Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Modelzone  (Read 4462 times)

das boot

Modelzone
« on: January 20, 2009, 08:10:04 am »

Popped into Modelzone in Eastbourne yesterday, got chatting to Alan and he tells me that ModelZone will be changing from a model shop into a toy shop very soon now...orders from Head Office.   >:-o

Another model shop bites the dust.... :((

Rich

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
Re: Modelzone
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 10:22:45 am »

Oh b****er, there goes my local shop.  :((
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

TCC

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 12:03:36 pm »

I was fairly certain of this trend, though people have denied it to me. It's similar to that line in the film, 'follow the money'. I.e. if a shop owner isn't making enough on some products, he'll move on to something that will.

It's a shame but as my family tell me, no kids want to sit there and make models in this day and age. I once bought my lad a card viking ship when he was young.. a very simple thing. We you can guess who ended up making it for him!

But he DID used to like playing with batteries, LEDS, bulbs and motors... so I got him my old meccano boxes [4 brothers worth, it was all pased down to me, the youngest as each grew out of it.] and give them him. I don't think they where ever opened past that first inspection.

It's just a different outlook today

das boot

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 12:42:00 pm »

It is a shame, there is another model shop in Eastbourne, but he deals mainly in model railways, he does have a good stock of plastic kits (boats included), and keeps good stocks of brass wire and tube, alloy tubes and rods, and Plastruct...but he will not haggle over a discount for cash!  >>:-(

Oh well, looks as if all my model shopping will be done online from now on.

ModelZone...RIP.

Rich

tony52

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 12:51:48 pm »

Rich,

Will this affect all Modelzone shops, as I sometimes use the one in Manchester (One of the last Model Shops in the Manchester Area).
Looks like more on-line shopping in the future.

Regards, Tony.

das boot

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 12:56:22 pm »

As far as I know Tony...yes. I think that going by what Alan was saying that those shops that have a good turnover of 'proper' modelling items will stay that way, although they will be stocking in the way of 'toys'...those that can't make a profit on selling 'proper' modelling stock will go to being a 100% toy shop.

Who was who said that computers wouldn't last?

Rich

tony52

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 02:22:29 pm »

Rich,

If my memory serves me right, some time ago someone once said,  "Every garage will have a computor, stored in it within 1 year". This was when computers first hit the high street.
How wrong he/she was. The first thing computors did was wipe out whole 'typing pools', and then they made them communicate with one another.
Since then!

Tony.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 02:28:41 pm »

If we are talking about PCs, then yes. Many people have a PC in the garage.

I even have a 286 somewhere. Probably in my brother garage back in UK. I have also thrown a 486 and a Pentum 3 out for the bin.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

catengineman

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 02:52:24 pm »

I have a model shop in Gorleston and there was another in Gt yarmouth but sadly the Gt Yarmouth shop is no more.
Im glad the one in Gorleston is doing OK or it would be my modeling time ending as no where to browse

I do shop on line but that is just not the same.

R,

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 02:57:04 pm »

Personal opinion.

The model businesses with the strongest future have both a shop and an on line selling end.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Bee

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 08:17:07 pm »

It does surprise me that so many shops, knowing the situation, don't have at least some web presence now. At least a list of parts, prices and a phone/email. It doesn't have to be a fancy interactive sales site. Maybe anyone who is still lucky enough to have a local shop could make some suggestions before it is too late.

wrt computers I recall most people saying they were pointless and asking why on earth anyone would want one at home.

das boot

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 08:38:24 pm »

I do shop on line but that is just not the same.

R,

I agree totally Richard, it's nice to go into a shop, compare different items by different manufacturers before getting the wallet out. You can't get the same comparisions online as you can in your hand.

Rich

Stavros

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 10:15:37 pm »

Funny thing this but I was in the Modelzone shop in the Thurrock shopping centre in Essex(OK I get around) on Sat evening and I was quite shocked to see that it was predominantly a toy shop and I thought it was funny,this now explains it

Stavros

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 10:26:56 pm »

It is a shame, there is another model shop in Eastbourne, but he deals mainly in model railways, he does have a good stock of plastic kits (boats included), and keeps good stocks of brass wire and tube, alloy tubes and rods, and Plastruct...but he will not haggle over a discount for cash!  >>:-(

Oh well, looks as if all my model shopping will be done online from now on.

ModelZone...RIP.

Rich

He can have his arm twisted. One of my music students is an avid model railway fan, and I've helped him design and build his layout (now installing street lights!). Faced with a potential big order and mutterings of 'on line' etc, the owner agreed a competitive price. He's got to be in a good mood though! We'd prefer to use him for all the stuff in the layout, but not if he's way too pricey or just says "Can't get that."

Nothing in there for boaters, other than paints, some plastic and balsa, and a few tools etc.
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

chingdevil

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 10:39:33 pm »

Stav
Modelzone in Lakeside has always been like that, whenever I have been in there you get a selection of Humbrol, Tamiya and Revell paints with some adhesives and brushes. If you were lucky you might be able to find the plastic card.

Brian

bobdoc

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 09:46:48 pm »

I visit London on business every 2 months or so - and visit Modelzone in Holburn most times. I buy occasional filler or glue but nothing else - really "just" a toy shop: they don't even stock a full complement of paints - lots of empty slots when I visit

Mail order rocks - should we encourage those suppliers  to preserve our hobby ... but it is/was nice to "handle before buying"

Bobdoc

Philipsparker

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 02:43:44 pm »

Modellers have killed off model shops by only using them for the little items while chasing lower prices by mail order or online. Railway modellers are the worst for this. If they can save a couple of quid (often no more) they'll buy a locomotive mail order. Then when it doesn't work complain like mad as the box-shifter won't take it back or if he does then the process takes forever. The local guy with overheads like a shop can't compete with a big outfit working from a warehouse. Of course he is first point of call to try and get the model fixed...

However, I'm not suprised ModelZone aren't stocking boat kits. How fast do they turn over compared with toys and diecasts ? You can have thousands of pounds sat in stock that never sells on the offchance that a boat modeller will come in and fancy a Billings kit. Also, how many towns actually have a toy shop nowadays ? The last one near me was Wollies and now we have nothing.

Phil

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 03:22:11 pm »

Isn't Modelzone a toy shop already?

Honestly there isn't much for the model boater in any model shop these days, if there ever was. The trade must be very small, most people seem to want to buy a cheap RTR helicopter or car, so any sensible business will cater to that.

For extruded brass and aluminium stock, I find the local DIY store (take your pick) has a wider selection than my local model shop.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2009, 03:23:30 pm »

Reading all these rather depressing posts make me so grateful that we have such a good model shop in North Shields. OK, they also sell stuff that can be classed as toys plus jig-saws and so on, but perhaps that side of the trade is needed to keep going. The variety available has certainly not diminished the more serious model stock. Railways, planes, boat kits, serious tools (lathes etc) and raw materials. Plus a very helpful and knowledgeable staff of 5. Long may it continue! BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2009, 04:28:13 pm »

hi there

There are 2 'Model-Zone's shops' in the North East England UK; one in Newcastle upon Tyne City Centre and one at
Metro Centre Gateshead.  Apparently, the branch in the Metro Centre, only deal with certain manufacturers - i.e. Tamiya,
Revell & Hornby - I think you can purchase Tamiya/Revell paints and that is it as well as their kits.  Anything to do with Airfix
though or Humbrol is taboo - and yet they sell Hornby Railways.    Strange that.

No sign of any Plasticard there yet, balsa wood - yes; but I am sure that is it - no plywoods or anything.

Hobbycraft is also at Team Valley Trading Estate, Gateshead - but I am sure that again is limited for the true modeller.

[ I'm own opinion, I've been to some shops, not those mentioned here] and  wouldn't buy any I.C. stuff from them - or
their petrol cars [ and some shops ] have a poor reputation and then [ real ] model shops  have had to put many an I.C.
models right - and correct the mistakes of  inexperienced salesmen of [ other ] shops.    Aye.....er on caution.

I am lucky because there is a small model shop which is just up the road - at Whitburn - they deal mainly with IC planes
and cars, but, they are slowly stocking up with marine stuff etc.   The other thing is he is pretty knowledgeable on the
brushless motor setups - he has a few in stock too, which, I am presently 'INVESTIGATING'  :-)) shall we say.

aye
john e
bluebird
[ Post amended with John's cooperation. - Martin - Admin ]
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.