Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sealing liteply.  (Read 3302 times)

zetec

• Full Mayhemer
Sealing liteply.
« on: September 23, 2006, 07:19:21 pm »

I'm new to wooden hull construction. I'm building a police launch from liteply. Should I seal the wood with anything as I go along? I'm getting to the point were I will be covering the bottom and sides and wont be able to varnish (?) some areas if I dont now. I'm using superglue if that makes any difference.

Cheers.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Sealing liteply.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 09:02:51 pm »

Zetec

Ideally you shouldn't need to seal the inside as your hull will be waterproof when its finished won't it :)

However, the world is far from ideal and model boats are no different. Give the inaccessible surfaces a coat of varnish (make sure its waterproof as some aren't) or sanding sealer as it will do no harm and stop water absorption should you get a leak. Be sure to leave the edges you are going to glue free from sealent.

Happy building
Don't Assume Check

croakle

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 07:35:01 am »

Zetec

Good advice from Dougal.  Also be careful about the choice of sanding sealer; if it's shelac based it's definately not waterproof.

Best wishes

Julian

CAD2

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 09:38:11 am »

Zetec
The best stuff is undoubtedly a coating resin (epoxy or polyester) but a good, cheap substitute is thinned polyurethane varnish. It should be thin enough to soak into the liteply and set hard. A couple of coats will suffice.
CAD2

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 01:46:17 pm »

And if the interior is at all visible coat the resin with what ever colour that matches, it is not absolutely necessary to waterproof the inside, but for peace of mind it is really worth the effort, it is unbelievable where water will get in, better to be sure than sorry...

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.