Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What have I done...?  (Read 4171 times)

das boot

What have I done...?
« on: January 20, 2009, 05:07:22 pm »

Much against the g/friends advice and wishes ( ;D) I've just bought myself an electric powered outrigger hydro...

Stand by for a barrage of questions... :D

Rich

(could be the EX-g/friend when she finds out....)

andyn

Re: What have I done...?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 05:11:56 pm »

Scrap the electricity and get some IC power in there, all questions answered ;)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 05:18:21 pm »

Don't listen to him Rich!
Buy a shed load of LiPo batteries and put in a Gold plated Brushless motor and set the water on fire!  O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

das boot

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 05:36:44 pm »

Whoa...steady men, steady!

I can't use ic power on our lake, the council don't allow it, I can at Princes Park Lake, but not at the one where we go now.

The boat is set up with a leccie motor in it, I just have to buy (not MORE expense  :embarrassed:) a 12 cell battery pack and a pair of brown trousers..

Questions? Oh yes, there will be loads of questions coming, mainly entitled "HELP ME......"!! 

Rich (not any longer I'm not.... %))

andyn

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 05:43:43 pm »

Talk to me nicely and I might sell you a pair of 11.1v 1500mah li-po's, if theyre suitable for it :-)

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 05:50:44 pm »

Hi Andy. I would like to try out one of your lipo cells in the bat boat. ( Just to see)
There are still lake where IC is alive and well.  I have seen some very fast electric hydros on you tube. I bet my 26cc Zen Hydro will still be going when your Lipo's have dumped. Oh yes Do Handel your cells with the up most care. They make very good fireworks if you get it wrong.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Euan Galloway

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 05:59:47 pm »

Rich
                I think you made the right choice,i may be a little biased ,i hope to get it posted on Thursday.I will be listing a suitable esc and 4s lipo soon,
                                   cheers Euan.

das boot

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 06:19:01 pm »

Thanks Euan....g/friend will go barmy, but what the fheck! I'm looking forward to playing with the boat, it's gonna be totally different from a submarine, been years since I drove anything like this.

Thanks again Euan..

Rich

das boot

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 06:20:35 pm »

Talk to me nicely and I might sell you a pair of 11.1v 1500mah li-po's, if theyre suitable for it :-)

What the hell is he on about? You mean I can't use a couple of Exide torch batteries in it?

Rich

catengineman

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 06:25:17 pm »

U33 PM sent  :embarrassed:

das boot

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 06:51:57 pm »

Got it Richard, and replied.

OK guys...first question coming right up. (the first of many.... %) ) What's a good radio to drive this beast? I guess a two channel will be fine? Are those trigger types any good, the ones that the car boys use? I've just seen some good deals on some of those.

Rich

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 07:08:17 pm »

Radio!!!!! You have started something now! {-) {-) {-) {-)
You can use 27MHz AM/FM. 40MHz AM/FM. or 2.4Ghz.
I would go for a mid price 40MHz FM 2/3 channel set up to start with. There are loads of Freq that can be used. Go to your local club and find out which ones are not used much, them when you buy your radio get the dealer to put in the crystals you need. Futaba, Sanwa, Hi tec all make good sets. Try ebay. If you want to spend a bit more money Try out a Futaba 2.4Ghz set up. Then there is No probs with others being on the same Freq as you. There is also the Spectrum 2.4 Ghz which I think sales for around £70.00. Check out on Mayhem there is LOADS & LOADS of stuff on 2.4 set up.
I hope this helps?
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

das boot

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 07:24:15 pm »

Thanks Bill...my 40mhz set is in use in a sub at the moment, it's a pain in the ass to keep swapping radios over, so I'll get me another one. I only need a tx and rx, Euan has left me a servo hooked up to the rudder, and I'm about to email the mighty Dave@ActionMan for a quote on an esc (more expense...oh my gawd!) so it's just a combo I'm after. Can't afford a 2.4gig one, that's out of the running before I start, so I'm thinking a 40mhz 2 or 3 channel combo. Howes have some good deals on those at the moment, well less than £40, so I think that's the way for me.

Next question (told you there would be loads..) Where can I go see some of these beasts in action? Anywhere in the Southern half of the country?

Rich

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 08:37:02 pm »

We Meet In Fairlands Valley Stevenage on Sunday 9/12. Loads of room to run your boat here.
There is a link to SMB club web site here somewhere.
It's in the "Club Link " section.

das boot

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 08:41:27 pm »

Stevenage? That's 'oop Norf to me! Stevenage..err..Hertfordshire somewhere? I must get me map out... ;)

Rich

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 08:45:44 pm »

Ive been thinking. If you already have a 40MHz Futaba set up, All you need is a receiver unit. I got one (new) from Hong Kong for less then £20.00

omra85

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 08:59:09 pm »

Hi Rich
Hove have a club but it's salt water, Cygnets is at Mote Park, Maidstone, Ace club are near Slough off the M25.
If you want to shop nearer home, Howes do a cheap 40MHz receiver called Cirrus which they say works with Futaba.

We'll tell you all the joys of IC when your batteries run flat  %) {-) {-)
Danny

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 09:02:20 pm »

Found this on ebay Item number: 270332655019
I have one of these RX units and it work just fine and It cost less then £5.00 +P&P.
Im off for a Beer now. Good luck. :-))

das boot

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 09:08:16 pm »

I'm hoping Eastbourne Model Power Boat Club are still going, surface boats are OK in salt water, but I wouldn't run a sub down there. Failing that it'll be back to running the rigger on the local reservoir...many years ago I was thrown off of the ressie when running my first ever quick boat, a Trident 20/40 rigger..it's a long story!

I don't know how much water these things need to turn in, the old Trident wanted the best part of Arlington Reservoir to get round, but this one should be much better, plus it has a decent throttle, something the old one didn't...another long story!

As for radios, I've bought the w/cooled esc from Euan with the boat, so that's one bit less to buy...I do fancy one of those trigger type handsets, might be a bit better for me poor arthritic fingers to get a grip on. I feel a trip to SMC(Worthing) coming on...

What have I gone and done.... :embarrassed:

Rich

das boot

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 09:09:00 pm »

Found this on ebay Item number: 270332655019
I have one of these RX units and it work just fine and It cost less then £5.00 +P&P.
Im off for a Beer now. Good luck. :-))

Thanks Bill, on me way to ebay!

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.