Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi all, what I've done, what I plan  (Read 4865 times)

Mark47

Hi all, what I've done, what I plan
« on: January 20, 2009, 09:00:23 pm »

Hi all,

Don't know if this is the correct forum to put this? Move if it's needed.
 I just wanted to say hello and give a history. I built models 18 years ago [not near the standard here]. HMS Leander (1/96), Ruby & Arthur Reed II (RNLI Tyne class 1/20).
I have HMS Cornwall Type 22 Batch 3 (1/96) half constructed. A type 42 batch 3 destroyer hull 1/72 hull (have not decided which one yet). A Leander 1/72 hull ready to build. As you can tell I'm a warship fan. Love the hull lines.
 Anyway I have decided to get back into the hobby now that my boy is 2, I would like to build something to sail with his RTR speed boat. With that in mind I plan to sail in Loch Lomand [local sailing point, without driving 35-110 minutes for suitable ponds].
 I have decided to construct a Tyne Class Life boat to handle the conditions of the water, 47-006 David Metcalf plans with a vac formed hull. (Money tight as I've just been paid off).

I plan to make it stand off class, because it will be the first model I will give him. When he is ready (clumsy hands/at a young age). It will have to endure waves up to 18" high on a normal day and a little more if a private cruiser/speed boat passes.

Anyway I have a couple of questions.

How did you construct your stanchions? How did you construct & attach the toe plates? (Need to be able to take a dunking and self righting).

Has anyone made a water tight model in this scale?

How did you do it?

Where & how did you place/arrange the ballast?

Can anyone post photos of this boat/class?

Fantastic models on show here. Hope you can help.

Mark

nhp651

Re: Hi all, what I've done, what I plan
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 09:37:46 pm »

hi, first , there is an abs tyne lifeboat hull on ebay at moment. item no.130282228331,
secondlly have a look on utube under search Frankwildcat videos at his model of the self righting model of the Interceptor 42' pilot boat.
i built the model.
it was heavy and did as it was supposed to do for him to show off his boats that he builds, but as a model for "playing" with, was totally useless, as you would never ever  imitate the circumstances where the model would capsize.
the video was shot outside Cork harbour in force 7 - 8 gales and still it wouldn't capsize, so basically for a modeller in a pond, or even L Lomond a total waste of energy and time/ effort
Neil.

Capt Podge

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 11:10:39 pm »

Hi Mark,
On your list I see you have a hull for a Leander 1/72

1. Is it scratch built ?

2. Is it a broadbeam version ?

3. Do you still have the plans for it or where you sourced them ?

4. What is the overall length of this hull ?

Reason for the questions: I'm hoping to build a Broadbeam Leander Class in the not-too-distant future - probably HMS Ariadne - at 1/72

........oh, and welcome aboard !

dan

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 07:33:05 am »

hi mark,
firstly welcome to the forum, secondly i think it might be easier to buy the stanchions, i had a go at making my own once, and it went horribly wrong  :embarrassed: you can get them in most model shops and there not too expensive. hope this is a little bit of a help

nhp651

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 08:33:37 am »

hi, Mark
we all seem to be doom and gloom to you......don't build a self righter......buy stanchions and not make them.
just read back and we seem to be trying to put you off the build.
I don't think that was anyones intention....just giving past experience to make your re visit to model boat building a little more pleasureable.
As dan the man says stanchions can be tricky especially at the smaller size of 1:20, but if you do want to have a go, instead of using brass and solder try using the plas stuct tubing that you find in the model shop display box to start with. the tubing goes down to a small size.......but if mopney is tight.......use the plastic "straw" which is hollow from the cotton bud sticks that ladies use to put on their "slap" before a night out..........they work just swell for stanchions, so long as you drill with a fine drill through the centre of the stick for the rail.
hope that helps. neil.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 08:57:17 am »

Hi Mark,

My HMS Dreadnought will be patrolling the waters of Loch Lomond, all going well, at some point later this year/early next. That said, I won't be taking on any 18" waves. Or as I prefer to call them, 108' waves.  :o That's on the verge of hard work for dinghies, let alone models with no-self-righting and only a couple of inches of freeboard.

Good to see 1/72nd and grey has a few aficionados up here!

Best wishes,

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Mark47

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 09:58:43 am »

hi, first , there is an abs tyne lifeboat hull on ebay at moment. item no.130282228331,
secondlly have a look on utube under search Frankwildcat videos at his model of the self righting model of the Interceptor 42' pilot boat.
i built the model.
it was heavy and did as it was supposed to do for him to show off his boats that he builds, but as a model for "playing" with, was totally useless, as you would never ever  imitate the circumstances where the model would capsize.
the video was shot outside Cork harbour in force 7 - 8 gales and still it wouldn't capsize, so basically for a modeller in a pond, or even L Lomond a total waste of energy and time/ effort
Neil.

Thanks for the E-bay link. I've added it to my watch list. :-))

Mark

Mark47

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 10:30:20 am »

Hi Mark,
On your list I see you have a hull for a Leander 1/72

1. Is it scratch built ?

2. Is it a broadbeam version ?

3. Do you still have the plans for it or where you sourced them ?

4. What is the overall length of this hull ?

Reason for the questions: I'm hoping to build a Broadbeam Leander Class in the not-too-distant future - probably HMS Ariadne - at 1/72

........oh, and welcome aboard !

The hull was bought from a member of Glasgow Richmond model boat club. £140 6 or 7 years ago. If I remember right it's a narrow beam. At this scale there is not much difference in width, just a few millimetres.

For the life of me I can't remember his name, this was his contact number at the time 07779 753851 Glasgow. He has moulds for Leander class, Type 21 & 22s Don't know where you stay? I may consider letting my hull go for £120-£130 plus postage. Top end preferred. This would fund a 1:12 scale lifeboat hull

The hull was built from Jecobin plans. I've not got around to sourcing a set at this scale yet.

The overall length is 62" x 6 3/4".

Mark

Mark47

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 10:31:34 am »

Brass stanchions here.

http://quantrum.co.uk/redbankmodels/bscale-ship-fittings-stanchions-c-61_68_145.html

Thanks for that link. I googled stantchions yesterday and this shop never came up.

Mark

Mark47

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 10:34:21 am »

Hi Mark,

My HMS Dreadnought will be patrolling the waters of Loch Lomond, all going well, at some point later this year/early next. That said, I won't be taking on any 18" waves. Or as I prefer to call them, 108' waves.  :o That's on the verge of hard work for dinghies, let alone models with no-self-righting and only a couple of inches of freeboard.

Good to see 1/72nd and grey has a few aficionados up here!

Best wishes,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Where do you live? I'm in Alexandria.

Mark

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 10:47:49 am »

I'm in Airdrie, Mark. I work in Glasgow at one of the universities - which fortunately owns Ross Priory on the south shore of Loch Lomond, making it good for dinghy sailing and (no bad thing) quiet for when it comes to my initial "trials". (Don't want any HSF spies lurking while those go on!)  :-))

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Mark47

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 11:43:57 am »

I'm in Airdrie, Mark. I work in Glasgow at one of the universities - which fortunately owns Ross Priory on the south shore of Loch Lomond, making it good for dinghy sailing and (no bad thing) quiet for when it comes to my initial "trials". (Don't want any HSF spies lurking while those go on!)  :-))

Andy

I'm surprised your not a member of Richmond boat club, (if there still going). They meet in Glasgow Green on Wednesday and Sundays 1-5pm. They used to have loads of grey boats. That's where I got hooked on greys. The only thing I found wrong with it was the pond weed in the summer, ice in the winter. Thats why I built a Tyne. Cut down on the weed in the summer because of the skid rails and in the winter I would crash onto the ice, skid along and re-enter the water. That was great fun! :}

Mark

Capt Podge

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 10:24:10 pm »

Hey Mark,

You should receive a PM from me next time u online - a Big thank you for the quick response.
 :-))

Mark47

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 04:32:57 pm »

Hey Mark,

You should receive a PM from me next time u online - a Big thank you for the quick response.
 :-))

Not got it yet. Send me an e-mail I'll activate it tonight.

Mark

Capt Podge

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 12:10:10 am »

Sorry Mark, your e-mail address is shown as hidden in your profile.

Mark47

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 01:07:59 am »

Sorry Mark, your e-mail address is shown as hidden in your profile.

***email address removed by request of Mark47***

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.