Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Government motor insurance plan  (Read 2591 times)

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
New Government motor insurance plan
« on: January 21, 2009, 08:33:45 pm »

I've been hearing on the radio all day that our wonderful Government want to change the law on insurance for cars. Apparently, in an effort to reduce the amount of uninsured drivers on the roads, they plan to make it an offence to keep an uninsured vehicle, even if it doesn't get used. Couple of problems I can see with this being, I very much doubt those who can't be bothered to insure cars that they actually drive would bother to pay money just to park a car on their drive. Also, what would it mean for people who are say restoring an old vehicle? Would they have to pay to insure a vehicle that is in pieces in their garage and is blatenty not going to be going anywhere near a road?
 :police:
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: New Government motor insurance plan
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 08:36:02 pm »

Vehicles that are SORN'd are exempt so no real change really.
This was all over the car forums this week.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 09:11:08 am »

The answer to uninsured drivers is easy.....Here in Spain, all drivers are insured to at least 3rd party standard, even the thief. Basically it is the car that is the subject of the insurance rather than the driver. Problem solved...

Barry

nhp651

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 04:49:24 pm »

australia has had this system to incorporate 3rd party ins with rego(road tax) for donkey's years, and so has ( i think ) usa and canada, and the system works fine as footski says....the car is insured.
When ever the british government is asked about this system they say "it'd take too much money to implement" or better still........."it wouldn't work"
Typical british govwernments with their heads in the sand. >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 04:56:40 pm »

Then there are people who think that road tax should be included in the price of petrol...
So your tax and insurance could be in the price of the fuel...
All you need to then is drive off with out paying and you're a winner...... :police:

The long Build

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 06:53:07 pm »

Then there are people who think that road tax should be included in the price of petrol...
So your tax and insurance could be in the price of the fuel...
All you need to then is drive off with out paying and you're a winner...... :police:

Not sure about the insurance side but I have thought in the past that it would be a better way to pay the RFL for cars by including it within the price of petrol.  It could be based on say an average of 12k a year for a £145 tax disc.with a agreed average per gallon If you only did 12k you would be even, do more millage you pay more road tax, I would think that by doing it this way there would be huge cost savings, also the police could spend more time catching real criminals rather than looking for those who had not paid their tax.  Also all those travelling from abroad would be contributing as well , Quids in I think.

djrobbo

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 08:53:10 pm »

What about the people who only have a ride on mower......or a petrol strimmer.....er , ive got one of those........or even a petrol mower.......or a chain saw......?

wouldn't feel very good paying road tax on them eh !

or even better ...how about paying road tax to run your zenoah powered boat.?

good idea.............NOT !

just my thoughts

bob

The long Build

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 09:43:37 pm »

What about the people who only have a ride on mower......or a petrol strimmer.....er , ive got one of those........or even a petrol mower.......or a chain saw......?

wouldn't feel very good paying road tax on them eh !

or even better ...how about paying road tax to run your zenoah powered boat.?

good idea.............NOT !

just my thoughts

bob

Ah but what you have to weigh up is the potential cost savings in your overall tax by the reduced cost in taking none current rfl payers to court , as long as they passed on the benefit and invested in the road system which admittedly would be unlikely , also if the items of equipment you mentioned was used for a business I'm sure they would give some sort of way to reclaim the additional costs, and as I do not have a zenoah power boat I have no problem, it would be interesting to see how quickly people stopped using the large petrol consumption cars.

just my thoughts and not to be taken to seriously !!! :-))

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 11:51:11 pm »

If the RFL was included in the fuel cost, how long would it be before some cash-strapped chancellor thought "I bet I could tax each vehicle.  I could call it a road fund licence" ?  I would give it a one change of chancellor.
I cannot help but wonder at just what the costs of insurance would be based on.  If you shop around for third party, and give yourself a few alter egos, you will get a huge difference between quotes.  If you do not habitually get on the wrong end of claims, you are going to be lumped in with those who do, and charged accordingly with a common scheme.  I dont think it matters which lot are in - whoever you vote for, you still wind up with the government, and they are not going to shop around for value, they are going to collect revenue, and as much as they can.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 11:02:01 am »

I would imagine that any insurance would have to be third party only based on an average claim. If you wanted the comprehensive element to protect your own vehicle that would have to be paid for separately as at present. A lot of UK car policies do revert to third party only if you take your car abroad, it's one way they get the quotes down but not everyone realises it!

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.