Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: THUNDER TIGER LOBMASTER RTR  (Read 17758 times)

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
THUNDER TIGER LOBMASTER RTR
« on: January 21, 2009, 10:59:51 pm »

Doing a little shopping in Hull today and called it one of the model shops for some bit's as you do and came out with the Lobmaster R.T.R  :}.
This did not go down well with swimbo  >>:-(, but she soon mellowed when i offered to take her for dinner sunday  :-)) .
So into the shed when we arived home (with permission) and to work .
The boat comes in a colourfull box ,and on opening another box , plane but still a box and a set of instructions . These were put to one side for later and the inner box opened ,to find a boat which looked better than the picture on the box .
Out with this and the styrene packageing and another long box which contained the masts, the stand is included and the boat was laid to rest upon this .
Then all the other components were removed from various other boxes ,this is when i noticed that there is a 2ch 40mhz radio ,now thats an up grade from the usual 27mhz stuff. The rest of the stuff included ,6v 4ah battery,charger,reciever inc crystals,tape,pennant and the remainder of the servo kit screws,arms etc .
The boat is of high quaity (briliant compaired to my own eforts) and on unscrewing the two sampson posts either side the deck can be lifted off to reveal a fitted motor (540 style)shaft and prop ,speed controler and wiring ready for the rx and battery.
The masts went on easy once i had untangled them ,but they may want some elastic putting in line with the rigging as i can see the eyes on the bulwarks coming off.
Now me being me and seeing that this boat has potentioal for iluminations started looking at what i could do  :} .
Oh if your looking for photos then you will have to wait as the camera battery went flat during the conversion and i managed to get the last few before it shut it's self down ,so its on charge until morning .
 So the lights ,the ones on the boat are realy LED's but with no power and their legs cut off so i removed the numerus screws under the deck and the wheelhouse fell off , so it was off with the stern light and the two side lights which were replaced by 12v GOW bulbs and then the wheelhouse roof was removed as access from the underside to this area is none, and the navigation lights removed and replaced by small LED's bent forwards . I aldo replaced the two spot lights on the wheelhouse roof and hid the wiring the best i could by using white wire to blend in to the background , after gluing the roof back on i realised i could have fitted a light inside the wheelhouse itself ,maybe later.
I also fitted a GOW in the deck lamp forward of the wheelhouse but it looks like i have fitted a 6v one and its a bit bright , i am sure Dave can help me dim it , a switch on the folkstall hatch and she looks good (for me ).
Pictures like i said to follow ,all been well she will get a sail this weekend and some more photos .
The price £119. yes i could have bought it for less on the net but add the postage (this is a big box) and it may work out more , and i have it now .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: THUNDER TIGER LOBMASTER RTR
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 01:21:39 am »

I look forward to seeing it. 8)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 08:52:09 am »

Ok here we go .

daz

tony52

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 08:55:21 am »

When I see good quality, RTR boats such as these Thunder Tiger and Hobby Engine 'Southampton' I start to question myself as to why I spend time in a freezing shed and in the back kitchen, upsetting swmbo with smelly substances and trying to source model parts from shops that are now beginning to disappear.
The other thought on these good RTR is you can be on the water straight away, joining in the fun at the club, whilst building progresses with some other long term project.

Well Done.
Tony.

chingdevil

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 09:11:48 am »

Thats a nice looking boat, nice to hear the r/c might be getting better in them. Are you able to change crystals in the r/c or is it still set at some channel on the frequency?

Brian

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 09:17:53 am »

The radio is the propper stuff Brian ,changable xtals and the lot , the only thing is the radio takes 8 batterys loose and not a pack, also the revesing for ch 1 is hiden in the radio some where , not found it yet .
daz

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 09:38:22 am »

... the revesing for ch 1 is hiden in the radio some where , not found it yet .

Have you tried inside the battery box cover?

Nice set up for an RTR. I hope you have lots of fun with it.

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 04:19:58 pm »

Thanks Tigertiger, i have just about done so far and fitted a on/off switch under one of the hatches so i dont have to undo all the riging to remove the deck to switch on at the pond side , and it would take me longer to do than say .
just waiting for the weekend to sail her .

daz

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 10:48:56 pm »

Right today was spot on for a little sail on the pond , so this aft before the rest of the members arived i put her into the water for the first time .
She sits true and level , underway she behaves well with good rudder responce and turn of speed , a gem to sail .

daz

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 12:49:55 am »

looks good.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 10:57:34 am »

Excellent review.  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

swordfish fairey

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 02:47:14 pm »

Hi portside II, thanks for the great revue of this boat. I have been passing my local shop in Yeovil for weeks and looking at one of these,trying to decide whether to get one and you have made my mind up and I've bought it. I want to do it like a Greek fishing boat I saw in Corfu last May, it is very similar in shape and even the colour is close. I am very pleased with it, it is far better than you might expect for the money.......cheers...........mate........ :-))...... :-))....... :-)).......Smudge

bigH

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 04:45:33 pm »

:-))  I bought the same boat at the Warwick show from Howe's, members might like to know that they were reduced from £199 to £99
       A REAL bargain, I have done the same and in addition to the alterations re electrics I also removed the deck furniture and made
       openings under them so I could, if necessary, get under the deck without having to remove it for battery change etc;.
       I placed a thicker piece of ply, under the deck as it felt a little flimsyand placed two m4 brass washers over the screw posts
      that hold the deck down so as to stop the locking caps from going through the deck if overtightened.   I also placed a strip of
      Neoprene along the underneath of the edge of the deck just to ensure that if water got over the deck it wouldn't get into the hull,
      just one last thing, there are a lot of METAL screws holding down the deck furniture, replace them with brass or stainless.
      The boat is a little beauty and answers to the wheel like a dream, it is a pretty thing and attracts a lot of attention when she's on
      the water.     bigH   

Stavros

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 06:03:20 pm »

Word of warning dont sail this craft in rough weather,seen 2 of these nearly go down into the depths of LLanberis lake due to water geting into the hull via the deck as there is no real seal between deck and hull,just a word to the wise   ok2

Stav

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 12:19:43 am »

Wise words big h and stavros will head them well , i did look at the screws and a coat of varnish will sort them out , i am thinking about a charging socket on the deck as well maybe under the stern box or a flush mounted jack type with a cover to the rear of the wheelhouse .
daz

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 04:08:27 pm »

This is certainly a very nice scale model, and seems to run well too!  I may end up buying one myself now that Howes are selling them half price. I'll repaint and weather mine, but it certainly doesn't need much else adding.
It's a great shame there aren't more RTR boats with proper radio and decent scale detail like this!

Globs

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 02:42:40 pm »

Word of warning dont sail this craft in rough weather,seen 2 of these nearly go down into the depths of LLanberis lake due to water geting into the hull via the deck as there is no real seal between deck and hull,just a word to the wise   ok2

Stav

Looks a really nice model - quite tempting if I wasn't so surrounded by boats to finish :)
However it has no scuppers - so even if you do seal the deck joint there is nowhere for the water to run.
I expect the full size boat it was based upon (if there was one) has either a) Sunk and b) Scuppers.

offshore1987

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 08:06:21 pm »

They are very good boats them and for £100 they are a real good buy  :-)) I got mine years back when i paid £180 i think ( have the majestic )

Nice write up  :-))

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 11:23:07 pm »

Thankyou , since i bought mine and sailed it on the pond another member has bought one , not the same model but the one with the stern gear
 i think its also the majestic .
daz

ralphhager

• Ralph1937
  • Shipmate
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 01:03:52 am »

portside II:
You made up my to buy one, excellent review. :-))  But I bought one of her sister boats called the Catherine Ready to Run Fishing Boat; Length 600 mm ( 23.6 inches) Beam 220mm ( 8.7 inches).  I bought mine from harbormodels.com in the USA for $279.00.  I will give it to my grandson for his birthday this March. :-)
ralph1937

swordfish fairey

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2009, 09:43:29 pm »

Great plan Ralph, I have had to beat my eldest grandson away with a wet Model Boats mag, he can't wait to get his sticky little mitts on it. the Catherine is a very nice model, there was one at a local show I went to last year and I could not believe it was RTR. The owner had weathered it and added lots of bits n bobs it really looked the part. Have fun with it..... ;)........Smudge

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2009, 11:17:02 pm »

To be honest i cant realy fault them all , i have replaced the railings on the stern of mine with wire mesh ones as they are plastic and i broke one.
I wonder if the demand for them will encourage TT to make some more ? .
daz

swordfish fairey

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2009, 06:57:28 pm »

Had my T.T. lobmaster out on the water yesterday and she looked great. I have weathered her a bit and changed the rigging for elastic, she also has her eyes on for sailing the Greek Islands....... :D.....Smudge

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 10:42:53 pm »

Now that looks good , i like the idea of changing the rigging for elastic ,i am always worried when hooking mine on incase something breaks
she looks well on the water just as if she was sailing out of a Greek port with the harbour wall.
daz

swordfish fairey

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 09:50:43 am »

Thanks Daz, I used Gold-Zack elastic sewing thread, it cost £1.80 for a 20m reel from a craft shop. It does tend to unravel when cut, but I draw it through some super glue first, that  also makes it easier to thread through blocks etc..... O0....Smudge
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 22 queries.