Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: hi all just joined looking for some help  (Read 7350 times)

andyn

Re: hi all just joined looking for some help
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2009, 01:06:19 pm »

Enya's are superb engines, I have an Enya 15 Aero engine. Lost a bit of compression due to age, but then again so has Phil ;) {-)

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2009, 02:59:33 pm »

Nothing wrong with my compression, its my flywheel thats gone wobbly   :embarrassed:
Steamed up all the time

andyn

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2009, 03:04:35 pm »

Mum says she hopes your piston's functioning correctly {-)

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2009, 03:20:13 pm »

You can tell her my big ends still looking good though  :}
Steamed up all the time

andyn

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2009, 05:40:50 pm »

Don't overdo the revs or your big end will blow O0

gwa84

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2009, 07:26:56 pm »

{-) you lot crack me up {-)  :-))

gwa84

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2009, 09:33:00 pm »

hi all got the hull yesterday been inspecting it over and found a few things that need sorting as i already new this thing had been repainted god knows haw menny time lol so that will all have to be taken back the top section of the hull has been sanded dawn so many times it has become very thin so will need reinforcing with fibreglass cloth and resin

i will also need to remove and replace the water pick up and do a proper job of repairing an  Exhausts hole at the rear
their has also been a bulkhead installed using a bit of wood and tones of filler lol which considerably adds to the weight of the hull so that will be removed also

and i will have to make a top engine bay cover for it

naw a few questions

what's the best engine mount for an enya 15 and if possible douse anybody have a link to an on-line shop for it please

and would it be possible to have a rudder on the back of the boat rather then fitting throw the bottom of the hull
if so which one would be best

also could i have a rear output prop and shaft on this hull serfice drive and agen what's best if i can and wher to get the parts from

thanks for all your help so far ime relay enjoying this project and your help is making it possible

andyn

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2009, 10:34:35 pm »

I'll give Bill a shout and get him to post you some pics of the inside of our Z class.

Basically for the mounts you need 4 pieces of right angle aluminium 3-4 inches long, 2 pieces attached the engine itself, rubber mounts between the vertical face of the engine pieces and the hull pieces, the horizontal faces are bolted to mounting feet which are epoxied into the hull.

omra85

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2009, 10:49:21 pm »

Hi Gwa
Well you certainly like a challenge ...  :-))
The easiest engine mount is a flat ally plate screwed to wooden blocks glassed into the hull - but this is also the noisiest so is not a good idea!
You can get rubber/ally mounts from either Prestwich or
http://modelmarinesupplies.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=398

For a slow revving engine, you would do well to stay with submerged drive although a surface drive may get you a bit more mph but will be (slightly) harder to set up properly.  As you probably won't be racing you can even use plastic props on the submerged drive.  If you use a solid shaft, you will need a rubber coupling "RC6" (another alternative supplier) -
http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/hdwrrubbersetc.htm

The transom mounted rudder will leave more room in the hull for a seperate radio box and a decent sized tank (although you will probably only use about a pint an hour). This might do the job
http://modelmarinesupplies.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=211
make sure you strengthen the transom inside!

There are also other suppliers both on Mayhem and the OMRA site http://www.omra-uk.org/links.html

Hope that's enough to get you worried started   %) {-)

Danny

Andy posted while I was typing (interesting that we both picked the same mount for you ... )

gwa84

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2009, 11:27:59 pm »

col thanks for all the info ide love to see that z class would that be this boats category if i raced it

those rubber coupling's one end is  square as i can see and the other i presume is  threaded  with a grub screw haw would you fit that to the prop shaft and engine shaft or is their a converter needed for the engine shaft to the  square coupling

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2009, 09:34:02 am »

Here you go mate this place has all you need drop him a line and delivery is in about 5-10 days.My advice is go surface drive its easier to setup using a flex cable and faster too.They sell all the hardware and have all the props you need right there and if you email him with your items he will do you a deal on postage.
Mart
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aluminum-engine-mount-for-21-nitro-boat-engine-silver_W0QQitemZ300243221276QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_Control_Vehicles?hash=item300243221276&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2009, 01:31:07 pm »

I'll give Bill a shout and get him to post you some pics of the inside of our Z class.

Basically for the mounts you need 4 pieces of right angle aluminium 3-4 inches long, 2 pieces attached the engine itself, rubber mounts between the vertical face of the engine pieces and the hull pieces, the horizontal faces are bolted to mounting feet which are epoxied into the hull.

5 Pic's of my Z class Boat. Fingers crossed the snow and ice holds off for sunday.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

BJ

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2009, 03:06:49 pm »

been inspecting it over and found a few things that need sorting as i already new this thing had been repainted god knows haw menny time lol so that will all have to be taken back the top section of the hull has been sanded dawn so many times it has become very thin so will need reinforcing with fibreglass cloth and resin

A thought for you on rejoining the hull to the deck would be to consider using TIGER SEAL. It is a tenacious polyurethane adhesive and can be bought in a choice of colours in any Motor Accessory shop for less than £10. Also can be used to secure Battery Boxes and Fuel tanks. You can remove it with white spirit before it cures and after that point..... a chisel. Motor trade use it to secure panels etc

omra85

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2009, 07:10:01 pm »

The solid shaft you have in the hull at the moment is a 'local model shop' cheapy. It is a brass tube with phosphor bronze bearings at each end. The inner shaft is a solid rod, threaded at both ends (probably 2BA if the shaft is as old as the hull), one end screws into the ally part at one end of the rubber coupling and the prop screws onto the other end. Both are secured with locknuts.  If you go down the solid shaft route, these are still available (although now in M5 thread) and are adequate for a sports boat. The M5 props are available in both plastic and ally in a range of sizes (you will probably need an ally 1818 or 1919, or plastic X40 to start with).
You would need to buy a coupling for that particular engine/shaft combination ie. threaded M5 one end and whatever thread the crank end has (ask the supplier if you don't know).
The rubber couplings with the grub screw are used with ball-raced competition shafts which have a plain 5mm end onto which a flat is ground. The grub screw then tightens onto this.
When fitting a submerged shaft, keep the engine as low as possible, leaving enough room to get a starter belt under the flywheel, and have the tip of the prop 1 - 2mm away from the hull underneath.  The shaft you have will give some idea of prop and engine position and shaft length required.
A flexi shaft drive is NOT better, just different. It has its own problems ie strut height, shaft angle, rudder position, etc.  Most opt for the submerged drive until they get used to the model, but to be honest, if you've got THAT keen, you will probably be looking for a faster engine and a sleeker hull!
Danny

gwa84

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2009, 05:08:59 pm »

thanks for the input guys learning all the way ive ordered the engine mounts a load of clamps and some 30 Min epoxy and ive got a load of fibre glass and resin to reinforce the top section to get the hull prepared i think ill stick with a solid shaft for naw the one that's in it will need replacing as its not lined up by a long shot lol so will prob go for the more modern shaft with the flat fitting and better bushings

lots of work to be done but it all ads to the fun lol

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.