Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: TYPE 42 BUILD - HMS YORK  (Read 52522 times)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
TYPE 42 BUILD - HMS YORK
« on: January 25, 2009, 06:46:42 pm »

Hi there All

Here are few pics of my current build from Jecobin plans - HMS York  :-))

This is plank on frame build; using Sirmar (PSships fittings)  first couple of pics show the set up of the frames on the building board; also, the planking.

aye
john

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: TYPE 42 BUILD - HMS YORK
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 06:53:12 pm »

..... couple of shots of the planking in progress too

you will notice I use a section of 1/16 ply where the rear deck cut-outs are; underneath the helicopter platform deck

aye
john e
bluebird

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 07:04:01 pm »

and some shots showing - when I sanded down the fibre glass tissue matt on the exterior of the hull - I then sprayed the hull with a grey primer (well my son, Andrew did).

I then rubbed the hull back using wet 'n dry and a sanding block; and this revealed, as you can see, 'low parts' in the resin which I had to fill with P38 car body filler.

Once these were then sanded smooth the hull was then resprayed with Plasticoat primer and also a shot of internal of the hull - this shows where I have sealed the inside with fibre glass resin -  :-))

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 07:08:04 pm »

Looking really good John, its surprising what you can achieve between tea breaks. ok2
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 07:18:32 pm »

... these shots show the installation the running gear - the running gear was self-made from brass tubing and brass bushes with stainless steel prop shafts.   You can also see the jig which I made for holding and soldering the legs on the 'a' frames.

The next shot you will see the rudder installation; with what we call a closed circuit - using 2 push rods. 

Finally, a pic of the motor/motor mounts - this is for Martin 13.   (Doon Under)  :-))  Some idea here to mount your motors in your King George battleship.

Just as a side note; when I built HMS Norfolk; I had the same problem as Martin 13 has encountered, motors very close to the hull, so, I literally hung the motors 'off a platform' so that the motors were actually mounted upside down.

aye

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 07:23:44 pm »

Who's plans are you using John?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 07:26:10 pm »

John,
How does the weight of your hull compare to a GRP hull?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 07:29:35 pm »

and.... next set of pics cutting holes in the hull which I have just spent ages sealing  :o  the first shots are of the anchor recess - this is where I have had to cut right through the hull into the first frame and then back it off with a 1/16 piece of plywood.    I then edged it and on the inside I sealed it all with Epoxy resin and also P38 car body filler.

You can see pics of openings being cut underneath the flight deck; if you note I leave the frames in place until I have cut and sanded all of the openings.   This makes sure there is enough strength in the stern; and once the openings are all finished I then cut and remove the frames.

aye
john

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 07:32:25 pm »

Hi Martin - Jecobin plans.  ;) ;)

Bob, I didnt weigh the hull when I took her from the building board; but, I know she is extremely lightweight.  :-))

aye
john

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 07:34:09 pm »

Hi ya, just weighed the hull now on the bathroom scales - she is 5 lb - and that is with 2 motors/ all the running gear plus the servo and that.

:-)) :-)) :-))

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 07:35:33 pm »

That has to be lighter than a GRP hull then.
She looks strong too.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 07:45:04 pm »

couple of pics here of actual fitting of the aft deck and alsothe bulkheads

you can see I am beginning to fit some of the fittings - once the helicopter deck is fitted - it would be a major operation to get back to this deck.

the other thing to note which has been brought to my attention by Bob - shipmates 60 - 3 bladed props - these are only a temporary measure as they were put on while I was running in the motors and shafts.   Dicky note me bucket on the floor  :D :D :D  that is for all me mistakes and tea bags for me extended tea breaks.

aye

dan

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 09:00:50 pm »

looks fantastic, and everythings been done so neatly, i wish my skills were half as good as yours

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 09:07:10 pm »

thank you for the kind comments my mate, but, remember everyone is as good as everyone else - we all got different levels of time we can spend at the hobby  :-)) :-))

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 09:12:17 pm »

Great to see the traditional building method John. GRP has its place but you just can't beat the satisfaction of building a hull in wood. (if only because of the smell...) What I would call an "Organic" model!

Colin

Martin13

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 10:11:10 pm »

Finally, a pic of the motor/motor mounts - this is for Martin 13.   (Doon Under)  :-))  Some idea here to mount your motors in your King George battleship.

Just as a side note; when I built HMS Norfolk; I had the same problem as Martin 13 has encountered, motors very close to the hull, so, I literally hung the motors 'off a platform' so that the motors were actually mounted upside down.

aye

Mr Bluebird Sir,

What do you mean by "mounting motors upside down".

Do you think that mounting motors as you have will work on HMS Vanguard.
Did you have any problems in aligning motors as per this method.
Are the motor mounts epoxied to the hull.

I'll think of another question in a minute re motors and mounts..

Martin13 doon under

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 10:40:06 pm »

Martin,

I have done this on more than one occasion. If there is insufficient room to attach the motors to the bottom of the hull and line them up properly then you can attach them to a plate which is fixed across the hull higher up with the motors suspended from it. This enables you to lower the motor shaft to line up with the propeller shaft. I have found this method particularly useful if you want to gear down the motors via a belt drive. A variation is shown below although in this case the motors were mounted on top of the plate. There are lots of ways to transfer motor power to the shafts if you use a bit of imagination!

Colin

madrob

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 12:55:13 am »

I would have liked to have seen you planking the bow  :-))

Love it so far

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 09:24:17 am »

John, that looks great. I'm really pleased to see a "proper hull" being made. Can't beat it.

ANDY
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Martin13

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2009, 11:14:27 am »

Colin,

Thanks for explanation. I think the very hot sun down here is the cause of brain malfunction/meltown. I especially like your setup - very clever

Martin doon under

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2009, 07:27:59 pm »

hi ya Martin Doon under

Mr Bishop has kindly answered part of your question about the motor being hung upside down  :-)) :-)) :-)

To answer the other part of your question; about the motor mountings in the Type 42 - the main base plate is made from quarter inch ply and that is shaped to fit the bottom of the hull/then epoxied into the bottom of the hull; it is then levelled off (before the epoxy dries) with the use of a spirit level, ensuring the hull is level beforehand.   When these baseplates have dried, the motor mounting brackets are assembled from 1/8 ply.   These are then superglued on top of the mounting plate.

In theory, and I do say in theory  :embarrassed: if we need to alter the position of the motor mounting plates, but not the bed plates, they should break free from the bed plates with a certain amount of force, leaving the bedplate and the hull in tact.

Madrob – to answer your question – isn’t it sod’s law, I haven’t been taking that may pictures of the build; as I didn’t think another grey build would interest people on this Forum.  However, if you have a look at the Cervia build, the planking of the bow for the York follows much the same principle as the planking on the Cervia where I used tapered stealer planks to fill the triangular gaps at the bow.   The planking process started off at the keel, with 0.4mm wide x 1.8 thick strips of Obechi.  The reason for the thin and narrow pieces of planking first off is – at the stern of the vessel where the keel is – there are some tight radius’ there and I wanted to plank into the small tight radiuses.   So this is how I accomplished that.

After I had laid 4 planks of the narrow planking, I increased to 6mm wide planks – up until the turn of the bilge.   I then began at deck level, inserting the 2 pieces of 1/16 ply at the stern; which I used as, as you can see, the stern is partly open and visible and using the plywood gives a neat and clean finish inside, as well as outside, without too much work.   Then from deck level, I planked up with 10 mm wide Obechi planks; until the side planks began mating in with the 6mm planks.

That is basically how I planked this hull.

And does this mean I have to begin to take more photographs then?  :-)) ok2 :-)

aye
john e
bluebird

Mark47

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 09:42:57 pm »

Fantastic job so far! :-))

I presume it's 1:72 scale?

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as I have a hull 1:72. Sadly I don't live near a calm water to sale her and my cars a little small to transport her.

I did think of getting rid of her, but if I can come up with a way of halving the hull for transport. I might just build her one day. A member of my old model club done this very effectively. You could not even see the join when the ship was 5-8 feet out in the water. Unfortunately he's passed on now and I'm struggling to get productive information on how to do this.

Anyway keep up the good work.

Watching with interest.  ;)

Mark

Garabaldy

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 10:12:18 pm »

John do you think its cheaper to build the hull yourself or to buy a GRP one?

A question i have asked myself a few times.  Just wandered what your thoughts were on it......

Looks brill though.  Its making me want to go and work on mine but its too cold  :((

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 10:16:03 pm »

John will confirm this - or make me look daft (again) - but I think it's the 1/96 version. Two Speed 500s wouldn't make much of an impression on a 1/72 scale destroyer.

FLJ

Mark47

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 10:22:47 pm »

John will confirm this - or make me look daft (again) - but I think it's the 1/96 version. Two Speed 500s wouldn't make much of an impression on a 1/72 scale destroyer.

FLJ

Thats what I thought FLJ. So thought I better ask.

On a 1:96 I would always buy the hull, but I'm lazy and honest about it. {-) Bigger scales I would put the effort in to the hull. Not trying to take anything away from a fine build made all the better if it is 1:96.

Mark
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.