Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New outrigger.... Heeeeeelp!  (Read 5095 times)

das boot

New outrigger.... Heeeeeelp!
« on: January 24, 2009, 09:30:20 am »

I told you there'd be a barrage of questions when this thing arrived, didn't I? It's just arrived...what the flippin' heck have I gorn and done? The motor is bigger than the one in my hoover! It's frightening..

Oh well, 'ere we go then...
Question 1:
On the left side there is a piece of heavy cable coming out of a moulded junction which plugs back into itself...do I take it that this is the radio on'off switch?

Question 2:
The rudder assembly seems(seems)fairly straight forward to screw back together, but what and when do I adjust? Or do I just leave it alone, use it, and see what happens?

Question 3:
The esc I bought with the boat from Euan is a water cooled American Victory...in the instruction sheets it mentions that it's best to use it with a 40 mhz FM radio. Will it work with a 40mhz AM radio?

Help me.... :o

Rich

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
Re: New outrigger.... Heeeeeelp!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 09:49:20 am »

Right Q1.... The heavy cabe is a power isolator loop so if your boat stops the rescue boat guys can isolate the motor and prevents it accidentally starting.

Q2 .... The rudder angle is adjustable which allows the models handling to be adjusted when cornering, angling the bottom of the rudder towards the bow keeps the nose down in the turns..... Angling it the other way lifts the nose in the turns (I think!!! Stands back and waits to be corrected!!!)

Q3.... Will work with any radio gear just 40mhz less prone to interference than 27mhz.

Hope this helps,

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 09:56:49 am »

Hi Rich
I was going to say that.  It look good and if you set them up should skim over the top of the water nicely. It dose not look like you have got to do to much before she will be on the water. We should be seeing some photos  very soon then. Good luck with setting her up.
Cheers for now
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

wideawake

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 10:10:23 am »

Q3.... Will work with any radio gear just 40mhz less prone to interference than 27mhz.

Hope this helps,

Mark.

........and FM is much less prone to motor generated interference than AM whether 27MHz or 40MHz.

HTH

Guy

das boot

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 10:28:40 am »

Thanks chaps...that's a good start then.

OK, got that bit sorted...now, I take I have got the outriggers set up properly? The left side(looking towards the stern)is the side with the narrow gap between the sponson tubes and the hull...the one with the turn fin attached? It all seemed to line up when assembled that way, so fingers crossed I've got that bit correct?

Mark, the power isolation loop...I take it that it is plugged together all the time the boat is operational, and is just parted in cases of emergency?

Bill...all I'm waiting for is the radio and the battery packs to arrive, and then it's almost just a case of plugging everything together and hitting the water. (says he, full of optimism....)

Rich

(going off out later to buy several new pairs of brown trousers...  %))

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 10:32:13 am »

The sponsons are off set to counteract motor/prop torque and the isolation loop is only removed if there is an emergency.

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

das boot

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 10:34:34 am »

Thanks Mark, much appreciated.

Onwards and upwards then..

Rich

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 11:06:50 am »

Rich. The shops are open today. Go and buy the radio bits you need. Then Water in the morning and pics on the forum in the afternoon.  Enjoy your Hydro mate, PS Mind out for the daft ducks and mothers with buggys. They are all out to get us!!!!!! :-)) :-))
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

das boot

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 11:24:55 am »

Bill, the radio is coming from SMC(Sussex Model Centre)should be here today with a bit of luck and a following wind, if not then it'll be Monday...which just happens to be my day off... %)

Our lake has plenty of potential hazards, mate...swans, geese as well as ducks. (did you know that geese absobloodylutely HATE model submarines?) Not sure about mothers with buggies though...although there is the usual submerged shopping trollies and my old Revell Flower Class Corvette, that's out there somewhere. Been there for over ten years now...

It's going to be fun running the 'rigger, I just hope my heart can take the stress!!!

Rich

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 12:41:40 pm »

Rich I find the best place to try out any new boats is where it is sallow enough to wade out in the waders.  As for your heart rate! you will be fine till you get to my size Hydro, Then It goes up a beat or 2.
What type battery's are you going to use. The Lipo cells are very light compaired to how much power you can get out of them.  I wished they was around when i built my Blizzard ulta hydro.  Till I'm not going back to that now i have found 26cc engines.

Euan Galloway

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 12:48:09 pm »

Rich ,
             I am pleased that it arrived safely,i usually try and make the packaging postie proof?
               I have answered your questions and replied by pm,
                   cheers Euan

omra85

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 01:07:57 pm »

Rich
just shows how much some of us know  %)

I'd have used the same logic as you, ie, for a boat predominantly turning right, put the longest bit out on the left!
It must be just to counteract the torque then?

You live and learn  :-))

Danny

Euan Galloway

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 01:10:47 pm »

Danny, Rich , i just realised i was talking b@@@@@x after reading my last post its right as it is,
                     Doh???????,
                                    cheers Euan.

omra85

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 01:26:50 pm »

Bu**er - I thought I'd just learned something new!
Thanks Euan - happens to all of us  %) %) :-))
The picture I posted must be an optical illusion as it seems to support your earlier post.  But then so does Bills avatar  {:-{
Danny

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 04:16:03 pm »

Topic name changed....  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

das boot

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 05:51:01 pm »

Rich
just shows how much some of us know  %)

I'd have used the same logic as you, ie, for a boat predominantly turning right, put the longest bit out on the left!
It must be just to counteract the torque then?

You live and learn  :-))

Danny

I dunno mate, I was just harking back to watching sidecar racing on TV!   :o

Rich

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.