Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the IWM a gov.t body? (Imperial War Museum)  (Read 2055 times)

TCC

Is the IWM a gov.t body? (Imperial War Museum)
« on: January 17, 2009, 11:12:49 pm »

Who pays the wages/bills at the IWM? Is it MOD, civil service or local govt. (local Civil-Service if you like?)

Or put another way, who'll pick up their (employees) pension tab? That'll point to who emplys the folks there.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Is the IWM a gov.t body? (Imperial War Museum)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 11:16:18 pm »

TCC,
Is that Institute of Wastes Management
OR
Imperial War Museum?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

TCC

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 11:37:35 pm »

TCC,
OR
Imperial War Museum?

Bob

It's actually the "Ipswitch Womens (sufferance) Movement" or IWM for short. The 'S' of the 'sufference' is downplayed nowadays since they got the vote, and have in most areas, far superior rights than men, and thus they no longer 'suffer'.

Ah... (sound of a penny dropping) no wonder my photos of LION are taking a long time.  :o

Talking of acronyms, we should thank the lord that the powers that be didn't name the St Helens Technology Campus, the St Helens Institute of Technology.

Fancy having that on the old CV!  ;)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 11:43:36 pm »

TCC,
As far as I know they are still Civil Servants.
The taxpayer will pick up the "tab" for their pensions.
As they will when I get Early Retirement and work for a Private Company on a recently privatised MoD Contract.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 09:48:15 am »

I tried ordering a photo online from the IWM last year. Got an automatic acknowledgement saying there might be some delays but after thet Zilch. Tried again, same result. Gave up!

Colin

Roger in France

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 10:22:53 am »

Is the IWM in jeopardy?

Surely no philistine would allow that to go? There will be/should be a national outcry if such disrespect were shown to our forces and our heritage.

Roger in France

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 10:32:18 am »

No, I don't think so. I believe they had a glitch with their online ordering system. It may be OK now. But there can be a delay in receiving your photos, or there was when I tried to order early last year.

Funding is not 100% by the Government. When I was researching my MB article on HMS Belfast last year (which is part of the IWM) the PR lady I spoke to mentioned the constant pressure to maintain income from visitors and by staging events onboard. So if you haven't visited the ship, go! It's a great experience.

Colin

TCC

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 04:27:11 pm »

Hi all
I'm not having any issues ordering, and I think they'll be around as long as there's a gov.t in parliment.

I was just curious whom 'owns' them... who pays the bills, etc, as I think they'll be a bit quirky like the MET office (the weather people, not the london police) as you think they're BBC weather people when in fact, I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying the weather forecasters on the BBC (BBC alone?) are in fact MOD employees.

So I was curious to know which branch of Gov.t picks up the tab for the IWM.

It's one of those things you didn't know you didn't know the answer to. I've looked on their site but it just gives how it was originally set-up.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 06:40:36 pm »

TCC,
OR
Imperial War Museum?

Bob

It's actually the "Ipswitch Womens (sufferance) Movement" or IWM for short. The 'S' of the 'sufference' is downplayed nowadays since they got the vote, and have in most areas, far superior rights than men, and thus they no longer 'suffer'.

Ah... (sound of a penny dropping) no wonder my photos of LION are taking a long time.  :o

Talking of acronyms, we should thank the lord that the powers that be didn't name the St Helens Technology Campus, the St Helens Institute of Technology.

Fancy having that on the old CV!  ;)
Perhaps all this began with the proposal (by our City Fathers) to re-name Newcastle University the "City University of Newcastle on Tyne".
Notes from a simple seaman
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 22 queries.