Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: TYPE 42 BUILD - HMS YORK  (Read 52533 times)

dan

Re: TYPE 42 BUILD - HMS YORK
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2009, 09:54:43 pm »

hi ya there Chris

As gingyer has stated; HMS York has literally just come out from a £17m refit from F.S.L. Co (Fleet Support Ltd).   Apart from upgrading the radar arrangements, the seadart missile launcher was upgraded as well.   What they have actually done to the seadart launcher system - I am unsure - as yet anyway.    I hope to receive some photographs so I can compare them.   

One of the more notable alterations to the vessel is the additional trimtab across the stern.

Aye
john e
bluebird

do you know if any other ships will be upgraded? especially HMS Campbeltown

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2009, 10:18:52 pm »

This is a great thread! Lots of good pics on building from scratch. It isnt my forte but all the same, its good to see how its done!  :-))

One thing I noticed is that the rudders seem a little short or only seem to be in the very top of the prop wash. Will this affect rudder authority at all or is it just a trick of the photograph?

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2009, 10:35:17 pm »

One thing I noticed is that the rudders seem a little short or only seem to be in the very top of the prop wash. Will this affect rudder authority at all or is it just a trick of the photograph?

Not a trick most modern RN warships have the rudders down to about the centre of the prop or just below

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2009, 03:43:51 pm »

hi all

Just a quick update on what Ive been doing on hms york.

Ive been constructing a couple of cabins & bases for the radar.

Also been making the platforms for the Scot domes.

I think I may move on next and begin working on the main deck - to keep my interest fresh  :-))
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

dan

« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2009, 08:11:45 am »

hi bluebird,

hows the build coming along? we havn seen any pictures for a while

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2009, 04:10:21 pm »

Dan,

Bluebird has been too busy looking for lost Xtals  {-) {-)

You found them yet
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2009, 08:15:11 pm »

Riggers, remember the Chinese Proverb say he who follow the path of the mysterious Liberty Ship plans must first solve the missing Chrystal problem - in other words - buy a new one - like I have  %% %% ...

As far as my build is going, I have been concentrating on the forward gun.  Two attempts at the gun casing and achieving the correct angles - also making 3 gun barrels - 2 scrap through own stupidity learned the hard way when attempting last one   :D  .

I am now concentrating on the rocket launcher.   

The Rocket launcher and gun do track and elevate & the electronics for these are a mixture of modified servos and electronics from ACTion.

Working on secret plan for missiles. experimented on one missile firing; and it can pentrate 1/2 inch fibreglass re-enforced model hull at 10 yards.  <*<  Looking for a suitable target on Tynemouth Lake   -   any offers there.  :police:

Couple of pics here.

aye
john e
bluebird

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2009, 10:47:38 pm »

Couple more pics for Dicky - prove I am still busy working on the Type 42  :-))   Been making a lot of ammo cases, also, putting in anchor hawsers and winches.

Seem to be have been doing lots of work, and getting nowhere.

Just received some brass etchings from John Haynes for it; some eye-bolts and flat bar stanchions....looking good and by what you need really is a very good magnifying glass to see the eye-bolts and some good tweezers to pick them up with.  :-)) :-))

aye
john e

dan

« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2009, 11:02:34 pm »

hi bluebird,
i wondered where the build had gone, its looking great. how long do you think itll be before its on the water?

Seem to be have been doing lots of work, and getting nowhere.

i know how you feel mate, when i do get time to spend working on Campbeltown i do as much as i can and have nothing to show for it  {:-{

TugCowboy

« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2009, 12:44:12 am »

Really a wonderful build with some excellent detail!

Tc

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2009, 09:33:25 am »

Very nice John, nice to see you haven't been spending all your time drinking tea.  ok2
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2009, 02:38:17 pm »

Looking good John!  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2009, 03:02:33 pm »

hi all,

Cheers for the compliments  :-))

At this present moment, I am beginning to put handrails and canopy rails in place, around the superstructure.

Someone, on a previous posting, questioned the upturned 'v' shape /inverted 'v' shape around the front of the bridge on the Type 42.   This rail, in actual fact, is used for putting a marquee affair/canvas cover over.  This is where it attaches to the front bridge.  This is the job I have started with.  

After reading that previous posting, a certain Mr Haynes advertised his photoetched Eyebolts at 1:96 scale - and so I promptly ordered some from John (500+ on a brass etched fret) also, I ordered 200 flat bar Navy-style stanchions.   The idea here being that the stanchions all around the superstructure & mastwork - I am going to use John Haynes' flat bar stanchions.   John's are a real true fine scale stanchions and will bend quite easily if you are careless.  

The railings around the deckwork I am using James Lane stanchions this is because they are slightly thicker, but still at a perfect scale - they will withstand a knocking around this area (which will and is quite vulnerable from handling).  :-))

Here are a few tips for those who have never used John Haynes' stanchions or brass etched work; be warned - they are extremely fine and one has to handle them with care, whilst assembling.   The way I am proceeding with this, especially with the eye-bolts, is I am working over a clean white sheet of paper - this is because the eye-bolts are very small and if you drop one you would lose it instantly on your workbench - so the trick is, mark off the positions around the superstructure where you want your eye-bolts to fit.  By the way I am using these eye-bolts to secure handrails. Drill with a 0.4 mm small drill, at the correct location, and then one at a time fit the eye-bolt in after you have dipped it into some superglue, and, when you have all of your eyebolts lined in line, slide your brass rod of 0.5mm thick, through the eye-openings and around each contact area apply a tiny drop of superglue using a dress makers pin to apply the glue.   When the glue has hardened/set on the inside of the superstructure where the tabs of the eyebolts have come through, bend them and then glue them into position with superglue.

I have included a photograph of where I have tried using John Haynes' flat bar stanchions around where the Scot domes are going to be; and what I found there as well is, these stanchions will bend very easily, so remember to be very careful with them.   Yet again, I am using a small drop of superglue on the end of a dressmakers' pin to apply superglue to the rail joint where the rail joins the stanchion.

Couple of pics, I am afraid they are slightly out of focus, but, bear in mind these eye-bolts and railings are very small and fine.  When they are all in place, it does give that professional touch /look to it, so well worth it.

aye
john

Martin13

« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2009, 01:29:14 pm »

And I thought I was crazy scratch building Ammo Lockers.
Think I'll stick to larger scale models. I'd need several shots of Scotch just to keep my hands steady enough to do the task %) %)

Well done John - you have more patience than I  :-))

Martin doon under

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2009, 02:51:23 pm »

hi all,

sore eyes...and needing a break  ;) %% %% been on for days fitting the handrails and stanchions - nearly 150 stanchions up to now, just on this little bit of work on the superstructure

it is one of those jobs, where you think you are doing great, stand back and see you have hardly scratched the surface...well, another tea break and I will do some more...here are a few pics so you can see how I am getting along.

aye
john

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2009, 03:03:48 pm »

Nice job John.

I'm getting a bit worried as we appear to be having our tea breaks at the same time as each other, still as long as I don't have as many as you---------------------------------- ;)

boatman 101

« Reply #91 on: July 08, 2009, 03:10:22 pm »

WELL Bluebird she's a super build are you havin any workin features on her ?

wallace

« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2009, 08:13:06 pm »

Hi Bluebird   John   been keeping upto date with your build and i must say its fab and I really meen that as an X RN lad I love the navy boats  sorry ships  Im like yourself got to have the tea breaks while building I think you have been looking at my build not put any photos on for a few weeks been doing and re-doing bits on it will post some very soon   keep up the good work forgot to say im building the Sir lancelot.
                   wallace

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2009, 06:49:22 pm »

Hi there all

Quick update here; couple of pics.

To answer the questions - the only working features I have included in this model are:

main search radar which will rotate; main gun and missile launcher swivel - I am not going to put any lights on this model/or any more working features.

At the moment I am constructing the 20mm guns; all from Plasticard.

You may be able to make out the framework on the port side; the white plastic assembly.   

The two main masts are still not attached yet and they are removable - this is because I am bothered in case I damage the brass spars and so forth.

aye
john e
bluebird

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2009, 09:05:06 pm »

Looking good John, should be floating it soon  {-)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2009, 11:37:11 am »

Hi there one and all

Just a couple more pics which I forgot to put on the with my last posting.  It shows the starboard side and heli hanger/

Aye

John e

bluebird

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2009, 04:04:48 pm »

Hi just a couple more pics of the build so far :-)

You will see :

I have added

bollards

fair leads

Phalex guns

ammo lockers - all of these scratch built

You will see also there is a rotary decoy launcher as well - where the old torpedo tubes used to be

Not much more to go...at least that is what I keep telling myself  :-))

aye john e
bluebird

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2009, 04:09:38 pm »

Looking good John.

Let me know when you finish it and I will try and sink it for you, all in the interest of science of course.  ok2

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2009, 05:39:23 pm »

Lovely job John, really nice.

Colin

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2009, 10:30:49 am »

Smashing, John. We follow your build with great interest and hope to emulate you one day. :-))  Admirable work. Thanks for posting.

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.