Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reversing pole on motor  (Read 2825 times)

Mark47

Reversing pole on motor
« on: January 28, 2009, 02:58:16 pm »

Hi all,

Is it possible to reverse the pole on a motor? I read some where that they run better/more efficient in anticlockwise. But if your running a twin screw, would it not make sense to reverse the pole on one of them for max performance?

Can some one tell me how to go about doing this?

Thanks

Mark

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Reversing pole on motor
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 03:20:03 pm »

Mark,

If you are referrng to a DC motor, just swap the pos and neg leads on the motor over, it will then run backwards.

If you mean a brushless motor, swap over any two of the three connections at the motor and it will run in the opposite direction.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

andyn

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 03:21:44 pm »

'Reversing the pole' as you put it is just changing the wires over the other direction...

Just about every propellor you can buy is for anticlockwise turning too.

Proteus

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 03:31:35 pm »

Be aware some model car motors have up to 27deg of advance so will run better in one direction, if you go for the likes of speed motors they are quiet neutral and will run similar both ways , some motors can be adjusted even sealed ones but its best to go for a motor without advance, steer clear of buggy sealed motors.

Proteus

Mark47

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 04:27:07 pm »

Yes I meant DC motors.

I am going to reverse the pos and neg. But I thought I read some where that you can reverse the brushes. It was a long time ago mind you, so I could be wrong about that.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Mark

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 05:03:08 pm »

If it was a really venerable book, the reference could have been about wound field motors.  You do have to perform a few tricks to persuade these to reverse, but 99.99and a bit% of the brushed motors that you can buy today will be permanent magnet types, no problems reversing them.
Some buggy motors are arranged for optimum performance in one direction, but have very limited boat use.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.