Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Car theft tracking systems  (Read 3383 times)

sinjon

• Sinjon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Car theft tracking systems
« on: January 27, 2009, 01:24:03 pm »

My wife is in the process of buying a soft top car, the insurance company insists on fitting a tracking device, probably a good idea anyway.
Does anyone have experience/knowledge of these devices?

Colin
Colin

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Car theft tracking systems
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 01:57:51 pm »

Tracker. Oringinally developed by Trafficmaster.

Expensive, but very good.

http://www.firstalarm.co.uk/70050/info.php?p=2&pno=0

From their Blurb

How does TRACKER work?

TRACKER stolen vehicle recovery systems work like an electronic homing device. A covert transmitter is hidden discreetly in one of several dozen places around the vehicle. There is no visible aerial or other identifying feature so the thief can't see it and won't know it's there.

When the car is stolen and reported to the police, TRACKER activates the system, which sends out a silent radio signal unique to your vehicle, across a dedicated nationwide transmission network.

With TRACKER Monitor, a sophisticated sensor detects any unauthorised movement of the car, even if it is towed or lifted away. It then sends a warning signal to TRACKER's 24-hour monitoring centre who will call you to alert you of the possible theft.

Once activated, the TRACKER signal from the car is picked up by special detection equipment fitted in patrol cars and helicopters of every police force in the country, allowing them to locate the stolen vehicle to the exact spot.

Because TRACKER works via land-based radio transmission, it is virtually impossible to interrupt or block the signal, by hiding the car in a steel crate or concrete building for example, as may happen with some satellite systems, making TRACKER the most reliable tracking system in hostile or theft situations.

TRACKER Horizon operates in the same way as TRACKER Monitor with one exception. TRACKER Horizon also has a satellite locating device installed. Using the Global Positioning System constellation of 24 satellites, TRACKER Horizon enables the TRACKER control centre to immediately establish the geographical location of the stolen vehicle through its GPS mapping screens. The Police then use TRACKER's proven radio transmission technology to pinpoint the location of the stolen vehicle wherever it may be hidden, including steel containers and garages where other satellite systems fail to maintain contact.

With TRACKER detection equipment installed in patrol cars and helicopters, TRACKER is operated directly by all English, Scottish and Welsh police forces and by Group 4 in conjunction with the RUC in Northern Ireland.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 02:28:19 pm »

My wife is in the process of buying a soft top car, the insurance company insists on fitting a tracking device, probably a good idea anyway.

My Father had two soft top cars, a MG Miget and a Mini (Rover) cabriolet... The MG was stolen and someone attempted to have the Mini away within hours of the Alarm / imobiliser being fitted.
As well as the tracker, add a visual deterant to the car, one of those 'dustbin lids' that fits over the steering wheel... and dont leave anything of value in the car.. EVER.

Sooner or later, someone will try to get in it or have it away...

das boot

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 06:50:34 pm »

A total and utter waste of time, we had them fitted to several vehicles at work, my sweeper included. A little bit of research and a mobile PDA/phone with SatNav installed, a press of a couple of buttons on the phone and I'd swept the best part of the Isle of Wight, some of the North Sea, the Forth Bridge(twice) and an oil rig just off Aberdeen. Management couldn't understand it, they thought the unit itself was faulty so it was changed...I managed to sweep all of Plymouth Harbour by lunchtime the next day without even getting my feet wet!

Couple of days later the tracker was removed...bye bye Big Brother.  %)

Rich

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 07:12:53 pm »

A total and utter waste of time, we had them fitted to several vehicles at work, my sweeper included. A little bit of research and a mobile PDA/phone with SatNav installed, a press of a couple of buttons on the phone and I'd swept the best part of the Isle of Wight, some of the North Sea, the Forth Bridge(twice) and an oil rig just off Aberdeen. Management couldn't understand it, they thought the unit itself was faulty so it was changed...I managed to sweep all of Plymouth Harbour by lunchtime the next day without even getting my feet wet!

Rich

...and an oil rig just off Aberdeen
  {-)

Wait, you used locations created on the PDA transmitted through the satellite antenna and spoofed the tracking system?

%)

dogbone

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 07:39:41 pm »

have a look for a removable steering wheel boss.
my son uses one on his mk1 golf. the insurance did not believe him so they came out and had a look.
saved himself a mint. locks it in the boot when hes out brings it in when hes at home.
no steering wheel means you ca'nt drive it away.
 better than any stupid alarm system going off every time a cat jumps on the bonnet.
and much cheaper than any tracking system.

das boot

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 07:44:04 pm »

Rich

{-)

Wait, you used locations created on the PDA transmitted through the satellite antenna and spoofed the tracking system?

%)

err...yep. Can't tell you any more, all hush-hush stuff, top secret and all that.. :police:

Worked though, the last thing I needed was a spy in the cab knowing where I was all the time.... :embarrassed:

Rich

Proteus

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 10:14:13 pm »

Rich

{-)

%)

err...yep. Can't tell you any more, all hush-hush stuff, top secret and all that.. :police:

Worked though, the last thing I needed was a spy in the cab knowing where I was all the time.... :embarrassed:

Rich

So you where able to block 20 satellites and a mobile phone link by using your mobile phone  and  a PDA  that is no where near GPS freq   {:-{ and feed different timing info in to the mobile phone, so you hacked in to the phone system    :((

I think you want to sell it to the Russians they have been tyring do do this on a regular basis for a long time so they can stop missiles that use GPS.

Proteus

sinjon

• Sinjon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 01:17:17 pm »

Just a thank you to TT, very informative response.
Having one fitted by my local man £650 and that includes lifetime annual fees.
Porsche wanted £950 for fitting and £200 a year.

Colin
Colin

kiteman1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 07:37:09 pm »

That was an interesting explanation of the Tracker, Tiger.

It would be interesting to know what they do with surface vessels, particularly with the hijackings off Somalia as I seem to remember an article in the news recently stating that the latest vessel could have been hidden anywhere along that coast.  It seems that, even if a ship was sunk and the ransom still demanded, then a GPS satellite could locate it's position quite easily.

Would someone enlighten me please?

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 09:01:22 pm »

That was an interesting explanation of the Tracker, Tiger.

It would be interesting to know what they do with surface vessels, particularly with the hijackings off Somalia as I seem to remember an article in the news recently stating that the latest vessel could have been hidden anywhere along that coast.  It seems that, even if a ship was sunk and the ransom still demanded, then a GPS satellite could locate it's position quite easily.

Would someone enlighten me please?

What ship do you want to track?  ok2

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shiplocations.phtml?lat=50.83333&lon=-10.28333&radius=1000

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?level0=100

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 09:03:09 pm »

kiteman1
If a ship sinks at least 1 EPIRB (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons) floats free.
This is activated by immersion in sea water and sends a signal to GPS satelites which recognise the distress signal, the position and broadcasts the position to its communication centre and any ships in the area.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

catengineman

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 10:02:30 pm »

Which is why I will grab hold of the EPIRB if this ship is going down  :embarrassed: them its one inflateable for my gear inc tug and tools and one for ME  {-) the crew can use the "life boats" ;)

R,
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.