Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: RTR boat...?  (Read 10661 times)

das boot

RTR boat...?
« on: January 21, 2009, 09:49:06 am »

Anyone got/had one of these http://www.howesmodels.co.uk/RadioControl/viewProduct.php?ProdID=1836?
For £25 they are either cheapo crap or good fun (whilst waiting for the rigger cells to charge up again  %))

Rich

Photo added - Martin

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: RTR boat...?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 10:04:17 am »

I don't think thye would be too quick with 380 motor, not as quick as the hull would suggest. I would assume that is why the price has been slashed, coz they didn't sell.

Having said that, for 25 pounds you can have a lot of fun. I have seem people just put in a higher voltage battery and a big boost in performance. You could also put in better motors for not much cash.

For 25 quid, I don't think you can go wrong really. It could turn into a nice boat for a knock about, or a rescue boat.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

das boot

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 10:33:00 am »

Thanks for adding the piccie Martin...I forgot! (A classic Homer moment...Doh!!!)

TT...I guess you're right, I did wonder about the 380 motor being man enough. I wonder if it's feasible to squeeze a half decent 540 in there? As you say, could be a bit of fun at the other lake...I don't think the rigger would be welcomed there!

Rich

das boot

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 11:10:49 am »

Just read in the little flyer that Howes send out with anything you buy from them that the boat is fitted with TWO 380 motors and not one...that puts a different light on the matter. Could be one for pay day... ;)

Rich

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 11:12:19 am »

I've got a video clip of one running on the local lake if you would to see it...... not very impressive straight out of the box....  :((
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 11:13:06 am »

Hi Rich

Dont forget to do a distance check on the radio before you use it. ok2
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

das boot

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 11:30:09 am »

I've got a video clip of one running on the local lake if you would to see it...... not very impressive straight out of the box....  :((

Yes please Martin...could be interesting to see.

Hi Rich

Dont forget to do a distance check on the radio before you use it. ok2

Good thinking DickyD...the lake is only small, no more than fifty yards across from shore to island, so it SHOULD just about get that far! I haven't really decided on buying one yet, just sort of mulling things over...maybe even get one of these (minus that awful looking top bit)
(pic attached this time, Martin!) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140294057269&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004 It's just something to go play with on a Sunday afternoon when the 'rigger is off duty.

Rich

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 12:37:26 pm »

Sorry, I lied, I don't have a video clip......  :embarrassed:
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

das boot

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 12:49:52 pm »

Hmm...thanks for the piccies, Martin. It looks kind of quick with all that spray being thrown about, but as you said, it's probably not that quick. Mind you, with my reactions as they are now (old age and all that sort of thing...  :D) it's probably quick enough!

(thinks to oneself...how the hell am I going to control the 'rigger....?)

Rich

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 04:01:34 pm »

Look at the running pictures again, notice how quickly the wash has settled down behind the boat.
Compare it with.....

das boot

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 04:09:41 pm »

Ah...you want wash n' spray? I can give you wash n' spray....

Rich

andyn

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 04:11:17 pm »

they are cheapo crap

However if you gave one to me or let me tell you what to get for it, it would soon become a bit faster %)

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 04:27:35 pm »

Rich
Don't waste even £20.00 on the RTR Bud hydro. What they don't tell you if someone with a radio on 40MHz or 27MHz turns there set on which covers most boater it will not work. The ONLY way forwards with that RTR boat is to strip out the Radio/ Motors etc. Refit it with a real RC unit, Speed controller, Rudder, and a good battery.  By which time you could have got yourself a proper boat. IN Short what a pile of S**T!  Every week someone who dose not know about RC boating turns up at our lake with one of them RTR units. We always turn off all of or Rx's so they have a run. The funny thing is we never see them again. I hope I have made my point.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

das boot

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 04:40:30 pm »

Point made...taken...and observed Bill, thanks very much. I did wonder about one of them, just wanted something quick to build and use for those days when it's not 'rigger weather or I'm just going down the pond with a couple of the lads for a bit of fun boating. I guess I'll go take a sniff round good old eyab and see if I can pick up a small hull going cheap, only want something for a 540 and eight cells max.

Rich

das boot

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 04:41:50 pm »

they are cheapo crap

However if you gave one to me or let me tell you what to get for it, it would soon become a bit faster %)

Can you fit a chainsaw motor in there then Andy? %%

Rich

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 05:26:07 pm »

Andy.
Post a Pic of my Bat boat. Ta . My wife brough a RTR Bat boat home for me. I took it for a trip down to the lake ONCE. then i parked it in my Loft.  I needed a boat to do the night sail at Llanberis last year. I put a 540 motor on a gearbox in it with a 40MHz radio and rudder. At Llanberis I striped the gears?? When I got it home I took the top off the boat and fitted a 12 volt car Rad cooling fan motor with a 75mm prop on it. Now I am the 1st to admit it's not going the beak any speed records, but it runs for 45 Min's on a fully charged battery.  I get bored with it and often pass the radio on to others down the lake. It's a good boat now to learn to drive a RC.
Try this link        boat.http://picasaweb.google.com/SMBC11/StevenageModelBoatClub02?feat=directli
One of these fine days I going to get another and fit a glow plug in one just for the hell of it.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

andyn

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 05:37:33 pm »

Possibly not unfortunately, although a Rossi 21 would go well with a bit of hull strengthening :-))

Bill's modified bat boat - also on the club website ok2

das boot

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 05:54:30 pm »

Nice looking vessel...but I thought a bat boat was a strange looking thing American thing with wing like objects at the stern? Or am barking up the wrong tree...?

Rich

andyn

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 06:01:24 pm »

It is, if you look at the third photo closely you can see them, it's just that Bill's weighs a lot extra than the standard one, with a fan motor in the front and about 14 cells...

andyn

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 06:04:48 pm »

Bat Boats doing what they do best - flying...

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 06:10:07 pm »

Cheers Andy
She what I mean Rich. It's all made of junk bit out of my shed. All I paid for was the speed controller I all ready had the radio kit and cells.

das boot

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 06:43:26 pm »

Those bat things look frightening! I've had a good old sniff round on the 'net and found the MFA Piranha2, that looks like a quick and easy build to keep me on the water until the 'rigger is sorted out. What do you think of the Piranha2...any good?

Rich

(told you there'd be loads of questions...)  O0

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2009, 07:13:48 pm »

Yes Rich they are OK. Have you seen the Club 500 by model slipway?  I think all you need to complete the kit is a Radio set up and battery. Again the speed will not kill you but they are a dam fine starter boat for all ages. There is a Club 500 section here on Mayhem have a look at it. There is some good stuff on how to build it etc.http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2272.0
try this link to club 500

andyn

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2009, 07:18:47 pm »

One I have found good is the ZigZag racer by Hobbyzone, RTR BUT uses proper crystals. Barry over at Mainly Models does them for £25

Before Bill says anything mine doesn't work anymore because... well.... I kind of filled it with water by hitting a rather large submerged log. Then got even more water in it due to the rescue attempt. But we won't go into that...

Doesn't have a proper servo however, just a motor with some gearing, but appears to be perfectly functionable

das boot

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 07:23:14 pm »

Seen those Bill, thanks very much...I'd prefer fibreglass, both our ponds are concrete edged and if I'm going to hit that I'd rather do it with f/glass than styrene! And I will hit it...I rammed the wall at Princes Park once years ago with my ancient MRH/Merlotti Silak .61 at full bore, shorted the hull by an inch, shot the motor out of the mounts and chipped the concrete!
They don't build 'em like that any more!

Hopefully the 'rigger will be here at the weekend and give me something to do, but meanwhile I feel a trip to Deal coming on. It's not THAT far from Hastings landfill site, and it is council diesel after all.. O0

Rich
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.