Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Virus - Antivirus2009  (Read 2670 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Virus - Antivirus2009
« on: January 19, 2009, 09:07:08 pm »

Anyone had any any experiance of this pain-in-the-ass Antivirus2009 walware?

I've cleared a friends PC but it still pops up every time she uses Internet Explorer.
I've installed FireFox as a get around but how do I fix the pop-up's in IE?
(I think it's to do with about:blank)

Martin
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Virus - Antivirus2009
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 09:09:38 pm »

Martin,
If it is the one I know about, Google it and there is a removal tool.
OR
Complete reinstall.
If it is the one that keeps popping up asking you to buy it.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 09:40:59 pm »

Yes the one with the buy it now pop-up.  >:-o
I've run this removal tool:  http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5178
I've deleted all the files and cleaned the registry but it looks like something IE has been changed....  {:-{

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Capt Podge

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 09:56:44 pm »

Hi Martin,

Yep, I had that one on my laptop, tried downloading various antivirus programmes to deal with it but the malware kept blocking all attempts.
Finally had to take my machine to the "tech-bods" at work and they couldn't get rid of it either ! Only solution was, as has already been suggested, a complete re-install.

I'm now using McAfee anti-virus software and keeping it up-to-date.  I've also put a full block on pop-ups - just in case.

Been ok so far.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 12:03:54 pm »

Martin,

I had one of those as well, my solution was to go to the site and get there email,
then sent them an email stating I would sue them and also take out a court injunction
on there business, they sent me a small program which wiped out all the rubbish and
also a rather nice apology.............

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 12:26:14 pm »

You don't happen to still have that little program do you?

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 12:33:43 pm »

My favoured pop-up blocker is "No-Ads" which selectively blocks just what it is told to block.  However, this one looks like it is serious malware, and blocking the pop-up might be just papering over a potentially very serious problem.  You just don't know what else it is doing, even if the company's own removal program has possibly removed all the visible components.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 12:47:51 pm »

Martin,

Sorry mate used it and then got rid of it as it was selective.........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 01:02:03 pm »

This thing popped up this morning and AVG grabbed it and removed it and any associated bit's and quarentened it ,
i have since run a full check up and all is clear .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 01:32:43 pm »

Daily Mail Today

A computer virus that may leave Windows users vulnerable to digital hijacking is spreading through companies across the world.

It has already infected close to nine million machines, according to an online security company.

Finland-based firm F-Secure said the ‘worm’ has surged more rapidly through corporate networks than anything they have seen in years.
computer

The programme spreads through low security networks, memory sticks and PCs without the latest security updates.

F-Secure's chief security adviser, Patrik Runald, said the virus's coding suggests a type of bug that alerts computer users to bogus infections on their machines and offers to help by selling them anti-virus software.

At the moment the virus is simply spreading to little effect, though it may still pose a threat to infected computers.

'The gang behind this worm haven't used it yet,' F-Secure's chief research officer, Nikko Hypponen said.

'But they could do anything they like with any of these machines at any time.'

Microsoft issued a security update to deal with the virus. 'Over the last couple of weeks, a new variant of this worm has been affecting customers,' the company acknowledged in a blog post.

Microsoft said the virus is spreading by gaining access to one computer and then guessing at passwords of other users in the same network: 'If the password is weak, it may succeed.'

A company representative couldn't immediately be reached to comment on F-Secure's estimate of infected machines.

Most computers with Windows will automatically download Microsoft's security update, but Hypponen said the virus disables updates on infected machines.

While the origin of the virus is a mystery, F-Secure's best guess is it came from Ukraine.

Hypponen said it is coded to avoid computers there, which may indicate whoever wrote the virus was trying to avoid drawing attention from local authorities.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.