in France

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 06:20:19 pm »

Quite right, Bryan.

Good, tough bit of wood, well scrubbed after use, can't beat it. I hate all those laminates that lift when the substrate swells and all them bugs start to breed, ugh! Stone and steel worktops just dull cutting edges and plastic boards are filthy beasts.

When the Amethyst was scrapped just down the road from my home I could have cried (if I hadn't been too busy trying to carry lumps pf mahogany home)!

Roger in France

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 08:08:01 pm »

Quite right, Bryan.

Good, tough bit of wood, well scrubbed after use, can't beat it. I hate all those laminates that lift when the substrate swells and all them bugs start to breed, ugh! Stone and steel worktops just dull cutting edges and plastic boards are filthy beasts.

When the Amethyst was scrapped just down the road from my home I could have cried (if I hadn't been too busy trying to carry lumps pf mahogany home)!

Roger in France
Ah, so after a recent "posting" you are quite human after all! I did wonder what the "postee" had been on that evening!
Notes from a simple seaman

Damien

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 06:39:20 am »

A pic to turn the stomach of the squeemish, stitches out yesterday Doc put  steri-strips and bandaids over it but they came off while i was angle grinding steel to repair my Rover Bandit 3 scooter that had a weld let go while the missus was riding it.
Kid's please don't do this at home or anywhere else, always be careful.

I re-dressed it after taking the pic.

Damien.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 06:44:58 am »

:-))

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 06:46:25 am »

...that is a very odd comment about wood. During a re-fit of "Fort Austin" all of the thick (and long and heavy) Beech or Ash workbenches were removed from the Galley and replaced with nice shiny white man-made units. Naturally the wood was snaffled (by us) pretty sharpish and cut up into "domestic" sized chopping boards. A couple of months later the H&S outfit deemed the new ones unhygienic and demanded that the "old" wood ones were re-instated

Hi Bryan
This is why you won't see wooden cutting boards in commercial kitchens.

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 09:28:40 am »

A pic to turn the stomach of the squeemish, stitches out yesterday Doc put  steri-strips and bandaids over it but they came off while i was angle grinding steel to repair my Rover Bandit 3 scooter that had a weld let go while the missus was riding it.
Kid's please don't do this at home or anywhere else, always be careful.

I re-dressed it after taking the pic.

Damien.

Your fingernails need cleaning  :D

das boot

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 04:49:13 pm »

Oh thanks...I was just going to enjoy my dinner.   {:-{  <*<  <*<

Rich

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 05:26:30 pm »

was that 3 or 4 layers of skin removed?

how deep in mm was the cut?
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 05:51:19 pm »

You might be lucky there and it might just heal.

Its my thumb that got it 30 years ago and its still complaining to date. Remember all about keeping it above the heart. which did stop the throbbing. Shame it didn't happen at work you would have got Industrial Injuries like I do.

The wife says i would make a good Russia just as I can only count to 9 1/2 using my fingers.

Hope it heals but it will always be there especially first thing in the morning.

Seaspray

Damien

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 09:34:16 pm »

Ghost, skin & flesh around 4mm thick, Doc says 6 weeks to 6 months for nerve endings to settle if they ever do like Seasprays
Posted by: Seaspray 
You might be lucky there and it might just heal.

I hope so most inconvenient doing anything one handed in the workshop the soone i can use it the better.
Damien

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 02:22:33 am »

Bahhhh, its just a flesh wound...  {-)

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 08:05:12 am »

Pad it cleanly and well with a finger stool if your going to working with it . Slowly start and use it when you think it has settled down or the scab is off it. I could no longer do hammer and anvil work after my accident so I turned to driving.

Bee

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2009, 08:37:57 pm »

Lost about that much from a finger in an aero prop once. The tip was slightly numb for a couple of years, but checking now I can't quite remember which finger it was. The skin has grown and the brain cells have died.  :o
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.