Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metal Suppliers  (Read 5088 times)

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
Metal Suppliers
« on: April 20, 2009, 12:08:18 pm »

For some time I have been buying my metal supplies from the Metal Supermarket in Livingston. They would cut to any size, let me root around the offcuts, never look aside at my small orders and, of course, I never had to pay for postage or delivery. Now they have shut down.

Can anyone recommend a supplier in the West Lothian, Edinburgh or Glasgow area who is similarly prepared to supply small quantities of metal to modellers?

Thanks for all replies,

Barry M

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Metal Suppliers
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 01:02:24 pm »

To answer my own question and for anybody else searching. The newly opened 'Metal Centre' at 7 Adam Square, Livingston, EH54 9DE. Tel. 01506 591859.   http://blakegroup.co.uk/MetalCentre/Default.aspx?pid=14     Happy to sell small quantities of ferrous and non-ferrous at a fair price and with offcut racks to rake through.

Also based at leith

Barry M

grs

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 12:33:18 am »

Mallard Metals  http://www.mallardmetals.co.uk/  They have a good selection. I know of them through my interest in clock and watch repairing. Great for small quantities.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 08:22:42 am »

Aye, I know about Mallard but the drawback with all mail order suppliers is the postage. If you are ordering aluminium or something special and very hard to get, fair enough but try ordering a couple of feet of brass bar and it fair mounts up. The new local Metal Centre suits me fine.

Thanks anyway,

Barry M

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 09:19:11 am »

The best metal and materials supplier you can find is your own mouth.

Tell everyone you know that you can use any sorts of offcuts, and you will soon find that over time, when people are having a clearout of garages and sheds they will think of you. Friends, neighbours, workmates, even people down the pub. Even an old computer printer will have loads of useful bits inside, it just takes a little time to get to them.

It doesn't get the right material at the right time, but you soon build up a stock of allsorts.

I keep most of mine in a large plastic storage box outside in the garden, and a quick rummage thru will soon turn up something that is ideal for the job.

Maybe a little on the large side for making model boats, but this is how most of my material gets to me. Throwaway bits of no further use to anyone. BTW, they are sitting on top of my outside storage box. Even the 4ft x 4ft sheets of 10mm thick perspex were discards, and even though not for use yet, they are earmarked for a major job in the near future.

A little bit of work.

And it becomes very useable material, the big blue discs are 3.5" diameter cast iron.

And these are donation boxes of bits and pieces, sorted into usefull bits. This is only part of it, wire and rod is stored in another area, and most of it was free. 

Basically, nothing is thrown away until it truly has no further use.

All you need to do is open your mouth, and have a little bit of insight into how to get the best out of what you have been given. It most probably won't be spot on for the job, but with a little work, it can be made to be.

Bogs

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 10:16:19 am »

John,

Right enough. Modellers and model engineers should be able to spot the potential in unlikely sources. My build of your engine design which you were good enough to comment on as a "nice build" incorporated brass sounding weights, bits from laser printer cartridges, old clock mechanism cheek plates and a 'whatsit' found by the roadside. I only bought what couldn't be found in my oddnsods box.

Wombles Rule!

Barry M
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.