Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Revell Smit Houston  (Read 5917 times)

andyn

Revell Smit Houston
« on: January 20, 2009, 05:31:13 pm »

My first tug :-) Ironically also the words first aquaplaning tug...

Props and shafts thanks to a kind donation by Steamboat Phil

chingdevil

Re: Revell Smit Houston
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 06:30:55 pm »

Should there not be an "A" bracket supporting the end of the prop shaft, with that much sticking out I would have thought it would move around when running giving a lot of vibration.

Brian

andyn

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 09:39:28 pm »

I thought it would but apparently not. Theyre not the kit shafts obviously as it's meant to be a static model but it has been absolutely fine. The hull is in very thick plastic and has plenty of epoxy securing the shafts in so they don't move.

Next thing I need is some silicon grease as at the moment the shafts and rudders leak like a sieve because as it turns out Tamiya grease breaks down in water...

sentry

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 09:50:52 pm »

Great looking boat Andy hope my first build looks as good am doing the m.m.m Canning seeing nice  boat like this gives you the heart to carry on and with all the great help you get from the lads on here  how can we fail.

TorViking

• Shipmate
  • The Tug Man
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 03:34:11 pm »

Hi Andy,
Chingdevil is right I'm afraid.Smit Houston had a an "L" bracket on each shaft, the bottom strut was attatched to the keel and the vertical bracket was attatched to the mounting you can just see above the prop in you're last picture.She also had twin fixed Kort Knozzles.If you wanted to replace these the ones on Robbe's Happy Hunter are exactly the right pattern though you would of course have to check scale/size to see if they fit.

Regards

Andy.

TorViking

• Shipmate
  • The Tug Man
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 03:39:21 pm »

I need to get my glasses on! Didn't realize it was the Revell Kit Andy,the Robbe bits would be way too big.However have a look at them just so that you see what I am talking about the if you wish you may be able to scratch build them.

Andy. :D

andyn

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 04:50:17 pm »

The kit nozzles were 2mm diameter too small for the smallest props I could find, and the L struts don't fit on the shafts so it has to do without ok2

andyn

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 03:00:46 pm »

Finally got some silicon grease for the shafts and rudders so will be back in action tomorrow (weather permitting)

Just a little teaser for you all, you'll need speakers.

Is a motor test, you probably cant see it but it moves on the shelf...

Lindsey

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 04:14:13 am »

Hi Andy:
I emailed "Steamboat" Phil in regards to the rudder setup on the 200:1 Smit Houston. I haven't heard back from him as yet but hoping for some photos of the connecting rods from the servo to the rudders.
Did the silicone grease stop your water leaks in the motor shaft and rudder tubes?
Cheers,
Lindsey.

andyn

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 12:06:03 pm »

Phil will probably take some time replying, he's a very busy man...

The silicon grease did stop the water ingress from the rudder tubes and shafts, I still did get the odd dribble going through the top of the back deck in high winds.

You can just about see them here:

Cklasse

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 04:10:21 pm »

I am going to build my Revell ETV Waker after I complete my Airfix Severn.
Unfortunately, my Revell ETV Waker suffered a broken prop during shipping from UK to Singapore and now I am settled with an unusable prop. Where can I get prop of the right scale online? I made a trip to my local hobby shop but they sell only big props meant for racing boat.

Another question; does a small boat at 1/200 scale like the ETV Waker need a bow thruster? Does it make the boat more precise in movement or the rear prop and rudder will do?

andyn

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 06:19:00 pm »

You would never, ever, ever fit a bow thruster in there, not in a million years...

I didn't use the kit props, I used a pair of 20mm 3 blade brass props very kindly sent to me by SteamboatPhil.

I would advise using one of ACTion electronics' micro mixers for steering, I was going to use one but funds didn't allow at the time. It steers reasonably well anyway on the kit rudders but it won't spin etc.

Cklasse

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 02:08:22 am »

Hi Andyn, when you said never ever fit a bow thruster, are you refering to it is not necessary or the boat is too small to fit one.

I have a little 5" long submarine that has a right angle setup to drive a little prop (it looks like a little bow thruster) so that the sub can dive and surface vertically. I am thinking that if having a bow thruster helps in moving the tug, I will sacrifice the sub for the ETV Waker.

You would never, ever, ever fit a bow thruster in there, not in a million years...

I didn't use the kit props, I used a pair of 20mm 3 blade brass props very kindly sent to me by SteamboatPhil.

I would advise using one of ACTion electronics' micro mixers for steering, I was going to use one but funds didn't allow at the time. It steers reasonably well anyway on the kit rudders but it won't spin etc.

andyn

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 12:44:07 pm »

The distance between the sides at the front of the hull is about a centimetre max, hence why you wouldn't fit one in :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 22 queries.