Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: lantina Camden II  (Read 2088 times)

hazegry

lantina Camden II
« on: January 23, 2009, 01:19:21 am »

I found one of these in my attic I forgot I had it I got it for 46 dollars on evil bay 4 or 5 years ago. so has anyone built one and set it up for rc? I think is designed to be a static model but I think it could be converted easily.

http://www.alwayshobbies.com/Store/Model-Boats/Static-Display-Kits/Carmen-II-Fishing-Boat-Kit

hazegry

Re: lantina Camden II
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 02:20:08 am »

ok got it down and its def a static boat. the bulkheads are solid and the plans dont have anything on installing servos or a motor, what do you guys think should I try to convert it over or just leave it as a static kit?

amdaylight

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 05:20:58 am »

Looks like it would make a good candidate for an RC conversion, so as they say nothing ventured nothing gained.

Andre
over yonder in Portland Oregon

Solitary Sailor

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 12:13:17 am »

Hi  hazegry

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party, better late than never I guess. I built a sister ship by Latina "Marina II". Like you I decided to make an R/C version, not too difficult to do ... however, watch out, she is very top-heavy, make sure everything is as low in the hull as possible, and when you come to the trials ... keep her in shallow waters. I have mine sitting well below the waterline, and she still rolls perilously close to the point of capsizing. Oh, and  DON"T over-power her.

The placing of the batteries is very limited - the forward end of the hold beneath the cabin structure, where, if your model  kit is anything like mine, there is a deck installed above the inner wall of the hull; my advise would be to eliminate the deck; however, given that this thread is nearly six months old ... you're probably long past that point  {:-{

Must be honest, mine usually stays on the shelf these days, as it's just too expensive replacing the electrical gear every time she wants to play shipwreck!

ZZ56

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 07:05:45 am »

Hollowing out all the bulkheads and replacing the superstructure pieces with thin styrene might leave room for more weight installed at the lowest point of the boat.

Solitary Sailor

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 06:08:13 pm »

Hi ZZ56

I don't say it's not do-able; just on a hull of this comparative size / displacement, there is not much room for changes. Yes, the superstructure could be fashioned out of thin styrene, but the current wooden forms supplied with the kit, don't amount to a whole hell of a lot. And the total ballast she took to get her to sit squarely in the water was only slightly in excess of 1/2 lb, and believe me, she does sit well below the waterline (at least, that indicated in the plans) ... but then she wasn't designed as a 'working model'. Dependent upon what battery configuration you use makes an enormous difference in this boat. Oh, and a regular 7.2 standard NiCad or NiHM won't fit, not unless you hollow out the forward bulkheads under the deck, and then you have the problem of how to get it out past the motor, should the need arise, unless of course you make the entire deck assembly removable ... not sure how you could do that and still keep the aesthetics of the model intact, as the forward section of the boat doesn't lend itself to such kit bashing. The idea is to make the model which you are working on functional, not to build an entirely different boat ... well for some maybe  :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 20 queries.