Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Proxxon bench circular saw KS 230  (Read 14250 times)

barryfoote

Proxxon bench circular saw KS 230
« on: November 20, 2008, 10:28:03 am »

Well Xmas is getting close and Mrs. Footski says she will buy me the above saw. I have never owned such an item but always wanted one so now I have the chance.

What do you guys think of it? Is it up to the job or is there a better option? I don't want her to waste her money after all.

It will only be used for cutting wood in the modelling field. things like planks for hull and decks so nothing too heavy.

Barry

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Proxxon bench circular saw KS 230
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 11:22:29 am »

Barry, i have one of these and would not be without it - they are great little machines

as you clearly state they are ideal for modelling  timbers, they wont tackle large or very  thick timber though, so long as you work within the limits of the saw they are fantastic...

the fence and the guides are nice additions, and help with precision cuts,  the saw is well made and mine has been reliable..

the blades are easy to change and replacements are also easy to get hold of, not too expensive either..

i have several blades, fine tooth, a blade for plastics and also a coarse type blade for ripping down timbers prior to fine cuts,

the saw will handle timbers, vaneers if careful,  acylix/ perspex, , plastics/ styrenes, ABS and other materials, - never used it for metals though....although i think i remember  having seen a blade for aluminium !

the little 240 v motor is powerful enough, and the machine is easy to clean down...

i have mine mounted to a base board which i mount to the workbench with g clamps, this stops everything moving during prolonged use- but 5 years on the saw is still top class
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Roger in France

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 11:35:34 am »

I do not have the saw, Barry, but I do have many Proxxon tools and find them all excellent. They are robust and well engineered.

If your wife has not already spent her money, then try "Train Magic" in Germany. He does very good prices, in Euros and his postage in mainland Europe is OK and rapid. He speaks English. I will try to find his Web Site and post it in a subsequent message.

Roger in France

barryfoote

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 12:16:59 pm »

Thanks for that chaps,

Guy,

The fence and guide you mention, are they standard or optional accessories?

Roger,

I would appreciate that web site if you can find it. I tried but failed miserably..

Barry

Dave Buckingham

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 12:27:57 pm »

Hi Barry
I have three and the larger one wonderful machines and certainly earn there keep

Fence and guide come with it

Tip buy wood Bass Obeche etc in sheets 3 or 4 ins wide various thicknesses and cut as required much cheaper
and less storage space.

If using the fine Tungston Carbide blade it has no set and can jamb or scream in my case I have cut one of my
guides level with the blade but you could  put a piece of wood/plastic/metal against the fence to do the same

Dave

nhp651

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 12:28:30 pm »

Sadly I must contradict what Roger says about Proxxon.
I have four pieces of equipment that I bought from a local outlet a while ago now at about the same time, having some spare cash.
A mini sander, a gas mini blow torch, a pencil sander and the most expensive tool, a sanding power file, similar to the black and decker type ( which I have 2) but smaller.
The Mini sander lacks power and will sand using only lightweight paper of 100 grade and finer.
The pencil sander, although a good little tool when it works, has always had a switch fault and barr taking it back to the outlet that had gone bust, it would have cost me more to send back than it was worth, so it is used intermitently with ( what I think is ) a dodgy switch.
The sanding powerfile which had had minimal use and was still on it's original packet of belts suffered a total internal failure just out of it's twelve month warrenty and when I contacted Proxxon I was told that I could send it back for repair but there would be a minimum charge of £40.00 to look at it and then what ever it would cost to repair, so it now sits on a shelf.
The only tool I have that is any "good" and which works decently and without "fault" is the mini torch, but this cost me about 3 times as much as a  replacement would cost from B & Q, and even that has a faulty filler valve and bypasses more gass on a fill than actualy goes into the reservoir tank.

I feel justified in posting this, ( and I know I have complained on this site about others having a go at manufacturers and suppliers in open forum) but I wrote to Proxxon twice with my problems and NEVER  received a written reply to my problems.
Therefore I just feel that I have to warn people that for the price, there are, in my experience , better tools on the market for less price. :(( {:-{

Tankerman

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 12:38:39 pm »

Barry,

I endorse everything Guy says about this saw. It is a superb tool and will handle most of our modeling requirements. The adjustable fence and graduated mitre stop come with the saw.
I have also used the Proxxon Micro Miller MF70 for more than three years and that too, is an excellent tool.

I wouldn't be without mine.

Chris

OMK

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 01:26:45 pm »

Bas, the same machine here, http://www.axminster.co.uk/find.asp, at the top of the page, along with prices for replacement blades.

Lucky you!

<edit>

Oops! That link only takes you to the index page.
Try this one.....

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=19999&name=proxxon+circular+saw&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=0

barryfoote

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 02:49:20 pm »

Bas, the same machine here, http://www.axminster.co.uk/find.asp, at the top of the page, along with prices for replacement blades.

Lucky you!

<edit>

Oops! That link only takes you to the index page.
Try this one.....

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=19999&name=proxxon+circular+saw&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=0

Hi PMK,

Yes that is the one but not worth buying from UK as with postage it works out quite expensive.

I always told you I was lucky having Mrs Footski as the better half..

Barry

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 03:36:14 pm »

I GOT MINE FROM AXMINSTER.... AND GOT A DISCOUNT !
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

walktheplank

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 07:26:12 pm »

Hello Footski, also if you have the time look at the Minitool Circular Saw Table it's a 12volt system, you do have to have there transformer but it has a variable speed. You can get many minitools, Router, Sanders, Grinder, Drill, and a Rotary tool, all plug into the transformer.
It is made by BOHLER in Germany.  will try and find a link if intrested, but do have an address for Germany and the UK.
Enclosed a few photos. I use mine to cut wood and plastic, as you can slow down the cutting speeds. You cant cut up trees with it, but I have had no trouble with mine. Sonic.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 09:28:10 pm »

Barry, I can endorse Guy's comments wholeheartedly. I have had one for almost 2 years (mine was a Christmas present from my wife too) and it is marvellous. I have just finished cutting a stack of metre long planks for my latest build, from 1.5 mm ply, and it did it easily. As Guy said, work within its limits and it will do a great job for you. I cut planks for an earlier model from 6 mm thick New Guinea rosewood, and it handled that job well too, although I had to take it slowly, as the saw's capacity is 8 mm, and the rosewood was quite hard.

I also use the same method of mounting as Guy.

Peter.

OMK

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 10:43:30 pm »

"...but not worth buying from UK as with postage it works out quite expensive."

Yep - I hear you. I'd already figured you were planning on buying over there, it's just that up until then I wasn't sure if you knew what one looked like.
You obviously do. And obviously can't wait for the 25th of next month.
Here's to a Merry Crimbo. And send your missus this way when you've done, bless 'er little cotton socks.

While we're talking of scroll saws, I just treated meself to one of these.....

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/54596/Power-Tools/Benchtop-Woodworking/Woodstar-SD16-405mm-Scroll-Saw

...and found there was enough room behind to on/off panel to stick a lamp dimmer there.  In a sense it means I saved a few shillings because the lamp dimmer gives me variable speed, but the same from the store would have cost an extra £30.00.
I wondered if the same is worthwhile doing for circular saws.... even if it's only to give you another knob to twiddle.

OMK

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 12:56:55 am »

"I also use the same method of mounting as Guy"...

...said the vicar to the...........

PeeWee Fitness, if you don't mind, a question for you.....
Them power plugs of yours, you have the wire coming out from the front. Just out of curiosity, what are you on down there, 110ac or 240?

Nearly forgot.......
On the R/H side of the photo, are those titanium bits?
Any good?

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 06:01:03 am »

PMK, we're on 240v, same as you, but the style of plugs here is quite different. Side entry plugs are also available, but most appliances use the type shown below. This style is also used in New Zealand.
Yes, they are titanium bits and they are brilliant, well worth the extra money. I haven't broken one yet.

Peter.

barryfoote

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 07:54:58 am »

Thanks guys for all the advise.

The Bohler looks good but is almost double the price of the Proxxon so had better give that a miss.

PMK.......Will send the wife in the new year!!!! {-) {-)
Mind you you will have to send her back before my birthday...
Barry

Roger in France

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 09:21:01 am »

Barry,

No wonder you could not find the German Company on the Internet....neither could I! Looks as if they have gone. sorry not to be able to help.

Roger

Roger in France

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 10:25:10 am »

Barry,

Ignore my last post, I have found them!!!!

www.letrainmagique.com

The site is in English.

Roger

barryfoote

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 08:15:54 pm »

Thanks Roger, but I can only get it in that starnge language they call French....En español, no problema, pero............

Barry

OMK

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 01:25:54 am »

"PMK, we're on 240v, same as you,"

Ah, thanks for the heads-up. The reason I asked is because your plugs look similar to those in the States. That front-protruding cord is a nice touch.
The three pins on the back of yours are physically smaller than those in the UK, which reinforces what I've thought all along...... 13A domestic plugs in the UK are too big, too cumbersome and just too ugly. Since the majority of consumer goods are double insulated these days, a simple two-pin plug would be more than sufficient. Even your three-pins jobs are smaller than ours.
The only plausible excuse for such a bad show is that the chap who designed our plug/socket system was obviously having a bad-hair day. The chap who sanctioned his design should obviously be burnt at the stake.
While you're there, thanks also for the titanium info. The best deal I found so far is £25.00'ish for a set of ten (1mm through 10mm). Sound good to you?

Thanks, amigo.

Thanks to you too, Bas. Apologies for busting up your thread.
You, sire, are indeed a true gent. Although I appreciate your offer, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to decline. If you send her here in the New Years means I'll have to keep her here 'til at least April.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 04:25:06 am »

The best deal I found so far is £25.00'ish for a set of ten (1mm through 10mm). Sound good to you?

Sounds pretty good to me, about the same as I paid, allowing for the exchange rate.

On the subject of power plugs, those in the UK are quite big, aren't they? I have an adapter plug for when we go over there, seeing the voltage is the same.

Peter.

Roger in France

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2008, 06:09:33 am »

Barry,

There is a button for "English" at the top of the Home Page. However, he does answer the phone in person and speaks good English.

His Web design needs some attention I have never seen such a cluttered layout.

Roger in France

barryfoote

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2008, 08:51:58 am »

Cheers Roger,

They sell it at a good price and have the complete Proxxon catalogue in pdf format....

PMK......Sorry amigo but she refuses to go to Blighty for that long....Looks like I'll have to keep her here looking after me!! :-)) :-)) :-))

tomocj

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2009, 01:53:36 pm »

Hi I got a proxxon  for xmas and would not be without it ,recommended.
chris

TCC

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 02:10:10 pm »

Barry, who's the old fxxt? ok2

Only kidding :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.