Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Freelance tug - of sorts.  (Read 12522 times)

ronkh

Freelance tug - of sorts.
« on: January 25, 2009, 05:22:50 pm »

Hello all,

I have been working on this boat for the past couple of months. I was looking for plans for steam engines and on this site - attached - I downloaded the plan for a steam Pinasse as the shape of the hull really appealed to me.

www.john-tom.com

I have no idea what a Pinasse is other than it is the name for rather a lot of different boats! I have been told that the English spelling is Pinnace?
Anyway, as I could not afford a steam plant (and also that it would take too long to make one), I decided to use the hull and adapt the rest for a tug of sorts.
The first few pictures are of the bulwarks cut out using a Christmas pressie from my wife - a scroll saw.
I will give captions of to the others photos as I go along.

ronkh

Re: Freelance tug - of sorts.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 05:29:08 pm »

A couple more. On one of the photos I had to split the back of the stern/keel to fix the prop tupe in place. With a keel doubler layer on both sides, it went together extremely strongly. I hope I have used thecorrect nautical terms!

ronkh

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 05:33:49 pm »

Planking going on. Did not realize how awkward some of the shapes were/are. Planking is of Balsa of which more of later.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 05:35:45 pm »

Nice!  :o :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

kno3

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 05:36:06 pm »

Looking good. What scale should it be and what kind of superstructures did you plan?

ronkh

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 05:39:16 pm »

Part of the bow got damaged after a bit of heavy handling, the front right. One of the biggest draw backs of using balsa.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 05:40:05 pm »

And what glue are you using?
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

barryfoote

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 05:41:24 pm »

Ron,

She is looking good and should harden up a little when sealed. Are you planning on a double planking or just single?

Barry

ronkh

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 05:42:21 pm »

Thanks Martin. I wonder if I can get this finished before a certain someone's Bismark!! {-) :-)) %)

kno3. Photos of part of the superstructure will be posted very soon. Hopefully within the hour.

Ron.

ronkh

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 05:45:57 pm »

At the moment I am not sure whether to use resin and tissue or plank it. I have only used fibre and resin once and that was yesterday for the inside. Next time I must keep door or window open as my head was splitting after! Not nice at all. As for glue, the yellow stuff and super.

Ron.

barryfoote

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 05:47:47 pm »

At the moment I am not sure whether to use resin and tissue or plank it. I have only used fibre and resin once and that was yesterday for the inside. Next time I must keep door or window open as my head was splitting after! Not nice at all. As for glue, the yellow stuff and super.

Ron.

I may be teaching granny to suck eggs, but if you do double plank it you can use a nice soft wood like lime. Much easier second time round and gives a lovely finish.

Barry

ronkh

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 06:23:11 pm »

Thinking on those lines Barry. Plenty of spare wood in shed to choose from (as most on here I think).
One of the pics showing keel doubler.
Heater looks lethal but isnt! Very cold in shed and its also not as bad as it looks. More of a bright light then heat, it gives the illusion of being warm.
At the moment, the superstructure is laid on the deck - which is not glued down - and a long way to go yet. This part of the build I will definately be planking.
The sizes (without the superstructure on) are 28" (710) length 6.75" (170) wide and 5" deep (127) without the superstructure.
I am not sure what the scale is but I did read on one of the threads on here - not sure who - and he said that if you get some model figures and it looks correct, then that is how to get a near as d##n it scale.
Barry, I have decided to plank the hull. Whether it will be in lime or whatever or a mixture of woods will wait and see.

Ron.

ronkh

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 06:27:43 pm »

I tried getting different ideas for the structure with the cardboard. Thankfully, we eat a lot of cereal in our house so no shortage of boxes. :-))
The last one shows the glass fibre for strength which made smoothing down the outside of the hull so much easier.

Ron.

ronkh

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 06:49:42 pm »

I was wondering how to make the funnel. Not feeling confident using glassfibre, plus I do not like the smell or the headache, I decided to fabricate one by first cutting a piece of aluminium tube in half (I think it measures just under .625"), gluing them together and filling the bottoms flat.
I then marked on to 5 scrap bits of wood the shape (rather like a figure of eight). Then I marked the outer edges of the circles to give two straight lines and cut out. Once I was happy with the shapes I then cut a notch on one side of each and stuck a length of wood on them. To get the length of ply (.750m/m) to wrap around correctly, I used another shaped piece and marking a line on one edge and centrally, I rolled it over one complete turn and marked out where the line came. Remembering to measure twice and cut once, I am happy to say that the end result came out very well.

Ron.

Hopefully will have some more done by next weekend.

ronkh

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 07:44:40 pm »

Dear all,

This is where I will be needing some (or a lot) of help please. :-))
Electronics!!!! {:-{

Can I please ask for help in setting up/running an R/C boat?
My knowledge of the above is a three pin plug, lots of sparks if I get things wrong and a complete brain freeze if I am asked anything about said matter. :embarrassed:
What I have made my mind up to get is a pack from Model Flight Accessories. This comprises a Torpedo 540 motor with mount. A forward-off-reverse speed controller, fused wired harness, servo linkage, propellor (which I will replace or try to make one, I think I will need one in the region of 45m/m dia), full compression. The motor gearing is 6:1 giving 1900 RPM from 12 volts.
I would really like to get some lights on this and if not too hard, perhaps a working winch if thats possible but not important. Obviously I will need batteries and a charger but have no idea what would be best.
In short, anything that one or some of you kind people can help me with, by way of a simple wiring plan and instructions and patience, plus a not too expensive R/C controller. I have looked at ACTion website and there are wiring plans on it but I am still not too sure about some of the meanings. I not sure what an ESC is.
I would really appreciate any advice.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Ron.

barryfoote

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 09:38:26 pm »

Ron,
It really isn't rocket science......or so the experts tell me. Try a pm to FLJ (Dave of ACTion). He will listen to you, fully understanding your lack of knowledge. He will supply what you need at a reasonable cost and help you through which wires to put where etc. With his help you will learn and the boat will go where you want it to. I know as he did all that for me!!

Barry

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 11:02:26 pm »

Ron,
Depending on her all up weight she might struggle a bit on 1900 rpm on that prop, but will depend on the pitch.
Give her a go but be prepared to up the prop a bit.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

catengineman

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 08:14:47 am »

I have looked at ACTion website and there are wiring plans on it but I am still not too sure about some of the meanings. I not sure what an ESC is.

Hi ronkh,  ESC is your speed control "electronic speed control" as for the wire's then if its your first attempts then I would err on the simple side of things and when you feel like you can add then go for it.

But most of all have fun

R,

ronkh

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 06:16:45 pm »

Bit of an update on the build. Been a while but work dictates so only a couple of Saturdays free.
Not quite a tug. In fact, I'm not sure what it could be called but I am having fun making it!
Electrics are from Dave at ACTion Electronics. (What a very helpful, nice and patient man). Thanks to Barry for the pointer.
Just need to get the control box at the end of month (payday!) and I can then see if I will get the wires etc, in correctly, or if I will need an extinguisher!
I now that some things may not be to scale - as with the planks - but I think it's looking okay.
I may be wrong, but I think the scale is 1:40? How I got this scale was by measuring the door heights which are 2", and by going to George Turners web-site for figures, saw some at this scale which were just under. Not science but it does for me!

ronkh

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2009, 06:23:52 pm »

Few more. The planking's caulking was done using a felt-tip pen. I tried with card but got nowhere except frustrated and annoyed. Could'nt get it right though will have a bit of practice on some scrap for next boat. (Time allowing)!
I will be turning some port-hole windows and also stuff for the deck such as a winch or two, davits perhaps if I make a couple of small boats, anchor winch, etc.
Quite a lot more that I want to do and put on it so any ideas/suggestions would be veey welcome.

Ron.

ronkh

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2009, 06:30:10 pm »

One of the photos is a bit blurred but I think it gives an idea of the shape of the deck. This was done by leaving weights on it for a while in the hull. These were left on for the time I was at work for about two weeks total. I then planked it while it was still in the hull and this helped it to keep its curve.
I would like to add something with regards to Dave at ACTion. I told him I had no idea at all with respect to the workings. He looked at the site where I told him I got the plans for the hull, corrected me with a couple of mistakes - namely, I told him the wrong diminsions - and he sorted everything out for me. The motor - ESC - batteries - fuses - diagram, etc and where to get the controller so again, a very big thank you to Full Leather Jacket.
Dont forget that I would appreciate any ideas/thoughts on this, no matter what they are. Well, within reason!!

Ron.

ronkh

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2009, 06:35:07 pm »

With these ones I think you can see the curve I have on the deck. It shows up more with the superstructure base I think.
The control will be a four channel one instead of a two channel as I will be able to get more things in/on it.
I know that it looks a bit cartoonish but as I said earlier, I am enjoying this, its the first scratch build that I am attempting, I also wanted something a bit different from kit tugs/boats, and I love working with wood.
I am going to buy a book or two on how to wire up boats. Anyone know of any or can you recommend some?

Ron.

PS. I have decided to plank the hull and not use tissue and resin. Started planking this afternoon and in a week or two I will hopefully, be well on the way to planking it.

barryfoote

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2009, 07:25:19 pm »

She is looking beautiful. Your woodwork is a credit to you...

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2009, 07:41:48 pm »

Ron

You're more than welcome. Book? This is the one to buy:

https://shop.traplet.com/product.aspx?c=311

FLJ

ronkh

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2009, 08:08:45 pm »

Cheers Barry.
That will do for me Dave. Thanks again.

Meant to say earlier that I have yet to smooth the deck down, then its a few coats of clear varnish and a few of lacquer. Should'nt look so rough then but as I said, I still have a long way to go yet on the build.
The gap at the front is not deliberate. Its called slipping through the fingers and finding a hard floor! (After I had already damaged it).
I'll blame it on the cold weather!!

Ron.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 23 queries.